Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE

Red River Gorge Trail Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a Red River Gorge trail for 1, possibly 2 nights (May 27-28, I know, it's Memorial Day weekend and it will probably be packed, but certainly there's room for all). We'll be leaving early Saturday morning. Don't worry, we'll pack like we're staying for 2 nights even if we only stay for one

Let me first start off by stating there will be three of us (me, my daughter and daughter-in-law), none of us are looking to log a lot of miles. This is their first hike/hammock overnight camping trip. And to be truthful, I am not a seasoned hiker, but slowly working on that.

We would be looking for a fairly easy 3 or so mile hike in. I have a water filtration system, so a water stop would be great. Although we will be carrying in water to start. We just want to take our time, embrace the scenery, have fun and enjoy!

So if you have any recommendations for a "please don't kill us" trail, overnight parking, etc. at Red River Gorge, we would be forever grateful.

Many thanks!

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    You will probably want to do a short loop type of trail. It will be crazy busy if weather is nice, so finding a place to camp may be difficult. If your wanting scenery Auxier Ridge trail #204 will give you very nice views. You can take that from the parking lot at the end of Tunnel Ridge Rd. It will follow a ridge line out past Haystack Rock to Courthouse Rock. From there you can head down in the valley #203 Auxier Branch Trail and cross over to Double Arch on the other side of the valley or camp along Auxier creek and then see Double Arch #201 the next day. You will see Double Arch on the next ridge while on Auxier Ridge. NOTE: Auxier Branch is the only water source for this hike! I think the whole loop is roughly 5-5.5 miles. On the way back from Double arch, if you still have time and energy, there are a couple of arches to see, Star Gap (which is a gem) and Arch of Triumph. You can take the loop in either direction, just remember the only water source is Auxier branch (creek) in the valley. Here is a link that will help with planning and have more details.

https://toredrivergorge.com/top-10-d...iles-unmarked/

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    Quote Originally Posted by KYHiker View Post
    You will probably want to do a short loop type of trail. It will be crazy busy if weather is nice, so finding a place to camp may be difficult. If your wanting scenery Auxier Ridge trail #204 will give you very nice views. You can take that from the parking lot at the end of Tunnel Ridge Rd. It will follow a ridge line out past Haystack Rock to Courthouse Rock. From there you can head down in the valley #203 Auxier Branch Trail and cross over to Double Arch on the other side of the valley or camp along Auxier creek and then see Double Arch #201 the next day. You will see Double Arch on the next ridge while on Auxier Ridge. NOTE: Auxier Branch is the only water source for this hike! I think the whole loop is roughly 5-5.5 miles. On the way back from Double arch, if you still have time and energy, there are a couple of arches to see, Star Gap (which is a gem) and Arch of Triumph. You can take the loop in either direction, just remember the only water source is Auxier branch (creek) in the valley. Here is a link that will help with planning and have more details.

https://toredrivergorge.com/top-10-d...iles-unmarked/
    KYHiker, thank you! Much appreciated!

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    If/when you get to the creek for camp follow it either up or down stream (at least 300ft for regulations)...I think there is only one site down stream from there. There are multiple established sites along the creek, don't be frustrated if the first few you come across are taken by mid afternoon Saturday! Also, there are literally dozens of sites up on the ridge off the old part of Tunnel Ridge road that is now part of Double arch trail. The paths to them are easy to spot exiting the road bed, most are not on any maps.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    Thank you KYHiker! This certainly helps us out a lot! We should be arriving late morning. All has been printed and duly noted.

Images
    My 2 cents:

Get the map set by OutrageGIS
    https://www.outragegis.com/gorge

Get the trail guides by Jerrell Goodpaster (Hinterlands deals with more of the lesser known areas).

As mentioned, camp sites will probably fill up quick. I'd plan to do your hiking early and claim your camp fairly early too. Anywhere you hope to camp, assume you might have to keep on hiking past that to find a place.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I would also check out Hanson's Point. It's an unofficial trial of .94 one way that leads as the Hinterland book describes as "the best view in the gorge". We made this last fall and it was amazing. It's located off Rough Trail. You can find map here: https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/...ons-point-spur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    Thank you all! Picked up GIS map at our local river and trails store this afternoon. They did not have Hinterland map. But also picked up the book by Sean Patrick Hill hiking the RRG.

Again, many thanks to all of you! Preparing meals today.

Images
    Hinterland is a trail guide (book). But it sounds like it's a little late in the game to worry about.

+1 on Hanson's point. My only reservation there is that if the camp sites along the trail (and there are a few) are full, you have to back track a good little ways just to get off the unofficial trail. There's no water out there. I remember two large camp areas and a few small sites along the trail. The view was amazing. Everywhere I went on my visit was amazing.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, LL, AHE
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Hinterland is a trail guide (book). But it sounds like it's a little late in the game to worry about.

+1 on Hanson's point. My only reservation there is that if the camp sites along the trail (and there are a few) are full, you have to back track a good little ways just to get off the unofficial trail. There's no water out there. I remember two large camp areas and a few small sites along the trail. The view was amazing. Everywhere I went on my visit was amazing.
    Hinterlands book is $199 on Amazon! Yikes!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast