DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Has your weight changed during any of this? I wear support footbeds in everything because I was born with nearly flat feet and the arch in my right foot collapsed fully now, but it's not painful.

However all the knee, ankle, back, and plantar fasciitis pain I had starts to happen when my weight reaches a certain point (about 235 lbs) and it all "magically" goes away when I drop below 215 again, with or without insoles and with or without stretching. More than any stretching (which does help) or other exercises, or changing back and forth from heavy leather boots to light hikers to runners, dropping pounds remains the main variable in my lower-body quality of life. I notice among friends that when the foot pain starts everyone starts some program to work through it. Sometimes consciously and sometimes unconsciously, they become more active. Then 6 months later thay say this or that thing "fixed" their pain. Maybe it's stretching, maybe orthotics, maybe physical therapy, maybe new shoes, or even in one case some mystical crystal BS. But everyone has "the thing" that worked. But the common thread is that every one of them also lost weight while doing whatever it was that they claim worked, even if that wasn't the primary goal.

Just wonder if you've noticed anything similar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I think more people will have more luck with orthotics because as you age your arches begin to fall which flattens out the foot and pulls the tendon away from the heel.The heel spur occurs because the bone is trying to grow toward the tendon but it cannot reattach.The orthotic device puts the foot back toward its original shape.At least that is what I was told "back in the day" aka,20th century,so it's old information.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I have to wear shoes at work (hospital), but first thing I do when I get home is get my shoes off and go barefoot. I try and walk barefoot everywhere I can as long as it is acceptable. I've never tried backpacking barefoot, but I sure might try it. Done a little bit of light hiking barefoot and really enjoyed it.

This is awesome, my dad has plantar fasciitis I'm going to show him this.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I think more people will have more luck with orthotics because as you age your arches begin to fall which flattens out the foot and pulls the tendon away from the heel.The heel spur occurs because the bone is trying to grow toward the tendon but it cannot reattach.The orthotic device puts the foot back toward its original shape.At least that is what I was told "back in the day" aka,20th century,so it's old information.
    Chicken or the egg.

Most people's feet flatten because they continue to wear poorly fitting shoes and don't go barefoot enough. They rely on their shoes to support the arch of their foot which weakens the muscles supporting the arch in the first place.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.0 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HGtop/underquilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoefor2 View Post
    I have PF in both feet and done the stretches and saw little improvement. The main reason for having PF is that the tendons in the bottom of the arch area are not stretching and going straight from the ball of the foot back over the heal. Do what all have talked about is important but while standing and walking all day it is important to continue stretch those tendons. I went to using Superfeet in all my shoes which allows me to wear boots and hike many miles.
    I've been doing a LOT of stretches and practice foot strengthening exercises all throughout the day. I bought and tried several of the superfeet insoles but they mostly made it worse in my case. I know they help a lot of people get relief though! I'm learning that PF is a very individualized injury and that there's no one "magic bullet" for everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    That's great that you are able to hike barefoot. I wish I could do anything bare foot. Unfortunately I have nerve damage in one foot and not wearing a sock is not an option for me. My foot is super sensitive. Stepping on a cool tile feels like dry ice to me. I need to find new boots as my current boots are beaten up and they really don't feel good anyway. Hopefully I can find something that eases the pain.
    Beaten up old shoes rarely do the feet much good. I hope you can find something that helps you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Has your weight changed during any of this? I wear support footbeds in everything because I was born with nearly flat feet and the arch in my right foot collapsed fully now, but it's not painful.

However all the knee, ankle, back, and plantar fasciitis pain I had starts to happen when my weight reaches a certain point (about 235 lbs) and it all "magically" goes away when I drop below 215 again, with or without insoles and with or without stretching. More than any stretching (which does help) or other exercises, or changing back and forth from heavy leather boots to light hikers to runners, dropping pounds remains the main variable in my lower-body quality of life. I notice among friends that when the foot pain starts everyone starts some program to work through it. Sometimes consciously and sometimes unconsciously, they become more active. Then 6 months later thay say this or that thing "fixed" their pain. Maybe it's stretching, maybe orthotics, maybe physical therapy, maybe new shoes, or even in one case some mystical crystal BS. But everyone has "the thing" that worked. But the common thread is that every one of them also lost weight while doing whatever it was that they claim worked, even if that wasn't the primary goal.

