Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Hips and the Tapered TQ

Hello Everyone!

I am about to buy my first TQ, and I was wondering if any of you side-sleeping women had even felt you needed to consider your hip measurements when buying a TQ, and how that might have influenced your choice in tapered vs. non-tapered choices?

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    No one??? Maybe I need to specify what I'm talking about?

I was just considering that a lot of women are not shaped like a V like the male body that the tapered ended top quilt is based on. A lot of women have hips that might be a bit or even a lot larger than their chest and shoulders, and hips don't shrink down like shoulders can when we sleep on our sides.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has had any problems that a woman should be aware of in keeping that area covered when sleeping on your side.

Either way, please chime in! I really want to buy a TQ asap, and this is the only consideration I don't have clear in my head.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    My TQ is 55" full 10" taper....meaning, it's 50" in the middle. .. And it doesn't have to go all the way around.

Lay on the your side, measure up and over and add 6" for fiddle room. That is a good ballpark estimate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    My TQ is 55" full 10" taper....meaning, it's 50" in the middle. .. And it doesn't have to go all the way around.

Lay on the your side, measure up and over and add 6" for fiddle room. That is a good ballpark estimate.

Thanks!

I think I'm just having the "first quilt paranoia" thing happening, and needing some reassurance. With a very loose measurement over baggy jeans, laying on the floor, I'll have a good amount extra, way past the suggested 6" you mention. Technically, I could easily get away with a tapered 50" TQ. But I'm still concerned. What isn't helping is, I am a full-timer inside and I woke up slightly cold the other night with my fleece up above my spine. I'm assuming a quilt will lay better than my skimpy Ikea fleece? I know my sleeping bag has, but it's 60" unzipped. I had been considering getting the 50" FJ with a half taper, but that's not offered anymore, and the Bandit doesn't come in a half taper.

Anyway, I'll way my options.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    TaR Sm Scout
    I side sleep and did consider the measurement but my hips had no effect on tapered vs tapered...sorry I can't help but GL!
    Ashley aka Toast

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast View Post
    I side sleep and did consider the measurement but my hips had no effect on tapered vs tapered...sorry I can't help but GL!
    Actually, this is good information! Thank you!!!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Thanks!

I think I'm just having the "first quilt paranoia" thing happening, and needing some reassurance. With a very loose measurement over baggy jeans, laying on the floor, I'll have a good amount extra, way past the suggested 6" you mention. Technically, I could easily get away with a tapered 50" TQ. But I'm still concerned. What isn't helping is, I am a full-timer inside and I woke up slightly cold the other night with my fleece up above my spine. I'm assuming a quilt will lay better than my skimpy Ikea fleece? I know my sleeping bag has, but it's 60" unzipped. I had been considering getting the 50" FJ with a half taper, but that's not offered anymore, and the Bandit doesn't come in a half taper.

Anyway, I'll way my options.

Thanks again!
    I'm not sure what your meaning by 'lay better'. If you mean that it drapes better over you, or doesn't 'bridge', the Bandit with its N-S channels on the torso is designed to minimize that effect. As far as 50" half taper vs 55" full taper, you are talking a VERY small difference. Both would be identical from the hips down, the full taper just gives 2.5" extra at the head end on each side.

If you haven't already, give Paul (UGQ) a call, he'll help you figure things out as well (and sell you an amazing quilt )...... Or ask to talk to Missy.. Maybe she can speak to your concerns better.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I JUST bought myself my first ever TQ about two weeks ago - I'm also a side sleeper, and I had similar concerns. When I measured, the smallest width was still way over the recommended 6" above what my shoulders and hips measured at. I emailed George at LLG and asked a ton of questions because I just didn't want to get it wrong. So I agree with the above suggestion in talking to the vendor, even giving them your measurements and needs and they will be able to steer you in the right direction. I understand your concern though - so many considerations, so many factors and often very expensive. You just want to get it right!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I'm not sure what your meaning by 'lay better'. If you mean that it drapes better over you, or doesn't 'bridge', the Bandit with its N-S channels on the torso is designed to minimize that effect. As far as 50" half taper vs 55" full taper, you are talking a VERY small difference. Both would be identical from the hips down, the full taper just gives 2.5" extra at the head end on each side.

If you haven't already, give Paul (UGQ) a call, he'll help you figure things out as well (and sell you an amazing quilt )...... Or ask to talk to Missy.. Maybe she can speak to your concerns better.

I meant the sleeping bag doesn't move with my body like the fleece does. The fleece tends to cling, so if I move, it moves.

And, yeah, I already have an UQ from them, so I'm pretty excited about this new purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    I JUST bought myself my first ever TQ about two weeks ago - I'm also a side sleeper, and I had similar concerns. When I measured, the smallest width was still way over the recommended 6" above what my shoulders and hips measured at. I emailed George at LLG and asked a ton of questions because I just didn't want to get it wrong. So I agree with the above suggestion in talking to the vendor, even giving them your measurements and needs and they will be able to steer you in the right direction. I understand your concern though - so many considerations, so many factors and often very expensive. You just want to get it right!
    Congrats on your new TQ! Very exciting! And thanks for your input, much appreciated.

---------------------

Thanks for your responses. I have emailed the vendor about this in the past, but my question didn't exactly get answered. I think the concern got lost in all the other questions I asked.

What I was hoping to get by posting here is the experience of different women with different bodies, with differently tapered TQ's, and why they chose what they chose, something most vendors can't really depict the outcome of once its left their shop.

I also thought it was an important thread to post since this is a women specific consideration that women seem to quietly deal with themselves and I would have thought it would be nice to be able to read about here, just like all the other informative threads on picking a TQ.

Images
    One way to determine what quilt is right for you is to take a sheet or blanket and fold and safety pin it to the dimensions you're considering. Now you can test it both in your hammock and on the ground (shudder!) to see if it will work for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast