Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    @ 6' you probably could get by with a shorter UQ. As a side sleeper do you bend your knees any? That will also shorten your requirement. Also an UQ is designed to cover your shoulder (not head) to your feet.

As a full time side sleeper myself I do not like the leg shelf designed UQ. A straight rectangle or slightly tapered works best for me. Good luck

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    For what it's worth I really like my xshort EE Revolt. I'm 6' and side sleeper. It packs down very small and is lightweight

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    For what it's worth I really like my xshort EE Revolt. I'm 6' and side sleeper. It packs down very small and is lightweight
    Any issues with legs/feet getting cold? Or does your TQ take do a good job? I have the EE Revelation TQ that has always kept my lower legs/feet toasty warm, but have never used it in a hammock during colder WX. Reading what OutandBack and others have said I'm thinking it + small foam pad + a shorter UQ might work well and be a lighter carry.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    @ 6' you probably could get by with a shorter UQ. As a side sleeper do you bend your knees any? That will also shorten your requirement. Also an UQ is designed to cover your shoulder (not head) to your feet.

As a full time side sleeper myself I do not like the leg shelf designed UQ. A straight rectangle or slightly tapered works best for me. Good luck
    I bend my knees a little and was thinking with a small pad + my good TQ I could go shorter/lighter -- I carry a small UL sit pad anyway so it could do double duty. Also my Mouse Works Rolled Beanie is great in cold WX and has a built-in eye shade (i.e. roll down the extra band of fleece) so stopping at the shoulder works.

Thanks for the tip on side sleeping and the leg shelf design. HG's Incubator has a "contour which mimics the shape a person makes when they are laying in a hammock." Great idea but I was wondering if that works better for back sleepers vs side sleepers. I'll have to give them a call and find out. Tks!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings
    Does anyone have experience with the Outdoor Vitals Aerie Down Underquilt / Sleeping Pod? Basically a UQ + TQ all in one.

https://outdoorvitals.com/collection...t-sleeping-bag

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Tying all the quotes together on this page without re-quoting them-
    You answered the UL question on the short UQ... you already carry a small sit pad. Putting that at your heel/ankle is the trick to making the shortie UQ work well for most and is the best combo to save some weight and pack space. IMO if you're adding the sit pad to make the short UQ work... then the extra quilt length weighs less than the pad... but if you already use the pad in your system anyway then take advantage of it. Put it inside your sleeping bag/TQ's foot box and you're less likely to have it scoot away on you.

As mentioned previously then... a short revolt is a good application for the karo step baffle.
    The WB yeti is another tried and true short design- https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...i-underquilts/

If using a pillow (or another spare scrap of foam in your hat) then running shoulder to knee works pretty well overall above freezing especially for a side sleeper. Depending on temps sometimes you need a little something under your head with the shorter UQ.

I would concur with the leg shelf conflicting with side sleeping a bit. A rectangular shape will let you go to a full fetal position too more easily.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings
    Thanks Bill. When I started backpacking a few years ago I spent a lot of $$ on gear not appropriate/too heavy for long distances before switching to UL (thank you REI return policy!). I'm trying to avoid that mistake with my move into hammocking but don't hike with may hangers so I appreciate the detailed advice. I'm getting close to figuring out what the "best" is, for me and my HYOH style.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Outdoor Vitals Aerie Down Underquilt / Sleeping Pod? Basically a UQ + TQ all in one.

https://outdoorvitals.com/collection...t-sleeping-bag
    It's a great idea others have done but much better.
    The price is very good however no one lays straight or banana style in a hammock if they know what they are doing.
    I worry this dev doesn't really know about hammock camping or the proper way to lay in a hammock for maximum flatness and comfort.

Hammock
    ENO Sub 7
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Helios
    I have a EE Revolt 40 and it is excellent in craftsmanship, etc. So much so that I just ordered a 40 degree Enigma Top Quilt to go with it. I agree that there are a lot of great options, you need to research size, weight, cost, reviews, and make the selection that is best suited for your needs and budget. I am blessed, because the budget doesn't decide what i am going to get.

Dutch061

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    You can't really go wrong with any cottage vendor. I have 2 HG Phoenix UQ, 2 UGQ flight jacket TQ, an Arrowhead UQ for my RR, and I just received a MassDrop TQ made by EE. Everyone of them has top notch construction and are worth every cent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast