Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    This is getting out of hand.

I've only just ordered the 1.0 Robic a few months back shipped to the UK.

It is horrific that the postage and duties cost the same as a decent hammock.

I'm not going through this again.

I'll just loose loads of weight and pamper the hell out of the 1.0 which I have still to make.

I'm moving over there.

That Kyle dude needs to figure out some way to get these US fabrics over here so we dont have to deal with the Chinese.

He needs to talk to me because there is a gaping hole that needs to be filled and lots of money to be made.

?

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunder
    Insulation
    Wooki 20 Degree
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I'll say the same of dream hammocks also.

If you have a massive lead time then people will buy elsewhere.

I did - despite knowing I was getting an inferior product.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by hammocks View Post
    I'll say the same of dream hammocks also. If you have a massive lead time then people will buy elsewhere. I did - despite knowing I was getting an inferior product.
    I completely understand.
    My family and I would much rather build fewer of the very best hammocks available rather than attempt to provide everybody with mediocre off the shelf hammocks.

And yes... if you didn't purchase a Dream Hammock, you did indeed get an inferior one.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by hammocks View Post
    I'll say the same of dream hammocks also.

If you have a massive lead time then people will buy elsewhere.

I did - despite knowing I was getting an inferior product.
    That's the beauty of all this, there's plenty of business to go around. True, there are folks who will buy elsewhere because they don't want to wait. That said, obviously, many people are choosing to purchase from Dream Hammock- which is why they have lead times in the first place. So, I don't think it's hurting them too much.
    Last edited by rweb82; 08-08-2017 at 15:44.

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    For the knotty mods: I start with the side hems first. Because I am using 1/2" flat elastic vs shock cord, I make the side hems ~5/8" wide with one line of stitching to leave the maximum open space in the hem. I start from the foot side/end of the hammock and sew the hem to about 2 ft down from the end and then lock the stitch. Lift the presser foot and slide the fabric about 1/2" and then start sewing again, locking the stitch of course. Continue to the end of the fabric, lock and cut the thread.

Turn the fabric around. Starting from the head side/end of the hammock I sew about 15" down and lock the stitch, release the presser foot and slide the fabric about 1/2", then lock the stitch and continue. About 2 ft from the end, I repeat the gap in the stitching and then sew to the end.

Sew the end hems on the hammock to finish the hammock body.

Use the 3 - 1/2" gaps in the hems to insert the elastic/shock cord for the Knotty mods. The elastic is inserted toward the middle of the hammock. I am liking the flat elastic because it slides easily into the gap in the hem and then I can sew the buried end in place leaving almost no bumps, knots, etc. I use about a 3 ft length for the footbox area, ~15" on the side opposite the footbox, and around 10" at the location above my head. Cut the elastic so about 2" is left sticking out of the opening in the hem. Tension the elastic pieces a little and tie a slippery half hitch on the ends. You can easily adjust them later and then cut off any unneeded elastic.

Weight conscious seamsters will want to use 3/32" (or even thinner) shockcord vs the elastic and also shorter lengths. HYOH!
    Bit late on this, but thanks for sharing this. Appreciate the detail.

I've personally just relied on basted piece of 1/2" grosgrain with an exit hole pre-melted that gets folded in when I do the whole hem in a single run. I feed some 3/32 shockcord through the holes, stitch off a knot in one end and put a micro cord lock on the other.

It's not nearly as elegant as your solution though. How many stretch points are you creating with the above, 2 or 4?
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234