WalMart EQIP mosquito hammock mod

Actually, a mod for any hammock with the stuff sack sewn to the hem in the middle.

Decided I should detach the stuff sack and waterproof it, (obviously it's no dry bag, but shedding a little water if I'm carrying it on the bike rack when a light shower hits, or just splashing through puddles is a good thing) also taking the opportunity to remove the giant instruction tag (that basically amounts to "hook it to two trees") attached there too. Since the stitching is separate from both the hammock's hem and the sack's drawstring channel, nothing had to be patched up after that part. Waterproofing went well with the "DIY silnylon" process.

Then I got to looking at it, and thought something like snakeskins would be a big improvement, but why spend the extra money on a $40 hammock? Why not mod the bag to stuff from an end instead of the middle, so it's less hassle to pack up without dragging the hammock on the (potentially wet) ground?

What I ended up doing was unstitching a corner of the bag just enough to run the end cords up against it and clip that end's carabiner on the outside of the bag. Now, fully packed, that carabiner hangs off the corner and the other is just inside the top, under the (added, Hennessy) tree straps. Setup and takedown is simplified a lot since you're not trying to work to/from the middle, but to/from an end, where it's already supported. Pull out the tree straps and set them up, then clip on the carabiner that hangs outside the bag, and pull over to the other strap. For takedown, unhook the end the bag is on, and stuff as you walk to the other end.

Only drawback so far is that I had been using the stuff sack as a convenient spot to drop my knife, flashlight etc. right before zipping up the net. May add back a loop so I can hang one of the other assorted bags in my gear there, or add a ridgeline and bag inside for that stuff.

Sounds like you made what amounts to a pseudo black bishop bag. It's a handy design and no doubt an improvement over the sewn to the hammock bag.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Sounds like you made what amounts to a pseudo black bishop bag. It's a handy design and no doubt an improvement over the sewn to the hammock bag.
    Had a feeling someone was bound to have had the same idea at some point. For a nicer hammock, I'd go with SnakeSkins, but for this $40 beater, this and a set of Hennessy tree straps are about all the money and effort I'm willing to add on stuff that won't transfer to another rig later.

Images
    I detached the side pocket on a couple of cheapies I got for presents and used them as combined stuffsack/RLO.
    You can see what I mean if you skip thru to 2:20s,

EDIT
    Soz, won't work for a integrated bugnet.
    --
    Gadget

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Well, I added the snakeskins to mine, left the original bag as is and picked up a dry bag for mine and it works great.

As to adding a ridgeline, I did add one to mine and made a video to share the mod. It works great and gives me total control over my sag for comfortable sleeping. Here is a link to the video.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Bobamos, I really appreciate that video. I need to do that to mine.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    Bobamos, I really appreciate that video. I need to do that to mine.
    Happy to help. It really is an easy mod. (Has to be easy because I wouldn't be doing it.)

Hammock
    SB Pro, Lawson, Everest Double
    Images
    Great bug net mod ! I've already got the grommets and I'm sure my wife has some strapping around. I'm also going to use the strapping to add the netting poles loops as my Everest Duo Hammock netting is pretty floppy as it is.

• + New Posts