Just wonder if you've noticed anything similar.
    My weight has really only fluctuated up and down ~5lbs for the past year so I can't really point to that for my particular case. I'm sure that it was definitely part of the cause though. Now that my feet aren't hurting as much and it's easier to get hiking again, I do plan to lower my weight a bit more. I know losing a bit more is only going to do good for the rest of my body, and especially on my joints, health, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    I have to wear shoes at work (hospital), but first thing I do when I get home is get my shoes off and go barefoot. I try and walk barefoot everywhere I can as long as it is acceptable. I've never tried backpacking barefoot, but I sure might try it. Done a little bit of light hiking barefoot and really enjoyed it.
    Before the past few months I lived in shoes. I would be in them all day at work, then stay in them all night at the house only coming out of them to sleep. I've definitely turned a full 180 on that now and also go barefoot as much as I can. I think my feet are pretty far from doing a full backpacking trip but it would be cool to see if I could work up to it I'm really glad I did try hiking barefoot though. The different textures on the trail was a pretty cool new experience to my feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by bloop View Post
    This is awesome, my dad has plantar fasciitis I'm going to show him this.
    It took me a LOT of foot exercises and stretches to realize that making my foot stronger was helping more than most conventional methods. PF seems to be a very individualized injury and there's a whole lot of different ways to treat it. I hope your dad can find what works for him, whether barefoot or not! Let me know how it turns out for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Chicken or the egg.

Most people's feet flatten because they continue to wear poorly fitting shoes and don't go barefoot enough. They rely on their shoes to support the arch of their foot which weakens the muscles supporting the arch in the first place.
    I think it really comes down to individualized cases. I'm sure there are some real instances where orthotics make sense, or are at least a practical option. I know in my case it was the result of me letting my feet get weak. I tried various superfeet insoles and stiffer shoes with more cushion like most podiatry articles recommended and they just made it worse for me. Strengthening my foot naturally just happens to be one of the best ways of getting relief for me. I think strengthening one's feet by being barefoot and doing foot exercises would be beneficial to just about everyone. I think a lot of the foot issues people have today are caused by our shoes and I think a lot of orthotics aren't as helpful as people become dependent on them and it makes their feet even weaker. If naturally strengthening the foot doesn't work or exacerbates the problem, then I can see where custom orthotics and more aggressive forms of treatment make sense.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    You crazy!! :-)

I had PF for 12 years, since I was in my early 20s. TWELVE **** YEARS.

In the last year it's been way, way improved since going to a therapist with a different approach (dump the orthotics, do these 3 exercises every day, etc).

If I can make a suggestion: since barefoot works for you, I'd suggest going with a zero drop shoe with a lot of flex. That way your heel-toe stay level and things feel better. Altra Lone Peak is popular (but pretty padded).

The other thing I do is wake up, stretch my feet up/down/slant left/slant right, then stretch by pointing big toe down and other toes up (then switch), then do a 20' walk on toes, 20' walk on heels. I did those exercises and was instantly able to dump the orthotics for the first time in over a decade, and I haven't put them on since.

Those changes have literally meant that instead of being limited to about 3 miles a day, I can tackle 10 no problem. The recovery has been insane. Maybe some of this can help you too.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    This is awesome. I've never tried the five fingers but I'm starting to get into sandals for more active wear. I have a pair of Xero Shoes that I've been running in for the last month and I love it. I have a pair of Bedrock Cairn Pros coming tomorrow and I intend to try those out as hiking footwear. I would definitely recommend checking out either of these companies. I think these kinds of sandals would give you the same benefits as being barefoot but with a little protection.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Hardcore. I stepped on a little stick or something in the lake over the weekend after being barefoot for a couple minutes. It's still hurting. May need to dig something out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Good for you noticing what was working and fallowing that. Barefoot is natural. Its our original way of walking and we have the genes to support that. Not saying that it is the answer for everyone but good on you for doing what works. Your feet will toughen up and your sore muscles will be ok as long as you don't over do it to begin with.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast