Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up Chill Gorilla Oh Hell No! 11' bug net

I needed a net for my 11' diy hammock so I picked this one up for under $50 on Amazon. Its made with nano noseeum, has a large zippered opening with a decent zipper, the suspension openings are large and Velcro closed, each end also has a brass ring ( just like the Warbonnet Travel Sock) and it has an attached compression sack that's made from 1.1oz rip stop. First impressions are great, no defects, zippers work well, its large size will fit any hammock out there, plenty of room for any size/style/shape insulation system.... For under $50 it's actually preformed quite well. Chill Gorilla is a newer company that's US based, they've also got another net called " the Defender" as well as 2 types of tarp. I like testing out budget gear and this passes muster so far. I'll keep testing it throughout the humid Chesapeake bay summer and report back. If your on a budget, give this a hard look. Vid will be up soon as well.....
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I have the Chill Gorilla hex tarp, and it's great! It's not the lightest tarp out there, but works very well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up

Here's the link to the video review I did today. For once I didn't have a goose, duck or heron raising holy hell in the background lol. https://m.youtube.com/?spfreload=10#...?v=4Fr2shlXBTI

SNUGPAK 10×10 ALL WEATHER SHELTER MINI REVIEW :

It was raining pretty hard so I had to stay under my tarp, the Snugpak 10×10 All Weather Shelter. Its my main tarp for 3 season hanging, in the year that I've had it its been great. Its silpoly, so no stretch, has grosgrain loops along the RL, corners and down the sides, the corners have grommets, its got snaps on opposite sides to turn it into a giant emergency bivy and came with 4 10' adjustable 550 cord guy lines, aluminum stakes, zippered case + stuff sack + stake bag. I've used it in just about every weather condition and it held up great. The only negative that I've seen is that there aren't grosgrain loops in the middle of the sides for it to be used in a square pitch. I tried adding tarp clips in those 2 spots, but they started to make tiny holes, so I 86 them. Other than that, its an amazing tarp, and I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them around here.

SUBITO 1 SEASON BUDGET UQ REVIEW/UPDATE :

Along with testing the Chill Gorilla bug net, I've been giving my "$30 Subito budget summer UQ" a fair and honest shake. I really bashed it in a vid I did back in the winter when I ordered it, and after apologizing in post on here I felt I should give it a good look before I said it was junk again. Now that its well within it listed temp range I've been using it inside here at home with the a/c cranked to polar, and more recently outside as well. I still don't like the shorter than average length/width, or the bath tub style, 2 piece construction, BUT ( and its a big but) it does live up to its listed temp rating (+ a few degrees surprisingly), is fairly lightweight, had ZERO loose threads/ q.c issues out of the box, came in a vary well constructed compression sack and at only $30 its the most inexpensive UQ I've seen so far, and is a whole lot cheaper than a few other similarly constructed UQ's by Kammok and a few other "non-cottage" companies than mass produce their quilts. Not there is anything wrong with them, but from what I've read and seen, this quilt is pretty much identical to other quilts of this style and construction, but at a fraction of the cost. So Im gonna so the Subito 1 season UQ is a good budget buy. It won't last forever or be the best quilt for a long hike, but if your on a budget I'd recommended it for sure. - Chesapeake
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I have the Chill Gorilla hex tarp, and it's great! It's not the lightest tarp out there, but works very well.

I've been thinking of getting one of those! It looks really nice for the price, and at 11' with cat cuts it will give me more coverage than my Snugpak 10×10 in diamond pitch. So you like yours then?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I've been thinking of getting one of those! It looks really nice for the price, and at 11' with cat cuts it will give me more coverage than my Snugpak 10×10 in diamond pitch. So you like yours then?
    I do really like the Chill Gorilla tarp. It seems to be very durable. It's actually almost 12' long at the ridgeline (142" I believe). It does not have cat cuts, though. But I can still pitch it very tight- even without the cat cuts. Coverage is great.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    21 ounces!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    21 ounces!
    Yeah this net is pretty lightweight. I forgot to mention the specs : its made from 950 sq/inch polyester nano no see-um, is 132" × 51" , and the attached compression sack is 4"×5" . Here's the link to the Chill Gorilla website : http://chillgorilla.com/product/chil...-survival-gear

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Yeah this net is pretty lightweight. I forgot to mention the specs : its made from 950 sq/inch polyester nano no see-um, is 132" × 51" , and the attached compression sack is 4"×5" . Here's the link to the Chill Gorilla website : http://chillgorilla.com/product/chil...-survival-gear
    Comparatively speaking, the Chill Gorilla bug net is quite heavy- when you compare it to the Warbonnet bug net, or the fronkey-style net from Dutch. Both of those only weigh 7oz or so. I think Chill Gorilla makes nice gear; but I would personally spend the additional $10-$20 on a cottage vendor bug net to save almost 1lb. I was fine with the additional weight of the Chill Gorilla tarp, because I would've had to spend about $70 more for a cottage vendor silpoly tarp to save that 1lb.

As for its usability, there's no doubt in my mind that the Chill Gorilla bug net performs as advertised. But for a small amount of additional $$, you could get an equally-functional bug net, and save about 14oz.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah, I got a full bug net from Jared at SLD and it weighs 6.05 ozs. on my scale, and that is with the stuff sack.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Comparatively speaking, the Chill Gorilla bug net is quite heavy- when you compare it to the Warbonnet bug net, or the fronkey-style net from Dutch. Both of those only weigh 7oz or so. I think Chill Gorilla makes nice gear; but I would personally spend the additional $10-$20 on a cottage vendor bug net to save almost 1lb. I was fine with the additional weight of the Chill Gorilla tarp, because I would've had to spend about $70 more for a cottage vendor silpoly tarp to save that 1lb.

As for its usability, there's no doubt in my mind that the Chill Gorilla bug net performs as advertised. But for a small amount of additional $$, you could get an equally-functional bug net, and save about 14oz.
    I totally agree. Once I thought about it I realized its actually not that light compared to much better ones that only cost a few more bucks. While Chill is a US company, they mass produce in China and its noticeable. I didn't see any bad spots anywhere, but the ends where it closes around the suspension are a little rough. Nothing a lighter passed an inch or so away can't fix, but its noticeable. I personally prefer cottage made for most of my gear. I do like Snugpak though. Like you I would def recommend a cottage net before this, but if its tight budget, the Chill is just fine I think. But your def right, if at all possible, spend the $20 and get one that will last and is made by hand in the US from a person you can actually go see or talk to of need be. I just really like trying out gear lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast