Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miquel Westano View Post
    I wondered that as well. And, at first I felt that it was a bit high handed. Until I got to thinking the reason I come here is because the site runs well, has few if any argument issues and is almost always spot on topic. In short everything most forums are not.

Then I realized, this forum is what it is, because the mods do their job diligently. After reading the explanations above it confirmed it wasn't some arbitrary decision, it was for the good of the forum and made perfect sense.

Being a mod likely has times when unpopular decisions are made. But ultimately without them, the forum would degrade quickly.
    I agree with everything you said BUT they could simply allow long time users the ability to sell electronics. I'm sure there were a lot of guys on this forum interested in a good inReach that may otherwise not get the chance. ie if you have more than say 1000 posts then your most likely not going to try to make this place like EBay.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    If selling electronics is too "off topic", then we might as well get rid of the "Roundtable Off-Topic" section because it's...well, off topic. But I hope not since I like that section.

If you want to somehow justify that since it's being paid for, that's fine. Then let only donating members sell electronics. Flashlights, headlamps, lanterns, GPS, cameras, GoPros, watches, all fit well here IMO. I don't see how that's any different from a water filter or thermacell.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Then let only donating members sell electronics. Flashlights, headlamps, lanterns, GPS, cameras, GoPros, watches, all fit well here IMO. I don't see how that's any different from a water filter or thermacell.
    Now this is a good idea but it wasn't an off topic issue as much as a board management issue.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Now this is a good idea but it wasn't an off topic issue as much as a board management issue.
    I know, I just threw that out there before someone else did...I like to try to be mind reader sometimes. Lots of devils advocates out there ready to go at it!

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I agree with everything you said BUT they could simply allow long time users the ability to sell electronics. I'm sure there were a lot of guys on this forum interested in a good inReach that may otherwise not get the chance. ie if you have more than say 1000 posts then your most likely not going to try to make this place like EBay.
    I hope you did not take my comments as a dig at you or anyone else who differs in opinion. I was simply stating I at first thought it was just a rule to be a rule, and that after reading more and thinking it over I saw the other side of it.

I have been on several topic forums for motorcycles, hiking and golf that I eventually left due to content being unregulated and/or left abandoned. My comment here was not so much about the content as it was about the excellent mod work, which I expect is a tireless and oft thankless task. I was here for some time just shopping the F/S area for used gear with little other participation. The F/S board here flows well and stays current. Again, I meant no dig in any way to you or anyone that has a different opinion. I was just kind of tipping my hat to the mods. This is one of the few forums I have become a donator to. And, it was because of how well the site is ran, the great knowledge and good folks.

Peace

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miquel Westano View Post
    I hope you did not take my comments as a dig at you or anyone else who differs in opinion. I was simply stating I at first thought it was just a rule to be a rule, and that after reading more and thinking it over I saw the other side of it.

I have been on several topic forums for motorcycles, hiking and golf that I eventually left due to content being unregulated and/or left abandoned. My comment here was not so much about the content as it was about the excellent mod work, which I expect is a tireless and oft thankless task. I was here for some time just shopping the F/S area for used gear with little other participation. The F/S board here flows well and stays current. Again, I meant no dig in any way to you or anyone that has a different opinion. I was just kind of tipping my hat to the mods. This is one of the few forums I have become a donator to. And, it was because of how well the site is ran, the great knowledge and good folks.

Peace
    I in now way took this as a dig but rather a very well articulated post that is well deserved by the moderators of this forum. I was just adding on a suggestion as a way for long time users to share some good gear.

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    If you want to somehow justify that since it's being paid for, that's fine. Then let only donating members sell electronics. Flashlights, headlamps, lanterns, GPS, cameras, GoPros, watches, all fit well here IMO. I don't see how that's any different from a water filter or thermacell.
    I could get behind that idea and it could be in the Donating Members Only section. From what I gather the software is already set up to recognize it *but* it might also limit your audience.
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdventureMyk View Post
    I could get behind that idea and it could be in the Donating Members Only section. From what I gather the software is already set up to recognize it *but* it might also limit your audience.
    The mod team currently does not wish to expand the For Sale forum, donating or otherwise.
    We donate our time here because we enjoy hammocking and want to pay it forward to HF's for all it has taught us over the years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12