Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Accidental double post....the forum software did it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Newbie here. Yet to sleep my first night in a hammock. Discovered a thermarest setup at a retailer. didn't bite. Did my homework, Ended up placing orders from Warbonnet, Dutchware and ordered The Ultimate Hang"

Then I Joined this site. Don't lose faith in us newbies, we are not all like lemmings. (Then again, Lemmings are not really like lemmings, at least in the way people think of them.)

Cheers!

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    ^This individual is what I was talking about Thinking got them here and that's what we want. (Welcome).
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    I wonder if the magazine review writers contacted any of the 'cottage/boutique' vendors for (returnable) samples for review.
    Do small vendors provide such samples?
    Also, most folks nowadays aren't very fond of the 'old' concept of delayed gratification, so being put on a wait list to get hammock gear isn't very appealing. If it isn't available locally or 'one click and two days for shipping', they aren't interested.
    Magazines have enough problems nowadays- they are probably sensitive about listing 'unobtanium' items as best buys.
    But, these thoughts are all suppositions.....
    Jacks R Better quilts were featured in two market summary reviews about 5 or 6 years back and Backpacker did a hammock an on line edition hammock review that was pretty uninformative and more comedy than useful info... But Hey that was back when JRB was also an advertiser.

FWIW Mountain Laurel Designs has also had a tarp, and one or two other articles in those market surveys.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It was your post that prompted me to reply to this thread Alifeoutdoors, I just got back from a camping trip on the weekend. My Warbonnet gear didn't arrive until yesterday so I was ground dwelling for what I hope is the last time. anyway, Funny story about the weekend.

I was with a friend and of course I am raving about the benefits of a hammock. I happened to have my Grand Trunk lounger with me and was playing with getting a ridgeline on it, setting up a cheap blue tarp over it just to play with the figure 9's I picked up. Essentially, I was just doing it to learn.

My friend asked me if I was sleeping in it and I said no. I did not have a pad, there was no bugnet (and the mosquitos were out in full force) and in the foothills it can get a little chilly at night. So, No, I'm waiting on my Blackbird, wooki and Superfly. So he asks me if he can sleep in it....... He has an inflatable pad......

So, I explain CBS again to him and he still wants to do it anyway so sure, go ahead..... Long story short, he froze his rear end and didn't last the night.

So, he tells me in the morning about it and I said "Yup, just like I told you" and he said, "Ya, I know but I kind of didn't really believe you......."

Now I've been thinking about that for the last few days. Why would he not believe me? I've never misled him on anything before. I had even showed him my copy of The Ultimate Hang so it wasn't just me he wasn't trusting..... I think some people just have to learn things for themselves, even if it is painful. Others, myself included, can read and determine reliable sources from chafe and then trust the information. On my first night in the hammock, I'm taking all your collective advise with me so I have the very best chance to have an enjoyable night.

I have also been insufferable in my monologs to my wife about the wonders of hammock camping and the exciting adventures it will help us create and in doing so, she has been watching videos with me. At one point, she says to me, why are you taking for gospel what just one guy is saying (at this point I realized every video I was putting on was one of Shug's. Big shout out to an very entertaining and most importantly, informative guy!!)

So, I had to explain to her that I'm not taking his word for anything lightly. An entire community has already vetted him, a community with a collective knowledge greater than any individual. She wasn't aware of the reading I had done here.

To tie this back to the topic, I wouldn't be too worried about how influenced people are by what they read in the magazines. Most people don't trust what they read anyway. When I showed my friend my copy of "The Ultimate Hang" He asked about the author and wanted to know why he was qualified!?! I had to explain that although I didn't actually know any of that, I do know it was created within this community and that the community again, vetted the author and I was comfortable with that.

Some people are going to buy into the idea of a hammock on impulse and fail from lack of knowledge, and we will never hear from them, Others are going to find their way here regardless of if they happened to be initially exposed through commercial advertising.

The idea of hanging idly and comfortably in a hammock in the mountains got my attention, it was the complexity of this deeply involved hobby that really got hold of me though. Having knowledge and skills that allow you to do something most others cannot is rewarding. Would hammocks really be as much fun if anyone could just tie one to two trees and have a perfect nights sleep? No Challenge at all? It just wouldn't be the same to me.....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    Having knowledge and skills that allow you to do something most others cannot is rewarding. Would hammocks really be as much fun if anyone could just tie one to two trees and have a perfect nights sleep? No Challenge at all? It just wouldn't be the same to me.....
    I agree. I miss when hanging was more of a "secret club" so to speak. A new idea. There were about 17,500 members when I joined over 5 years ago. Now it's up to 55,109. Of course I would be a jerk for being selfish and excluding people...can't do that. But I think you get the idea. I liked being "different". Now when I see a tent, they are a big exception...everyone has a hammock strung up. I don't remember the last time I saw an all-tent camp. At the very least someone has a hammock strung up for day lounging.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    It was your post that prompted me to reply to this thread Alifeoutdoors, I just got back from a camping trip on the weekend. My Warbonnet gear didn't arrive until yesterday so I was ground dwelling for what I hope is the last time. anyway, Funny story about the weekend.

I was with a friend and of course I am raving about the benefits of a hammock. I happened to have my Grand Trunk lounger with me and was playing with getting a ridgeline on it, setting up a cheap blue tarp over it just to play with the figure 9's I picked up. Essentially, I was just doing it to learn.

My friend asked me if I was sleeping in it and I said no. I did not have a pad, there was no bugnet (and the mosquitos were out in full force) and in the foothills it can get a little chilly at night. So, No, I'm waiting on my Blackbird, wooki and Superfly. So he asks me if he can sleep in it....... He has an inflatable pad......

So, I explain CBS again to him and he still wants to do it anyway so sure, go ahead..... Long story short, he froze his rear end and didn't last the night.

So, he tells me in the morning about it and I said "Yup, just like I told you" and he said, "Ya, I know but I kind of didn't really believe you......."

Now I've been thinking about that for the last few days. Why would he not believe me? I've never misled him on anything before. I had even showed him my copy of The Ultimate Hang so it wasn't just me he wasn't trusting..... I think some people just have to learn things for themselves, even if it is painful. Others, myself included, can read and determine reliable sources from chafe and then trust the information. On my first night in the hammock, I'm taking all your collective advise with me so I have the very best chance to have an enjoyable night.

I have also been insufferable in my monologs to my wife about the wonders of hammock camping and the exciting adventures it will help us create and in doing so, she has been watching videos with me. At one point, she says to me, why are you taking for gospel what just one guy is saying (at this point I realized every video I was putting on was one of Shug's. Big shout out to an very entertaining and most importantly, informative guy!!)

So, I had to explain to her that I'm not taking his word for anything lightly. An entire community has already vetted him, a community with a collective knowledge greater than any individual. She wasn't aware of the reading I had done here.

Some people are going to buy into the idea of a hammock on impulse and fail from lack of knowledge, and we will never hear from them, Others are going to find their way here regardless of if they happened to be initially exposed through commercial advertising.
    Exactly. Shug's there for the passion of the hobby and it shows through in his videos, very genuine, very honest. You can tell when someone's trying to sell you something. Plus he's not just showing you the gear, he's out there using it and showing it on the trail. And he gets out a lot which shows a real level of commitment to same said passion. So it's easy to trust some one who's got that level of experience, you have to zero in on a proven guru at some point in the beginning anyway.

However bottom line, I believe as you were pointing out through your experience and final paragraph, seekers of knowledge don't need to be prompted or overly marketed to. If you're caught up in that same passion (or fire) it will stick and you'll be here eventually. I'm definitely from the school of think for yourself, question authority (don't necessarily have to rebel, just question). It's all a natural process. As you said the complexity of the hobby will really appeal to that same type of independent thinker that tends to be drawn to hammock forums and the hammock "lifestyle." It's a pursuit of constantly learning new means and methods. Generally not for the tastes of the IGG generations or the weekend warrior.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I agree. I miss when hanging was more of a "secret club" so to speak. A new idea. There were about 17,500 members when I joined over 5 years ago. Now it's up to 55,109. Of course I would be a jerk for being selfish and excluding people...can't do that. But I think you get the idea. I liked being "different". Now when I see a tent, they are a big exception...everyone has a hammock strung up. I don't remember the last time I saw an all-tent camp. At the very least someone has a hammock strung up for day lounging.
    lol Yea I think I'm officially getting to the age where everything is seeming to be nostalgic. Ah the early days of the pioneers of hammock forums, the fun, the drama. Walking the Superior Hiking Trail without seeing a soul for two weeks. Oh the glory of trying to hot glue together a piece of foam and a car sun screen to prevent CBS. :P

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Walking the Superior Hiking Trail without seeing a soul for two weeks.
    That would be amazing!! I need to convince my wife to let me out for that long, since it won't be possible soon (or now, but she doesn't need to know that ).

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    It is a double-edged sword, though. I'm relatively new to hammock camping, myself; however, I made sure that I would have sufficient gear for the task- before I ever camped in one. And the reason I was able to start off on the right foot was because of information available to me in this forum. While it's a nice to feel set apart or different from the masses, we most definitely would not have same access to the plethora of fantastic vendors and gear at the prices we currently do- if it wasn't for the increased awareness in hammock camping. An increase in demand leads to an increase in competition- which leads to more innovative products available.

Now, the increase in popularity also leads to an increase in terrible products too- as we've seen from all of the Chinese hammocks available on Amazon. However, there is a market for both cottage vendors and on-the-shelf/Amazon products, and many people who start with ENO, Grand Trunk, etc... end up purchasing from the cottage vendors at a later time.
    Last edited by rweb82; 07-18-2017 at 15:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast