Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Help me close the deal on a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair

I've got one in my cart right now but need some help on the options. Here's my situation:

6'0", 200 lbs
    Not at all concerned about weight of the hammock set up. Use mostly via car, kayak or bike; not much long duration hiking involved in my camping.
    Primary concerns are comfort, ease and durability.
    Hammock will be used primarily to sleep in (side sleeper preference). I have a little ENO for just hanging out in.

Here's where I could use some help:

1. Suspension. Currently have ENO atlas daisy chain straps. Work just fine for me. If I just order the hammock with continuous loops, I can just attach a carabiner to the continuous loop and attach that to my daisy chain straps, right? On that topic, I'm thinking I will do "integrated" vs. "removable" continuous loops. If I did removable loops, is there any reason to remove the loops other than cutting weight? I would guess the downsides to my continuous loop-carabiner-daisy chain are weight and adjust-ability? I'm sure this setup is considered heavy and not as adjustable as whoopies. Any other reason I would want whoopies/removable loops instead?

2. Ridge Line; This hammock is available with a fixed ridgeline or you can buy an adjustable ridgeline. About the same price either way. With the fixed ridgeline, it is fixed at the 83% standard length. I'm thinking I would do the adjustable ridgeline for 2 reasons, first it is adjustable. 2nd it seems to me that it is "removable". In other words, if you want to just sit in the hammock and don't want a ridgeline in your face, it would be nice to have a ridgeline that is removable? But, that would involve re-setting the ridgeline each time I would want to sleep in the hammock? Again, maybe I'm missing some important consideration on this option.

3. Fabric, bug net weight and zippers: This hammock has fabric options and I think I am set there. Just looking at a durable weight fabric with a double bottom to accommodate a pad. That part seems pretty idiot-proof. On the bug net, there are two different weights available; a .9 oz and a .7 oz. I assume that just comes down to cutting weight? Any reason I should consider one net material over the other if I don't care about weight? Is one "warmer" or "cooler" than the other? Lastly, zippers; they have #5 and a #3 zipper. Is that a weight deal as well? I assume a #5 zipper is "beefier" than a #3 or is it like wire where the smaller the number, the heavier the material?

I can call Jared on Friday (he is off on Thursdays) but thought I'd ask for the perspective of anyone on the forum willing to give their thoughts on my dumb questions. Just trying to avoid making a bad decision on these options. To be frank, I don't know what I don't know on some of these options.

Thanks! Dan

I have the new hanger package which is the trail lair with the most popular options in 1.6 Oz wide fabric. Personally I suggest the buckle system with the 3000lb straps. I know it is heavier but have found that the straps are longer than my son's (same package except zippers and straps). So obviously I can go a greater distance between trees than him. I do mean by a fair amount. Personally I think the straps are just as fast as the eno straps. As far as the zippers it's a toss up. Ridgeline, gotta have with the integrated bug net. It is never in your face and blends right in to the netting. Very comfortable setup, I do get calf ridge but a small blow up pillow from Dutch solved that. Spent 2 weeks with scouts camping in Florida and in Iowa and loved every minute in my hammock. Jared is extremely fast and wonderful to work with. Pull that trigger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/LLG CP
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    First congrats on your decision to get a Trail Lair they are a well respected hammock and you will not be disappointed. I will do my best to answer your questions.

1. Yes you can larks head the caribiner to the continuous loop and use your existing straps. As far as the permanent crafted through the channels or removable I am not exactly sure what the permanent is I believe Jared splices the loop through the ends of the hammock so it is not removable and has to be cut if replacement is needed. Where as removable the loop is passed through the end of the hammock and larks headed so it can be removed without destroying the continuous loop. I am not sure what other advantages are with the different methods. Yes your cabinier strap combo would be considerably heavier than woopies and less adjustable, but use whatever you are comfortable with. Another option would be cinch buckles heavier than woopies but easier to adjust and setup.

2. I believe with the trail Lair or any other integerated net hammock you need to use a fixed ridgeline since the net is made a fixed length you can't adjust the ridgeline length or it would put stress on the big net. You can still make it removable if you wanted dutchware gear makes a carabiner for this purpose just clip one end on or off the continuous loop. Just make sure you have it attached when you have the net deployed.

3. Net material is mostly weight related. .7 oz is lighter than .9 oz. also .7 oz will stretch sightly where .9 does not both are noseum so air flow would be the same. For the zippers #5 is heavier and more robust than #3.

Hope this answers at least some of your questions and enjoy your new hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY, SLD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ/EE/JRB/WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I could be wrong but I would be careful with the adjustable ridgeline. Making it shorter would be fine. If you adjust it out to long you could stress or tear the bugnet. I have a trail lair and like it. Jared does great work. Also no such thing as dumb questions. We are all here to learn together.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You'll get various opinions here and most are great input, but definitely give Jared a call. He's awesome to deal with and makes a great product. That reminds me, my new SLD Winter Haven tarp should be in the mailbox tomorrow (giggle).
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good advice above, especially the part about contacting Jared. He is great to deal with and will be glad to answer any of your questions.

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Thanks all for the thoughts here. I posted my original questions above at about 10:00 last night my time. After reading through how responsive Jared has been for others, I thought I'd send him an email with my questions. I emailed him about 10:30 last night with all of the questions I posted above. He got back to me within 30 minutes with answers to my questions at 11:00 last night! Wow, if I had any doubts about ordering this hammock, they were just eliminated. Some fantastic service right there.

In terms of answers to my questions, here's the gist of what he said:

1. Suspension options: He commented that the continuous loop options are less about weight and more about being able to use 1 suspension system with multiple hammocks. He mentioned that many people have multiple hammocks but 1 suspension and having removable continuous loops allows you to transfer your suspension from one hammock to another.

2. Fixed ridgeline: He definitely recommended this with the Lair for all the reasons mentioned above regarding the net. If you don't have the ridgeline short enough, you risk damage to the net. He strongly recommended the fixed ridgeline with this particular hammock. Even with a "fixed" ridgeline, you can still "disconnect" the ridgeline if you have the net unzipped and want to use the hammock as more of a chair. Based on what he shared with me, it sounds as though the ridgeline connects with carabiners on each end and can easily be removed/installed. I was interpreting "fixed" as "permanent" when really all it means is that the length is fixed. You can still take the ridgeline on and off fairly easily based on what he described to me.

3. Net: Jared mentioned that the .9oz net is slightly more durable than the .7oz but the .7oz is a "finer" material with smaller holes. He said the difference in hole size is adequate for nearly all bugs and that 95% of his orders are for the .9oz net

4. Zippers: Exactly as mentioned above; the #5 is just beefier (heavier). He said with both the #3 and the #5, he has never had a zipper fail so either option would be fine.

One thing I neglected to ask was regarding the "sleeve" for the pad. I'm looking at the double bottom version with a sleeve for the pad. For those of you that use this style, is the sleeve a "channel" sewn into the bottom of the hammock? In other words, does the pad slide in and stay in a channel at the bottom of the hammock or can the pad simply float around between the bottom two layers? Ultimately what I'm trying to understand is if you lay in the hammock on a diagonal, can you align a pad on the diagonal as well or is the pad confined to a straight channel following the length of the hammock?

If there is no "channel", you could get the pad diagonal but then how do you prevent the pad from floating out of position between the two layers?

Thanks all for your time and thoughts on this!

Dan
    Last edited by Iceiceguy; 07-20-2017 at 09:58.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceiceguy View Post
    I've got one in my cart right now but need some help on the options. Here's my situation:

6'0", 200 lbs
    Not at all concerned about weight of the hammock set up. Use mostly via car, kayak or bike; not much long duration hiking involved in my camping.
    Hammock will be used primarily to sleep in (side sleeper preference). I have a little ENO for just hanging out in.

Here's where I could use some help:

1. Suspension. Currently have ENO atlas daisy chain straps. Work just fine for me. If I just order the hammock with continuous loops, I can just attach a carabiner to the continuous loop and attach that to my daisy chain straps, right? On that topic, I'm thinking I will do "integrated" vs. "removable" continuous loops. If I did removable loops, is there any reason to remove the loops other than cutting weight? I would guess the downsides to my continuous loop-carabiner-daisy chain are weight and adjust-ability? I'm sure this setup is considered heavy and not as adjustable as whoopies. Any other reason I would want whoopies/removable loops instead?

2. Ridge Line; This hammock is available with a fixed ridgeline or you can buy an adjustable ridgeline. About the same price either way. With the fixed ridgeline, it is fixed at the 83% standard length. I'm thinking I would do the adjustable ridgeline for 2 reasons, first it is adjustable. 2nd it seems to me that it is "removable". In other words, if you want to just sit in the hammock and don't want a ridgeline in your face, it would be nice to have a ridgeline that is removable? But, that would involve re-setting the ridgeline each time I would want to sleep in the hammock? Again, maybe I'm missing some important consideration on this option.

3. Fabric, bug net weight and zippers: This hammock has fabric options and I think I am set there. Just looking at a durable weight fabric with a double bottom to accommodate a pad. That part seems pretty idiot-proof. On the bug net, there are two different weights available; a .9 oz and a .7 oz. I assume that just comes down to cutting weight? Any reason I should consider one net material over the other if I don't care about weight? Is one "warmer" or "cooler" than the other? Lastly, zippers; they have #5 and a #3 zipper. Is that a weight deal as well? I assume a #5 zipper is "beefier" than a #3 or is it like wire where the smaller the number, the heavier the material?

I can call Jared on Friday (he is off on Thursdays) but thought I'd ask for the perspective of anyone on the forum willing to give their thoughts on my dumb questions. Just trying to avoid making a bad decision on these options. To be frank, I don't know what I don't know on some of these options.

Thanks! Dan
    1- yes, you can use what you have just as you describe, using a carabiner. The type of continuous loop has more to do with how it is whipped. You won't want to remove it, unless you were to install a whoopie sling directly to the hammock. Either option here would work. I like the removable type for what I feel is added strength of the continuous loop cinched around the whipping. Plenty of people use both.

2- You probably want to just go with a fixed ridgeline. As others have said, you can't do much adjusting on it without adversely affecting the bug net. Longer and you stretch the bug net lengthwise, shorter and you stretch it width wise because you introduce more sag. Also, it is not removable any easier than a fixed one is.

3- IMO, these are durability vs. weight issues. Your choice. And yes #5 is beefier than #3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Connected with Jared on the underpad question. There is no channel so the pad can be oriented however is most comfortable for the user. I suppose you can expect a bit of "drift" of the pad in this case but seems like the better of the two options to me (vs. a channel).

Quote Originally Posted by Iceiceguy View Post
    Not at all concerned about weight of the hammock set up.
    Thanks! Dan
    Have you looked at the Sea to Summit ? https://goo.gl/9si1t3 You are not concerned about weight, but i suppose you don't want to carry a big heavy bag either

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast