Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark
    Insulation
    HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch bkl & whoopi
    Thanks for the tutorial and the vid. Im glad you all are so capable- makes things easier for those of us that arent!

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Thanks for the description and photos. I normally use the improved soft shackles from Tac Blades. They aren't too much more work but much stronger. I use them for attaching my hammock so I want the extra strength but if you are looking for lightweight soft shackles they would be overkill and the ones you are creating would be perfect.

Just letting people know about an alternative soft shackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eZz36PRYI

Quote Originally Posted by scrope View Post
    Thanks for the description and photos. I normally use the improved soft shackles from Tac Blades. They aren't too much more work but much stronger. I use them for attaching my hammock so I want the extra strength but if you are looking for lightweight soft shackles they would be overkill and the ones you are creating would be perfect.

Just letting people know about an alternative soft shackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eZz36PRYI
    Yes, I do say in the first bit of the tutorial that these are for light loads only.
    I like the stronger soft shackle for hanging heavy loads: http://www.animatedknots.com/softsha...nger/index.php
    It's harder to make, but looks nice, and is very strong.

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    TTTM Diamond
    Insulation
    STS Comfort Lite L
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ive been using soft shackles of amsteel 7/64? (Smallest one) for a long time with my amsteel woopieslings made of same size. No problem. Amsteel is incredebly strong!

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I was looking for Prusik replacements (mine also seem to jam) and found these two Opie's and this - and Nanok's not quite a soft shackle. What about making Nanok's fixed loop Nanok.jpg tie the loop as a Kleimheist Knot. Then when you open the shackle, no worry about the knot.
    I think either would probably work with the Kleimheist. I had a hard time envisioning a way to splice a VT with shackle.

indeed, welcome to the forums, and nice work. you also point out something more general: we have a lot of stickies and old reference threads which either got "broken", as the one you are replacing, or could use updating.

to mcguff: also have a look at the other, simpler, and no splicing needed softshackle i devised. that one is much better for prusicks, becase it can be made with any line you can knot (important, as dyneema is pretty slippery, so not ideal for friction hitches), it is quick release, it's "line end" (so won't run away from you, can be used single handed), and is much simpler to make too. and it is perfect for using with a blake hitch or other "single tail" hitches, which is much superior to the prusik. give it a go, it's three knots and no tools (stopper of your choice, one or two alpine butterflys, and the friction hitch of your choice). no tutorial unfortunately (i know i should), but a thread discussing it here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hitch-variant)

edit: this one is the link for the "uni-shackle" thread, the link above is for using it as guyline tensioner
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...(uni-shackle-)
    Last edited by nanok; 07-06-2023 at 03:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12