Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Right? Let's just keep this to ourselves. The person wanting to seriously hammock camp will come to us naturally. Most likely after an unsatisfactory first weekend in any of the above options.
    Unless the weekend is so bad they give up.

Hammock
    , , , , , chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    A few things need to be taken into consideration when seeing articles like this. ie....what are these numbers based on? sales? and where are these hammocks available to purchase? I'm new to this forum so I have a slightly different view. When the majority of consumers purchase something nowadays, they go to Amazon and look for reviews to help them make the choice, there's nothing wrong with that, they don't know any better, and to be truthful, the only decent hammocks I've seen on Amazon are Hennessey, besides, that..ENO is plentiful, most of the manufacturers listed in the forum are non existent on amazon, so that will have a huge impact on sales.

I don't remember exactly how I found this forum, I think it was a mix of youtube vids and luck.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad32825 View Post
    A few things need to be taken into consideration when seeing articles like this. ie....what are these numbers based on? sales? and where are these hammocks available to purchase? I'm new to this forum so I have a slightly different view. When the majority of consumers purchase something nowadays, they go to Amazon and look for reviews to help them make the choice, there's nothing wrong with that, they don't know any better, and to be truthful, the only decent hammocks I've seen on Amazon are Hennessey, besides, that..ENO is plentiful, most of the manufacturers listed in the forum are non existent on amazon, so that will have a huge impact on sales.

I don't remember exactly how I found this forum, I think it was a mix of youtube vids and luck.
    Google. Google is the answer to everything

But I am addicted to Amazon, where you'll find just about everything. Just watch out for the $24 hammocks with 9,482 reviews, all 5 stars...every review ending with "I received this product in exchange for my unbiased review..." or something along those lines. Junk! Thankfully Amazon put an end to that recently.

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure a few staff members get together and throw this stuff together. I know there's at least one person from their accounting department in the room.

Hammock
    , , , , , chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    But I am addicted to Amazon, where you'll find just about everything. Just watch out for the $24 hammocks with 9,482 reviews, all 5 stars...every review ending with "I received this product in exchange for my unbiased review..." or something along those lines. Junk! Thankfully Amazon put an end to that recently.
    That's good to know that ended bc those "unbiased" reviews were out of control...and also, I never got anything for free! lol

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad32825 View Post
    That's good to know that ended bc those "unbiased" reviews were out of control...and also, I never got anything for free! lol
    I got a pair of $25 water shoes for $11 or something like that. I wrote an honest review, I think 3-4 stars. They contacted me and tried to get me to change it to 5.

Here's more on the change at Amazon. I'm allowed to derail my own thread : https://www.amazon.com/p/feature/abpto3jt7fhb5oc

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    Hammocks aren't the only thing. I work at a certain outdoor co-op and I try to get folks to wear a few back or try out a sleeping pad but if it isn't in backpacker mag it is out of the question. Seriously had people get mad that I don't recommend an osprey atmos when they said they haul in 55 plus lbs. On the other hand, 1 out of every 35 customers is wanting the real deal goods so I send them to ULA, Zpacks, Hammock Gear, Dutch, etc and they come back just to thank me. I get all warm inside...
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Backpacker can't seem to wrap their heads around cottage vendors. They would be doing their readers a service to introduce them to companies other than the big box ones. I no longer have a subscription because they simply became irrelevant to me.

These top lists are totally pay to play, I ditched outside and backpacker magazine after seeing the gear they promote as the "best"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I gave up my subscription to that rag a few years ago. There's only so many reviews for $80 performance t-shirts I could stomach. It's all about the advertising dollars over there...

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    When I got interested in backpacking, one of the first things I did was subscribe to Backpacker. It was a disappointment, particularly when reading about a hiking area near here, and realizing how bereft the article was. I cancelled my subscription at that point.

These days, it doesn't take long to figure out solid resources about any topic. The web upended and outdated monthly rags, especially traditionals beholden to advertisers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast