WBBB XLC SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Straps/marlinspike
    Images
    Well, for sure you don't want to plan on having any straps that run outside to inside. If it rains, you will have water wicking in and dripping on your interior.
    Maybe you could use bungie cords to hold a hammock up against the ceiling when not in use, if it is hung too tightly to pull to the side.
    I had an ENO hung inside of my full size work van and didn't find it useable due to the hanging angles.
    Good luck!

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

What setup would you buy/make for hanging in a van full time?

Run a string from the four potential hang points at the front and rear of the interior frame of the van. Measure it and grab some polyester from walmart or wherever. Figure out how to put an anchor at each spot and then sew up something to match. If not have someone sew it. Sleep in it a few nights and you'll have tons more data on what's going to work. A gathered end should be easy, but you've got the potential for something cooler. Research the the old Hennessy's with the entrance in the bottom of the Hammock. Good luck. Don't forget about insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennington.Camper View Post
    you don't want to plan on having any straps that run outside to inside. If it rains, you will have water wicking in and dripping on your interior.
    I'll second that. That happens!
    I understand it rains in the USA too.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Working on it
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabondette View Post
    cool idea but i'm only planning on doing this for 1-2 years and i doubt they'll even be in production by then. but it did give me some inspiration. I'm currently intrigued by this: https://gladiatorcargonet.com/produc...arp-cargo-net/ and looking at other cargo net options. this might be a perfect solution so thanks for that link!
    Having slept on the "Real Deal" cargo net I can say from experience that is isn't very comfortable with hard pressure points, but a C130 in flight at altitude wasn't the most comfortable sleep platform either. Look at orange construction barrier, the spacing is a lot closer together and should stand up to your weight but I am not sure of the weight rating of it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I think if you want to sleep in the car, you might be better off getting a cheap foam mattress that you can fold up during the day. With your needs (to sleep on your stomach or side) and the space that's available to you, it's difficult to get a suitable hammock set up in a way that it's comfortable and easy to enter and exit. And forget the 90° hammock. That one needs a lot more height. Don't get me wrong: I love hammocks, and I go (or drive) the extra mile just to be able to hang, but there are situations when it's better to go to ground.

If you would consider driving somewhere where you can set up your hammock outside, it would be different. You could either stealth camp or use a camp site (possibly with a stand if there are no trees). Of course a camp site would cost money, but you would have access to a shower, which might be handy.

If you want to try to hang a hammock in your car, get an 11' gathered end hammock and see if you can get it fitted. If it is too long, you can always whip it shorter. Don't forget that you will probably need some insulation under you, unless you live somewhere very warm.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Talk to Gargoyle...he hangs in a Honda Odyssey. And he makes 2 of you.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Talk to Gargoyle...he hangs in a Honda Odyssey. And he makes 2 of you.
    Yup.... What he said

Gargoyle's rig works very well for him
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Having slept on the "Real Deal" cargo net I can say from experience that is isn't very comfortable with hard pressure points, but a C130 in flight at altitude wasn't the most comfortable sleep platform either. Look at orange construction barrier, the spacing is a lot closer together and should stand up to your weight but I am not sure of the weight rating of it.
    I'm assuming by 'real deal' you mean one with the giant gaping holes. i looked at that but yeah, doesn't look very comfey. that's why i liked the one i linked. it's actually solid mesh with no gaps between the weave. kind of like trampoline material, but not stretchy. if it's the kind of material i think it is, it's a little scratchy, but i could easily attach a blanket to the grommets to protect from that. I will look at construction barrier, but a quick search is only showing plastic and with the holes i think it would be less comfortable than a solid solution.

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I think if you want to sleep in the car, you might be better off getting a cheap foam mattress that you can fold up during the day. With your needs (to sleep on your stomach or side) and the space that's available to you, it's difficult to get a suitable hammock set up in a way that it's comfortable and easy to enter and exit. And forget the 90° hammock. That one needs a lot more height. Don't get me wrong: I love hammocks, and I go (or drive) the extra mile just to be able to hang, but there are situations when it's better to go to ground.

If you would consider driving somewhere where you can set up your hammock outside, it would be different. You could either stealth camp or use a camp site (possibly with a stand if there are no trees). Of course a camp site would cost money, but you would have access to a shower, which might be handy.

If you want to try to hang a hammock in your car, get an 11' gathered end hammock and see if you can get it fitted. If it is too long, you can always whip it shorter. Don't forget that you will probably need some insulation under you, unless you live somewhere very warm.
    Yeah, I may end up going with a bed solution, and that'll be fine if I have to. But I have some ideas to try before going that route so it'll be interesting if I can make something happen. It would be really nice to not have to give up 2/3 of my floor space to a bed but instead be able to have a comfey chair and a little living room feel.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast