Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find..

Where to find..

Or any suggestions on finding difference in the fabrics? Or even preferences?
    Went to the Ministers Creek hang this past weekend and using all homemade stuff. Made a hammock out of a single layer of JoAnn fabrics ripstop nylon (hammock 11')and was proud of it till saw everyone elses...that's why I wanted to set up away from others but them suckers set the fire pit literally withing 50'. Weight wise I'm 135 (if clothed and soaking wet) and just under 5'7". Want to do a double layer hammock and if feel like can handle it an integrated bug net.
    Anywhere to start? Trying to search but all this 1.1/1.6/etc. is confusing? Know there are considerations as to weight, etc.
    When you are in a difficult situation and wonder where help is; remember a teacher is always quiet during the test.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    It was nice meeting you this weekend. I would say shoot Dutch a message. He should be able to explain all the ins and outs of the different types of fabric.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Thanks on both.
    P.S. Catch any fish?
    When you are in a difficult situation and wonder where help is; remember a teacher is always quiet during the test.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    He caught a rock
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Hey IroquoisArcher, shoot us a message regarding your specific needs and we'll try to guide you on what works best. We also provide samples once you narrow down a couple options. Carter or Justin would better be able to give you details than myself. They are some DIY experts around here. There's a support button at the bottom of our page that will get you in contact with both

www.ripstopbytheroll.com

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    DIY CDT
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    I'd like to note that unless you're using a pad, there's really not much need for a double layer hammock at that weight, in my opinion. Like you, I'm not particularly heavy either at 150, and I've found even the lighter fabrics are more than strong enough for me in a single layer.

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.6 Tawny Olive
    Images
    But with double layers, you get two colors. .. Both DutchWare and RSBTR are helpful. I have ordered a slew of samples to compare. With your size, you could use almost anything so the important factors will be feel and ease of sewsewing. I like Jellyfish's videos for sewing. This forum has been super helpful as well.

My brilliant thinking ( ) was that I am a VERY cold sleeper and that a double layer would give some mor4e protection against wind making the outside layer colder hense me colder if single layer. I do plan on doing this myself but didn't pick enough brains at the hang. Planning on also doing another tarp as guys saw mine and don't know how they kept from laughing till out of hearing range. The JoAnne ripstop while strong enough (even though I originally had my doubts) seemed plenty strong but on the "harder" side, not softer like most of the other ones were so know this was a choice in fabric. Sewing wise...well let's say it has improved since doing some but like most others (Jacksparrow excluded) it leaves something to be desired but I can live with that. I do like making my own stuff (do game cameras) and also like keeping on the cheap side...who doesn't...but figure best go better.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IroquoisArcher View Post
    My brilliant thinking ( ) was that I am a VERY cold sleeper and that a double layer would give some mor4e protection against wind making the outside layer colder hense me colder if single layer. I do plan on doing this myself but didn't pick enough brains at the hang. Planning on also doing another tarp as guys saw mine and don't know how they kept from laughing till out of hearing range. The JoAnne ripstop while strong enough (even though I originally had my doubts) seemed plenty strong but on the "harder" side, not softer like most of the other ones were so know this was a choice in fabric. Sewing wise...well let's say it has improved since doing some but like most others (Jacksparrow excluded) it leaves something to be desired but I can live with that. I do like making my own stuff (do game cameras) and also like keeping on the cheap side...who doesn't...but figure best go better.
    Thanks.
    I think you're being far too hard on yourself. Everyone starts somewhere, and no matter how much experience you have someone will inevitably come along and make you feel like a novice all over again (*cough* jellyfish *cough*). The joy of DIY comes from knowing your gear was made by your own hands--flaws and all! It's always a work in progress. Besides, I took a quick look at your setup Saturday afternoon, and I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed by.

I don't know that you'll see a noticeable difference in wind protection from a double-layer hammock. For that you may want to consider an under-quilt protector or even just pitching your tarp at a steeper angle. The primary appeal of a double-layer for me (beyond mere aesthetic concerns) is the increased weight capacity, which it doesn't sound like you'll need. I've also heard it said that mosquitoes will have a more difficult time biting through two layers of fabric as opposed to one.

Every hammock I've made thus far has used Dutch's Hexon fabric, which I can attest to being very strong and soft. I've also heard great things about RSBTR's hybrid Robic material. You really can't go wrong with either vendor.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I also find the double layer is good at keeping skeeters from getting you through the fabric and yes they can get you through a single layer.
    I second what Jcksparow said, your being hard on yourself. There was absolutely nothing wrong with your gear. You have more skill than I do. My hammock is beautiful but it was also made by a professional, not me! I'm going to try to get some lessons from my Mom and maybe take a shot at making a tarp or something.
    Keep on keeping on!

ps- I didn't keep the rock as it was just a little under regulation.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast