Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sounds like the Permethrin is like crack to the spiders and doesn't really work on them. I believe I would get some of the Home Defense spray and spray that area really well.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I hesitated to open this post up and read it. Now that I did, I wish I didn't. Spiders bug me () so bad I should probably get therapy for it.

I don't have a solution for you, but I truly, TRULY sympathize with you.
    Good thing it I didn't get pics last night then huh? Yeah, I'm like a 6 yo girl when it comes to the evil little hell spawns. Yuk. Idk how I live here sometimes. I'm constantly at war with them, treating the whole yard, house, everywhere, with spider killer. I even sprayed the whole yard and my trees with bug killer to kill their food supply and starve them out......
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    how hot was the fire when you burned it all to the ground?

spiders just give me the heeby jeebies
    10-4 LMAO!! Fire bomb, then gasoline and more fire - buy new stuff...spiders would make me abandon my house and just start over!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was camping with my daughter in the Pine Barrens a few years ago when we witnessed a mass migration of thousands of wolf spiders. There were wolf spiders as far as the eye could see. Luckily none got near the hammocks or bugnets!
    I don't know if it was mating/breeding season, but that's the only time I've ever seen anything like it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'd be careful with that Deet stuff around your gear. That stuff melts plastic!
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Maybe the spiders were feasting on all the dead bugs? Also, where do you live that there are that many spiders?!
    That's a good point! If there were no spiders in the first day, and then the spiders found all the dead bugs (meals) it would make sense they all moved in??

I always find spider webs around my tarp lines, every one night stay. In the morning, there's webs in my lines.

Spiders bite sucks, but I don't mind the little guys, they intrigued me more than anything.
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I was camping with my daughter in the Pine Barrens a few years ago when we witnessed a mass migration of thousands of wolf spiders. There were wolf spiders as far as the eye could see. Luckily none got near the hammocks or bugnets!
    I don't know if it was mating/breeding season, but that's the only time I've ever seen anything like it.
    I've got those too. Most of mine are different types of orb weavers I believe, so not harmful, but I've got widows, wolfs and recluse's too and they suck bad. Most of those are in and around my firewood cords. We used to have Terminix come quarterly but the spiders just gave them the middle finger. I totally expect a higher than average spider population BC of being on the water and the larger than average bug populations due to it, but this is rediculous. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't dare use a stronger % DEET to keep the food chain and spiders in turn away from my rig for fear of damage to the delicate materials, and apparently Permethrin soaked EVERYTHING does nothing to them. Homemade Napalm may be my last option lol.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm going to quote one of my favorite authors here, replacing a couple of words for the situation.

"What on earth would I do if I witnessed a wolf spider migration? Why, I would die, of course. Literally s**t myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children's parties--I daresay it would even give a merry toot--and bleed to a messy death in my top quilt.”
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I'm going to quote one of my favorite authors here, replacing a couple of words for the situation.

"What on earth would I do if I witnessed a wolf spider migration? Why, I would die, of course. Literally s**t myself lifeless. I would blow my sphincter out my backside like one of those unrolling paper streamers you get at children's parties--I daresay it would even give a merry toot--and bleed to a messy death in my top quilt.”
    Thanks, Bill Bryson! I think the funniest part of the trip was when a two-inch wide wolf spider walked onto my leg. I'm not afraid of spiders, so I let him remain in place on my leg while we examined him with a headlamp. Lo and behold, we discovered that the spider's back was moving. On closer examination, we discovered the wolf spider was carrying hundreds of little babies on his back! When we shined the headlamps around, we could see the entire campsite covered in wolf spiders.

It was only 9:30 or so, but my daughter retired to the safety of the hammock and bugnet. She didn't want wolf spiders crawling across her leg!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Spiders are harder to kill with insecticides because they don't drag their bellies through them, they walk far above the insecticides. If you spray them with permethrin, they will die like all other bugs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast