Tarp
    superfly (camo)
    Insulation
    WB WOOKI IN CAMO
    Suspension
    warbonnet buckle

Smile superfly tie outs

hi guys

does anyone have some recommendations for how they set up their tie outs for the superfly, would it be advisable to bungee/shock cord to the d rings to create a bit of suspension? weight is not the concern and also how you would set up your door tie outs to cope with all scenarios ie: open for hot days and closed for cold/rain.

thanks guys

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF!

It's a personal preference whether you shock cord to the d-rings or to your stakes or in between the two. I never used shock cord on the tie-outs for my sil-nylon tarps but I used only shock cord for the doors. When you don't need the doors you can connect the doors to each other so they're out of the way. Dutchware sells the plastic thingamabobs necessary to connect the doors to your tie-outs or to each other.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood

superfly tie outs

I use 2mm shockcord loops and 1.1 reflx guyline from Litesmith. I use the pile hitch to my stakes. I like it better than the Marlin spike hitch because the tag end is oriented toward the tarp rather than the ground.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    When I was researching this subject not too long ago myself, I found this video really useful for different tie-out options:

For my doors, I ended up doing something like this:

I also started a thread back in February, asking if people put their guy lines on their tarp or the stakes, and it got a lot of awesome, informative replies about how people set up: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-tarp-or-stake

I personally ended up going with my guylines directly on the stakes, and I started with hookworms from Dutch tied to the guyline on my stakes, hooking to pieces of shock cord that were on my D-rings. I had a problem getting used to putting the loop directly on the hookworm because, I don't know, my brain has a hard time with stuff like that, and at the time I was camping in cold weather and my fingers were numb trying to get it to work properly... I ended up ordering some of Dutch's fleaz and putting them on the shock cord on my D-rings, which has been a quicker setup for me. Now that it's summer, I'm practicing more with the hookworms : )

For my doors, I have longer pieces of shock cord on them with alternating male-female side-release buckles, like in the video above. On the side tie outs, near the doors, I also have another set of either the male or female end of the buckle. Then on the opposite doors, I have another set of either the male or female end of the buckle. This allows me to tie the doors open, across the length of the tarp, or close them up. I will say that on the side tie outs, near the doors, I attached the buckle with a piece of zing-it, assuming there would be enough stretch on the shock cord to reach them, but sometimes, depending on how I have the tarp staked out, it doesn't reach. So I need to re-attach them with shock-cord to allow for that... and I still think it's tight enough and won't have enough slack when the door is fully closed.

Also want to mention that I used to have line attached to the side pullouts, exactly the way Brandon shows in the video Hung Low posted above. I found it didn't work for me; I hated having to deal with extra line and found that I personally couldn't get the sides as far out as I wanted. I switched to a pole mod on the tarp and it's worth the extra 4oz in weight, IMO. It was a game changer for me.

Hope this helps!

Hammock
    warbonnet xlc 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly (camo)
    Insulation
    WB WOOKI IN CAMO
    Suspension
    warbonnet buckle

superfly tie outs

thanks people for your kind advice

• + New Posts