Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ
    Suspension
    AHE Straps/Slings

Olympic Mountains weather at elevation

Hello, I'm be doing an overnight trail near Quinault Lake the last weekend in July. We'll probably be camping at about 3,500ft. Most of my mountain experience is in the Rockies, where even 6,000ft is not much different temperature than 2,000ft. So my question is: can I expect temperatures at 3,500ft to be similar to the weather forecast for nearby towns at 500ft? It may seem like a silly question, but I'm seeing snow reports at much lower elevations in the Olympics vs what I'm used to in the Rockies. In CO I wouldn't bother packing a jacket at 6,000ft, but should I pack one in WA? Thank you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Check out this site for some pretty accurate mountain weather.
    https://www.mountain-forecast.com

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Always pack foul weather gear "just in case" in Western Washington, even during our long dry summers. The Olympic Peninsula below 1000 feet and close to the coast usually shares weather and temperatures with the nearby shoreline, but above 1000 feet the weather can be much less predictable and occasionally much cooler. Don't go "stupid light". Be safe and enjoy.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WB BBXLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    HGB20+WBWW/HGP30
    Suspension
    Web
    I grew up on the peninsula, and hiked the trail between Lake Quinault and Low Divide more than once. It was over 30 years ago, but this is what I remember.

As you ascend from Lake Quinault the weather tends to get drier. However, this is relative since you are ascending out of a temperate rain forest. The temperatures that you will see there are significantly more moderate than what you see here in the Rockies (where I've lived the past 25 years), but do not be complacent. 40* in the Olympics can feel MUCH colder than it does in the dry air of Colorado. In Colorado Springs (over 6K ft) I often forgo a jacket at 40*; I would not in the Olympics at 3500 ft. I'm not saying you need a heavy jacket, just something that can break the wind over materials that will provide reasonable warmth when damp (no cotton).

A surprising number of people die from hypothermia in the Olympics because they are not prepared for the sometimes constant drizzle combined with temperatures that seem warm enough in drier climes.

You may very well be fortunate and experience dry weather, but you should be prepared the type of weather that is not uncommon in that area.

Images
    This past winter saw heavier than normal snowpack; that said, 3500' should be snowfree. Like colorado casual said, dampness causes the air to feel cooler. I carry warm clothes even in mid summer.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MJ
    Suspension
    AHE Straps/Slings
    Thank you for all the replies. TrailSlug, that website is awesome. Duly noted on the effects of damp air - it definitely sucks the warmth out of you. Sounds like a base layer shirt and light waterproof shell are worth the weight.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    All good relies so far. I would add a handy rule of thumb useful for estimating temperature changes with elevation gain:

In the troposphere (the first 4 km or 36,000 feet), and in a non-temperature inversion situation, the temperature drops about 5.4 degrees Fahrenheit per 1000 feet of elevation gain.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It's been a looong time but back in my climbing days, a rule of thumb for temps at altitude in the Cascade Range was -3°F for every thousand feet above sea level. And yes, the high humidity makes comparatively moderate temperatures in the Cascades and Olympics bone chilling, not to be taken lightly.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

I just got back from a backpacking trip to enchanted valley (to the north of lake quinault.) I packed for 40 degrees being the overnight temp. I brought my light jacket and definitely needed it once I got to camp and when I got out of my hammock in the morning. I did bring my tarp, but didn't end up needing it, though the cloud cover did drop into the valley in the morning leaving a little dew on my bug net.

I hope this helps, and if there's anything else I can possibly answer let me know!

• + New Posts