Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings

Cool "Best" Under Quilt - EE, HG, Other?

I need advice on an under quilt for my new Chameleon hammock. I have an EE top quilt and it's awesome so I'm now looking at their UQ's. But I've read great things about the Hammock Gear UQs. I'll be getting down-filled, probably full length, and am a 6' 220lb active side sleeper (not sure that matters other than for width). I'm new to hanging and am section hiking the AT so lightweight, good coverage/down stability, and ease of setup/adjustment after a long day of hiking are all considerations. Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There is really no best UQ but there are a lot of excellent cottage vendors that make a very high quality UQ's.
    There's LocoLibre, Hammock Gear, UnderGroundQuilts, EE, and many others. Stick with the ones that get great reviews here and you can't go wrong. Also for a period of time HG and LocoLibre are making some quilts out of a bit heavier material and the prices are outstanding.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Loco Libre Gear FTW
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Really hard to identify a "best". The whole cottage industry is great.

I will say that I have yet to find a product with better reviews than the UGQ Zeppelin. HammockGear can be argued to be just as good, and their Econ series is hands down the best value on the market. Loco Libre is right with them too. I could go on.

I love Enlightened Equipment, and their underquilts are LIGHT, but I will say that I've heard some slightly negative things about the underquilts, the way the down doesn't always sit properly all night, that the suspension tweaking system is maybe not quite as nice as other companies.
    Last edited by QFT; 07-11-2017 at 18:36.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm very happy with HG - I have 40*, 20* and 0* quilt sets from them. With each purchase, I called Adam and had questions, which he always graciously answered.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    I know that a lot of guys on here have HG. I have one as well as a JRB. They both work well. It all depends on what you are looking for...

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have 4 LocoLibre and 2 HG quilts and like both companies but those LocoLibre quilts are so nice to look at with the V baffling.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    That's easy, same as the best backpack, and best hammock. Same answer anyway.

The real answer is that any of the cottage makes mentioned are very very good. Much better per $$ than you would see in a store if you could go buy a legit UQ in a store. The best one is the one that suits you the best. Unfortunately, that's something derived from trial and error. Fortunately, there are no bad makes to trip you up along the way. No bad cottage makes that is. I've not seen a legit UQ in a store yet. ENO sells one that is close, but expensive for what it is (of course).

FWIW, I have an Incubator that I love. If I were buying another today, I'd go for that Carolina Reaper from LocoLibre. Note that I also have a Jarbridge which is a dang fine quilt for the money.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings
    Great feedback, thanks! I clearly have options and some more homework to do. "Best" is subjective and an individual call, but besides weight, lenth, width, outer material, fill, customization options -- what else should i use to choose? How do the suspension systems differ?

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    Great feedback, thanks! I clearly have options and some more homework to do. "Best" is subjective and an individual call, but besides weight, lenth, width, outer material, fill, customization options -- what else should i use to choose? How do the suspension systems differ?
    Top quilts are all made somewhat similar as are under quilts but one under quilt that is getting a lot of press lately is the new Warbonnet Wooki that eliminates a lot of the issues many under quilts present which is keeping them in place. Otherwise most of them have primary and secondary suspension systems that all work very similar.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast