Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Just got my first Loco Libre Saver Series Habanero underquilt, and it is outstanding!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings
    I was looking at Locolibre UQs last night, do you by chance know what the differences are between the Carolina Reaper and Habanero?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    I was looking at Locolibre UQs last night, do you by chance know what the differences are between the Carolina Reaper and Habanero?
    Mostly the chevron baffles. Should help eliminate some cold spots from down shifting in the larger, longer Habanero baffles. Some folks like to shift their down, so its not a slam dunk that one is better than the other. I personally don't want to fiddle with shifting down and would prefer the chevron baffles.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Mostly the chevron baffles. Should help eliminate some cold spots from down shifting in the larger, longer Habanero baffles. Some folks like to shift their down, so its not a slam dunk that one is better than the other. I personally don't want to fiddle with shifting down and would prefer the chevron baffles.
    My son has a Carolina Reaper. One thing I don't care for is, it seems, the down doesn't want to get in all those added corners as well. Maybe that doesn't affect the insulating value any, Idk. HYOH, but that's my observation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    My son has a Carolina Reaper. One thing I don't care for is, it seems, the down doesn't want to get in all those added corners as well. Maybe that doesn't affect the insulating value any, Idk. HYOH, but that's my observation.

I think I understand what you're saying as I felt the same about an EE quilt I had. Probably a question for George at LL as there is likely a good explanation or technical point to be made.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I bought an EE revolt and a Hammock Gear Econ Incubator. Can't comment on the UGQ or LL as I haven't seen them in person but clearly they have fans.
    The incubator is a nice quilt with some shaping. About the only ding I would give it is if the shaping works for you on your gear... but since you said full length I think you'd be fine.

I wanted to like the Revolt as I like EE's products generally speaking. As Tim's first generation of UQ's there may yet be some kinks to work out in the pattern... or the fault may be with the karo step baffle not transferring well to an UQ application. Tim was one of the main innovators of that alternate baffle design in general. But it doesn't always work well in a true GE application (sort of).

On the plus side- the settling that occurs can work well for back sleepers in a GE as you aren't really using the sides. But if you do side sleep or curl into a deep fetal position you will find you need to reach under and do some patting and fluffing to force down back up. It's not a bad system per-say and there are some UL considerations and advantages to the karo step- but some limitations too. I think it could make a decent partial length but not an excellent full length so I'd stay away from EE on this one.

SO... as said- hard to go wrong with any other vendor mentioned. As an AT minded hiker I would suggest a down UQ for pack size. Rather than flipping a coin-I'd simply shop the sales and see where the best bang for your buck is.
    There are some killer summer sales and options for economy models now. Since you can't really go wrong might as well just pull the trigger before this down madness ends, lol.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Don't forget to check on Jacksrbetter.com, and wildernesslogics.com

I have bought from many cottage hammock vendors and other boutique shops, and have never been dis-pleased. Just to say that I'm sure whichever you get, you will argue it's awesomeness, and know it's Quaility. There is a list in the vendor section.
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Anyone have any comments on the zeppelin? Is it about the same as the habanero?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by redgun24 View Post
    Anyone have any comments on the zeppelin? Is it about the same as the habanero?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Got one.... Love it!

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex (11')
    Insulation
    EE TQ & GG pad
    Suspension
    HB Whoopie Slings
    You guys are awesome! I've learned a lot in two days... GE = Gathered End, HYOH = Hike Your Own Hike, names of new vendors, and that being a right lay or left lay has nothing to do with... It's fun being the new hanger

So here's how my little UQ trade study is going.

Vendors: Hammock Gear, Loco Libre Gear, Under Ground Quilts, Enlightened Equipment, and Jacks R Better. (All very good ...so now it gets personal)

My wants & needs: Lightweight for multi-day/week backpacking, packs down small, warm to 20-30 degrees (3 season), no fuss suspension/adjustments, sized for a side sleeper who turns, reasonable cost, and some degree of weather resistance.

Things I didn't know I needed to consider:
    - Long baffles vs chevron/karo step (down shifting)
    - Left or Right Lay (I read an entire thread on this, it was nuts)
    - The effect fabric types have on weight and breathability (realized the cool digicam on my EE TQ added 2oz!)
    - Unique cut/contour of an UQ

What I need help with:

1) Two of the UQs are about the same size and weight, but the slightly heavier one (by 0.75oz) has almost 2.9oz more fill (900 goose) and they are both rated for 30 degrees. Is the temperature rating that far off? My simple math says more down = more warmth.

2) LLG Habanero has a Lay Direction customization (yup, that’s how I wound up spending an hour reading about other people’s lays). It makes sense that having the UQ match your lay would prevent cold spots, does anyone have practical experience with this?

3) How long and wide does an UQ really need to be? I’m trying to figure out if I can shave weight by going less than full length.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Hatchet_1697; 07-13-2017 at 22:34.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast