Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB Single Layer

AT Flip-Flop Gear for a Recent Convert

I'm a recent convert to hammocking and am planning to hike the AT flip-flop with either a Harper's Ferry or a Shenandoah start when I finish my graduate program. I'm buying my hammock gear now so I can test it, do shakedown hikes, and tweak as necessary. I'd love any and all advice you can offer! Here's what I was thinking & my questions:

Cold insulation: 20F UQ + 20F TQ + HG Standard CF tarp w. doors
    Warm Insulation: 40F UQ + 40F TQ + same tarp as above.

Questions:
    ---Should I be bringing a sleeping pad for if I have to go to ground? Are there any areas of the AT where this is necessary? The only areas I've been on have been in the Smokies, so plenty of trees there. I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite & I don't counting grams...too much...
    ---Would bringing a pad make it possible for me to just bring a 30F UQ (and not have to buy two quilts...)? The only hammock camping I've done has been in pretty warm weather where I used a thin pad and no UQ with my sleeping bag, so I don't know how such a thick pad would work in the hammock. If I used the 30F UQ and the pad in the hammock at the same time would you think I'd be uncomfortable/too cold in the winter?
    ---If going to ground with a top quilt, what do you do? Do you have a pad and no liner? If so, is the pad uncomfortable/do you feel like your skin sticks to it? Thoughts on this....?

I'd love any advice you have -- and any gear recommendations you have! I've been thinking that the EE quilts are the best choice for me as far as weight, but they're so expensive. The Warbonnet Yeti seems like a good price and weight, but I'm wary about using a torso-length quilt. Thanks, y'all!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by blester View Post
    I'm a recent convert to hammocking and am planning to hike the AT flip-flop with either a Harper's Ferry or a Shenandoah start when I finish my graduate program. I'm buying my hammock gear now so I can test it, do shakedown hikes, and tweak as necessary. I'd love any and all advice you can offer! Here's what I was thinking & my questions:

Cold insulation: 20F UQ + 20F TQ + HG Standard CF tarp w. doors
    Warm Insulation: 40F UQ + 40F TQ + same tarp as above.

Questions:
    ---Should I be bringing a sleeping pad for if I have to go to ground? Are there any areas of the AT where this is necessary? The only areas I've been on have been in the Smokies, so plenty of trees there. I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite & I don't counting grams...too much...
    ---Would bringing a pad make it possible for me to just bring a 30F UQ (and not have to buy two quilts...)? The only hammock camping I've done has been in pretty warm weather where I used a thin pad and no UQ with my sleeping bag, so I don't know how such a thick pad would work in the hammock. If I used the 30F UQ and the pad in the hammock at the same time would you think I'd be uncomfortable/too cold in the winter?
    ---If going to ground with a top quilt, what do you do? Do you have a pad and no liner? If so, is the pad uncomfortable/do you feel like your skin sticks to it? Thoughts on this....?

I'd love any advice you have -- and any gear recommendations you have! I've been thinking that the EE quilts are the best choice for me as far as weight, but they're so expensive. The Warbonnet Yeti seems like a good price and weight, but I'm wary about using a torso-length quilt. Thanks, y'all!
    There are really only a few areas over the entire AT where you may need to go to ground, one of which being the Whites. However, even there, you can always go down to tree line and find somewhere to set up. I would suggest using quilts, as they are much more comfortable to sleep on in the hammock. If you carry a sit pad, that along with your pack and other gear can be used in those rare occasions where you need to go to ground to pad your underside. I have gone to ground and used just a top quilt with no issues, and quite a few thru-hikers who are still using tents have also gone to top quilts rather than traditional sleeping bags. Hammock Gear and Underground Quilts shouldn't be overlooked for your quilts. And for the summer quilts, I would suggest looking at Loco Libre Gear Operator Series. They are bare bones 50 degree quilts, it's what I use for summertime. I think you're right on with the 20 degree, you can always vent them if you get too hot, but having the 20's when it's cooler will be nice.

Now the Smokies will be different, as you'll likely have to stay in the shelters. You can avoid this here as well, by hiking late into the day and arriving at a shelter after it's full. Once it's full with permitted hikers and thru-hikers who stopped earlier than you, you are permitted to make camp in the shelter area.

I have a lot of videos that may help you with your quest. Also, if you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to me.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would go with the 20° quilt set only. I did a couple of hikes on and near the AT in Pennsylvania, New York, New Hampshire and Maine from June to September during a very hot summer, and at the higher elevations I was more often too cold than too warm. It's easy to vent, but difficult to add insulation when you have none. If you sleep warm, you could get a 40° top quilt and exchange the 20° top quilt once it gets warmer. But I would stick with the 20° underquilt.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm a big Warbonnet proponent, and suggest a good long look at the Wookie before buying a Yeti. For my nickel partial length under quilts are more trouble than they're worth. There's a 9 oz +/- penalty for the comfort and convenience, but well worth it IMHO.
    Add life to your years!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    EE Enigma TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You might also want to post this question over on Whiteblaze.net as there may be a higher number of AT thru hikers (or at least thru hike attemptees) that can provide insights on hanging on a thru hike.... or at least read some of the older threads if you haven't already.

If you can only afford one set of quilts, then go with the 20 degree quilts but I would recommend having flexibility in your insulation choices for different sections. You will need the warmer quilts possibly in the Whites but definitely the Smokies in the late season. The Smokies are problematic (as mentioned above) as it may necessary for you to sleep in the shelters so you may need to consider some form of sleeping pad at least for this section or in other cases where you need to go to the ground or sleep in shelters due to the weather. You can have a pad mailed to you before you enter certain sections where you may need to have it. If you choose an inflatable pad then it will be easier to have family or a friend mail it or you may want to consider using a bounce box for this purpose.

BTW, I attempted a flip-flop starting from Harpers Ferry starting in April of 2015 so I understand the decision making process that you are going through. (FWIW, I decided to go to the ground for my thru hike attempt but definitely understand the advantages of hanging.)

Good luck.
    Last edited by SteelCut; 07-10-2017 at 07:26.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think taking a light inflatable pad is not a bad idea, lighter the better as you probably won't use it. If you go to ground, put the UQ underneath the pad and you should get some insulation - better yet if you use a Klymit pad that specifically is made for this kind of use (with bags, but same concept).

The pad can help with initial CBS when used in the hammock, but its not really a substitute for proper insulation. An insulated pad will be too much weight. You can take a CCF pad if you can carry one rolled up on your pack - they are relatively light and "block" heat loss well. They also will block your heat from being efficiently trapped in your UQ, so you lose some insulative efficiency there with the combo, though overall it may work for you. Not as comfy on the ground though, if needed, but I think those instances will be rare if not non-existent.

I think you would be surprised by how high you can go with the 20 degree quilt set. I've used my zero up to 50 without being overly warm. TQ's get warmer because heat rises, but they are easy to vent. I would go with the 20 set and you might be able to get by with just the pad and no UQ on some nights. At that point, get a syn TQ as at that point, you're wearing less and exposing the quilt to more body moisture. I went from a 10oz EE summer quilt to a 16oz syn quilt (Towns End JAQ) and happy I did.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    The big unanswered (and unasked) question is: how many nights will you be spending in shelters? If you stretch out on a shelter's sleeping platform you'll want a pad. Many prospective hikers predict that they'll spend as few nights as possible in shelters because . . . whatever. But once they get out on the trail the lure of a real roof with a nearby privy and other hikers to socialize with often becomes irresistible, especially when your gear gets wet after days of constant rain. Yes, you can often string up a hammock in some shelters, but hammocks can take up a lot of room indoors and the etiquette is a bit murky. Be considerate: you really don't want to be "that guy".
    Genesis 16:12

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB Single Layer
    These are super helpful, y'all! @Seuss, yes that is something I've considered - and I'm sure that I'll be spending as many nights as possible in shelters once it's cold out! I love the idea os having a pad shipped to me before I get into cold weather, specifically the smokies as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a nobo; I started with 20s (which was good enough with the notable exception of 2 nights) and swapped to a loco Libre 40 uq and a mid Atlantic mountain works 50 tq after the Greyson Highlands

I would not carry 20s the whole way; even now many nights I use the uq and keep the top quilt shoved near my feet - it's just too warm. If you already have 20 degree quilts and don't want to spend extra money, then you'll be fine.

I had a neoair shipped to me in Fontana but only stayed in two shelters. It was nice to have the option, but I realized that when it rains EVERYONE crowds the shelters and I'd end up hammocking anyway.

Feel free to message me with more specific questions if you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by blester View Post

Questions:
    ---Should I be bringing a sleeping pad for if I have to go to ground?Are there any areas of the AT where this is necessary?

The only areas I've been on have been in the Smokies, so plenty of trees there. I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite & I don't counting grams...too much...

I just went AT NOBO in 2017 as well.

The only area on the AT where you may have to have a pad is in the smokies where shelter sleeping is mandatory but sometimes you get lucky and the shelters are full. You may also need in in the Whites near Mount Washington but there are post offices before and after this section so getting one and sending it home is easy.

Pads are just uncomfortable to me so I would leave that at home but it will buy you some extra warmth. Gossamer Gear makes a 1/8" pad for hammocks. That is the thinnest one I have found online but im sure there are others. Your comfort level with a set up will have to be determined by you. I used 20F UQ for cold stuff and was fine but you should shakedown your gear during the cooler months and adjust accordingly. I used a liner and liked it to keep my TQ from smelling like pee.

If you go to ground with a top quilt its just like a sleeping bag. Hammock gear even sells the straps to hold it to the pad similar to the ones that come with EE quilts. If you plan to do this you will need some kind of pad at least torso length.

EE quilts are not the most expensive, see katabatic gear, and are nice quilts made in the US. I used a 20F one during the colder parts of the AT and enjoyed mine. If you want a more budget options hammock gear offers econ top quilts that are cheaper but weigh more. They are also very supportive of AT hikers on the trail if you have any issues. I used a full length underquilt and wouldnt wanna deal with adjusting a 3/4 or similar.

For the temps of quilts I had one set for colder weather 20F TQ and UQ
    warmer months 40UQ and 50F TQ , similar to what was said above 20F is overkill for most of the trail.

I think I responded to all your questions but if not let me know!
    Last edited by Two Speed; 10-09-2017 at 19:39.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast