Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the shout out!
    Good luck on the feet issue....... The one time I slept in my down booties in my BB my feet got cold. Weird. I think since I also had two pair of socks my feet got sweaty thus cold. I do however have good luck slipping the down sleeves over them. My last cold ...-2º night I just had two good loose pair of socks .. one pair possum down and then Expedition Smartwools over that and was good to go. That was in my DIY hammock.
    I enjoyed seeing your world and those bed-head eyebrows ... impressive!
    Great report and video.
    Sector 7 secure,
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Thanks for the video (and the giggles )!!

Wow, I wanna come play in your backyard! I miss Maine terribly....

Thanks for showing how you rig up your ridgeline- that was great to see as well. I gotta give a separate RL a try again. Especially with my larger tarp, I'm thinking it might be nice to keep things taut.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Good luck on the feet issue....... The one time I slept in my down booties in my BB my feet got cold. Weird. I do however have good luck slipping the down sleeves over them. My last cold ...-2º night I just had two good loose pair of socks .. one pair possum down and then Expedition Smartwools over that and was good to go. That was in my DIY hammock.
    I enjoyed seeing your world and those bed-head eyebrows ... impressive!
    Great report and video.
    Sector 7 secure,
    Shug
    You're right about the combination -I started out with the Smartwool and a pair of Wool-Poly blend socks over them. The down slippers in place of the Wool-Poly socks worked a lot better.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Thanks for the video (and the giggles )!!

Wow, I wanna come play in your backyard! I miss Maine terribly....

Thanks for showing how you rig up your ridgeline- that was great to see as well. I gotta give a separate RL a try again. Especially with my larger tarp, I'm thinking it might be nice to keep things taut.
    Check my comment up-thread about the ridgeline. It's Opie's creation and it's stayin' in m' pack perm'nent-like.

As far as Maine goes, I was born in and lived in California up until last April. I've wanted to be in Maine (New England in general) since childhood. I drew pictures of these landscapes when I was 6 or 7.

I'm here now, that's all that matters.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    nice video. good explanation of the rigdeline and nice shots of the river going by. I understand how you feel, i have something very similar here at my place and feel fortunate. Glad to hear your finally where you've always dreamed of.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Rilmoigan,

Nice video... great first effort... glad that you were warm.

As to the UQ couple points to consider. First it apprears that it is suspended a bit low, Did you employ both the primary gith hich and secondary overhand hitch?

Second is that the bottom of the WBBB is a regular rectangle hammock, the "foot box" is material over the foot area that replaces the trimmed bugnet of a HH style fixed net, thus allowing for the asym lay position... Warbonnet once postulated that the bottom lay was much like an ENO... The point is that UQs fit much as they do any hammock... In hammocks without tieouts like HH and Switchbacks keeping the shoulder and feet covered is a matter of settling in then shifting to the slight asym position...hammocks with tie out are more readily adapted to UQ because the left shoulder and right foot/knee position can be secured...

Now for you add any others (BB,ENO, Speer etc owner) pondering this issue...There is a simple no sew solution...Put a grip clip to align with UQ tie outs along the upper edge of the hammock and secure the UQ to it...Alignment is thus fixed...settle as you will, shift all you like after that.

There is another issue about cold feet...When feet pop over quilt alignment more often than not it is because the foot end of the hammock is too low and one slid in their sleep to the footend.... this is discussed in many other threads, normally it is a comfort and reshift item..... BUT at -5*... it hammers home another two other points...one, you slide beyond your UQ coverage, not over the side...The second equally important point is that the bottom of ones top bag /quilt becomes compressed on the bottom funnel of hammock material and then the cold actually is comming from the top as well.

Youngblood used to pose a question/issue well for folk to consider... "When you awake cold, try to figure where it is really coming from".... Cold feet.. if it is toes and soles of the feet, it is most likely TQ/bag issues... If it is the heels then most likely it is UQ/pad issues.

Hope all this helps... Again, glad you had a great hang at -5*... Congrats....Brrrrrrrrr

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    That was good Rilmoigan. Enjoyed it! Mighty cold up there.

stumo

Images
    WOW I MEAN REALLY..... WOW
    can't wait till you solve the cold feet thing. i was in a WBBB (Bearpaw) at the Ruck. that was my first concern.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up Thanks. Pan!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Rilmoigan,

Nice video... great first effort... glad that you were warm.

As to the UQ couple points to consider. First it apprears that it is suspended a bit low, Did you employ both the primary gith hich and secondary overhand hitch?

Actually, I found that little tip just today, in another thread, so that goes into my 'setup' routine.

Youngblood used to pose a question/issue well for folk to consider... "When you awake cold, try to figure where it is really coming from".... Cold feet.. if it is toes and soles of the feet, it is most likely TQ/bag issues... If it is the heels then most likely it is UQ/pad issues.

Good point; I'll follow up with those adjustments on my next outing.

Hope all this helps... Again, glad you had a great hang at -5*... Congrats....Brrrrrrrrr

Pan
    My responses to some of Pan's excellent points are above in this color.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Great Video, tanks mon. Will have to watch it about 50 more times.
    At first I thought for sure you were related to Mike Dixon of Stoneage Bushcraft, he lives in southern London I believe.

Try the hot water bottle trick in your footbox to keep your feet warm, do not put it into the femoral area but instead in the footbox...you'll be surprised about how well it works. Since you can hang in your backyard so readily, you could even prepare the hot water bottle in your kitchen and then just carry it out to the hammock.

Too many people wear too many socks that then make thier boots fit too tightly across the top of thier feet, this restricts the flow of blood and can result in cold feet. The benefits of the hot water bottle thingee are numerous and have been discussed on this forum before, but take it from me...put that bottle in with your feet and make sure you have clean dry socks, not the ones you have been wearing all day. I personally keep a pair of warm-loose fitting socks in my sleeping bag or TQ just for sleeping in.

And I want to say thanks for spending a day with Tinny and his family in the Maine woods, lord knows that boy needs to get out more and camp in the winter. By the video he made about his day off, he really enjoyed himself and got a real good update on Hammock camping from you.

Thanks again,
    Barefoot Child
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast