Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    WB BB XLC DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep/ WM bag
    I'm glad you asked this question! I have the same concerns as I'm shopping for my 1st quilt as well. I took slugbait's advice and just now measured my el cheapo Black Diamond down quilt. It measures 56" by 60". With longest side running top & bottom, I felt like I had enough draped around me laying on my side. I think for a 20 degree quilt I may choose a little bit wider quilt for more coverage, but 55" seems sufficient.

Worst case scenario (and I wholeheartedly believe this) I can resell it at a small loss- someone else out there wants the gear.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    One way to determine what quilt is right for you is to take a sheet or blanket and fold and safety pin it to the dimensions you're considering. Now you can test it both in your hammock and on the ground (shudder!) to see if it will work for you.
    Yes, thank you! Now if you could just assure me there will be no drafts, ever, that would be great! Ha ha! Since I started this thread, it's become very clear just how much I'm freaking out about that possibility as compared to a sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmaster Blaster View Post
    I'm glad you asked this question! I have the same concerns as I'm shopping for my 1st quilt as well. I took slugbait's advice and just now measured my el cheapo Black Diamond down quilt. It measures 56" by 60". With longest side running top & bottom, I felt like I had enough draped around me laying on my side. I think for a 20 degree quilt I may choose a little bit wider quilt for more coverage, but 55" seems sufficient.
    Glad the thread helped and that you figured out what you need! What kind of taper did you end up picking?

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmaster Blaster View Post
    Worst case scenario (and I wholeheartedly believe this) I can resell it at a small loss- someone else out there wants the gear.
    I wish it was that easy for those of us who aren't in the States! It would be a huge loss for me to sell it right away after the exchange and taxes etc., plus the more expensive shipping here.... It's just best for me to do it right the first time, which I'm sure is part of why I'm fretting so much.

Images
    After a while, one learns to "tuck and roll" and not even fully wake up.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Yes, thank you! Now if you could just assure me there will be no drafts, ever, that would be great! Ha ha! Since I started this thread, it's become very clear just how much I'm freaking out about that possibility as compared to a sleeping bag.
    I had the same concern coming from a sleeping bag.... I no longer have that concern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    After a while, one learns to "tuck and roll" and not even fully wake up.
    Ha ha ha! Yes, of course. I forgot about what we can learn in our sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I had the same concern coming from a sleeping bag.... I no longer have that concern.
    Thanks for that!

-------------------

So here' what happened.... I woke up, or was woken up rather, at around 4:30 this morning, and in my sleepy mind I started measuring me in my hammock. Because of all this, I had my sleeping bag close by, so I reached out and grabbed it. You see, as someone who sews like a 3 year old, I do not own pins to pin anything with, so that method was not as accessible to me, so what I was attempting to do is just tuck and see how much was left, or fold at an approximate width of 45" or 50" and see what would happen, but doing this was never enough; I did not feel convinced.

Anyway, what I ended up doing was taking my barrel style sleeping bag, which measures 60" for most of it and zipped it up. This left me with 30" at the shoulders and the tiniest bit less at the hips, or maybe less because of the fold, and I laid that on top of me in my hammock. And guess what? It fit... just. It was probably the equivalent of sleeping in one of those very minimal mummy bags, but it fit. When I laid on my side, I had to really be diligent about tucking at my hips , and yes, there was some to tuck, but if that's all I had in an emergency situation, I could easily make it work, not on the ground, but in a hammock? Definitely. On my back, I was laughing, and around my shoulders, I thought I would be floating in anything larger. In fact, I wish I had done this when I was out in the bush freezing my butt off, because this sleeping bag sucks. Ha ha!

So then I imagined the quilt being 15" to 20" wider, and felt myself relax and ooze. I thought, even if I gained a few inches as I age, I would be fine. And with all those extra inches, I would be just fine on the ground if need be.

And that, wonderful women, and those in between, is how I decided a 50" full tapered top quilt, with a 45" hip area, would easily work for me!

I hope this has been helpful to someone out there! Thank you to all who reached out to help me with their wisdom!

Hammock
    just an ENO doublenest right now
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    I have been lurking on this thread because I don't own a topquilt, and have found everything very informative! Thank you for asking the question!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefen View Post
    I have been lurking on this thread because I don't own a topquilt, and have found everything very informative! Thank you for asking the question!
    Thanks for reading! Maybe you could come back and let people know what helped you and what you chose, once you get a topquilt?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12