Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Snugpak underblanket on Hennessy Explorer

Hello I'm new to the forum and in need of some help. I got my new hammock and underblanket this week but i really don't understand how the easiest way to set up the underblanket for my Hennessy should be. Does anyone have any tips or modifications (if needed) to share? =)

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I used my Snugpak UQ with my HH expedition. It can be a tricky UQ to hang. I tied the main suspension into a large loop and clipped it to each end of the hammock, just like a regular UQ. Then, to keep the ends up I tied a small length of small diameter shock cord to each of the 4 loops in the middle of the ends of the UQ and ran each to a prussik that was on the primary suspension. I could then slide the prussiks up toward the hammock whipping which would lift the ends of the quilt up. After that I then clipped the 2 loops on each long side of the quilt to the asym pull outs of the hammock since they line ulp perfectly, this held the UQ open and gave me more room inside. This method works OK, but the best way to hang the Snugpak UQ to any hammock is to modify the suspension to mimic a HG incubator or other UQ that uses a primary and secondary and also add end channels with shock cord to sinch each end up. I just did a vid showing the mods I did to mine and other than hand sewing the end channels on, it was just adding smaller diameter shock cord for the primary suspension and adding the secondary. This method will hang the quilt just like most regular UQ's and you can still use the loops on the sides to clip to the hammock tie outs to hold it open. Here's a pic of mine on my HH and the vid of my mods. I suck at sewing and the Channels only took a few mins to do by hand, anyone can do this mod.
    https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=Z6F79IZtGJE

Here it is on my cheap Equip hammock, before I added the end channels. I ran cord from the 4 end loops , through the corner loops and up to a common carabinier on each end which I clipped to a prussic on my RL. I could slide the prussiks and lift the ends of the UQ up. See how the cord goes from the middle loop, through the loop on the corner and pulls the middle loop and quilt up....

Last edited by Chesapeake; 07-21-2017 at 10:15.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Is you HH the classic (bottom opening) or zip model?
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Is you HH the classic (bottom opening) or zip model?
    Mine was the classic bottom entry. Getting in and out isn't as difficult as you'd think. Just pull the UQ to the side, open the omni tape slit, get in and the quilt will snap back into position when you sit and get your legs in , pretty much exactly where it was. You might have to tug at it a little from the inside sometimes but for the most part it snaps back into place. Getting out is the same : open the slit, use your foot or hand to pull the side of the UQ down and then put both legs out. Your legs will hold it open and to the side. Once your out it goes back into place again. When I got my JRB winter nest it was the same steps if I wasn't using the omni tape on the UQ to marry it to the HH bottom slit. I believe Pan has a vid on the JRB website on how to put a nest on a HH, in it he describes how to get in and out when not using the slits married together. I just saw you have a Nest and HH so your familiar with how to get in and out already. The Snugpak UQ works great with a HH since its got the asym loops on each side like a nest/winter nest.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    I used my SnugPak on my Hennessy and mine was a birth canal enter model. I just slipped the underblamket aside to get in and out. It sprung right back into position with just a little help in the right direction using my foot. It actually fit better on my Hennessy that is has on any of my other hammocks.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Yeah it fit great on my Expedition as well. Using the grosgrain loops on the UQ with the asym pullouts on the hammock really help to keep the inside opened up when in warmer temps. When it got down below 40° or so, I'd usually only use the foot end pullout with the UQ and the head end pullout without. Doing that still held the quilt out more by my feet to give me room and put the insulation right where it would be in a non-HH , on my left shoulder. I did the same with my JRB winter nest after Pan recommended trying it. Having the UQ on your shoulder really helps to keep you warmer in cold weather.

Interesting mod. I used my UQ last night for the first time and I will sew the channels as well. I experienced that I didn't get the UQ under my feets, that end was lying under the hammock and did'nt want to go up again.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    You'll be happier with it if you do the mods. I liked mine before, but didn't really use it that much BC it was such a pain to hang and adjust. Now, I've been using it every night since I hang inside at home too. The loops on the sides even line up with one of the mitten hooks on the head side pullout and the ribbon on the back side of my XLC. Before I get in I'll tie the ribbon around the one loop to keep it in place, and after I get in I clip it into the mitten hook to hold it open , which also keeps it right on my shoulder and feet all night with no slippage. I might even add loops in the same spots on my jungle blanket UQ for the same effect on it. Having it held open even a little bit makes a big difference when its hot and humid !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak blanket
    Suspension
    Wooppies/ Dyneema/
    Images
    There is a cool little video by a guy name ' short Round's gear review! That should be helpful. You'll have to buy some bling from Dutchware , but it will make your rig work better. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I tried mine like that at first without the end channels and just the upgraded suspension, but I found that it snugged up too tight underneath and compressed the UQ on my hammocks. With the end channels I can have it not as tight so it doesn't sit so high, but still seals the ends up. Short rounds vid is what gave me the idea to mod mine, its a great vid and mod. I just felt having the channels gave me more play in how I hung it, especially when its cold, but his way definetly works just as good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast