Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Thunderfly Vs Mamajama with removable doors

What do you think is a better 3 season set-up? Do you think the thunder fly would work in most conditions.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    The door kit is great. It gives you options. 1 door to 4 doors. But that comes a a weight penalty of 8 ozish. Not a big space penalty though.

I think it all depends on the how windy the storm is. I think if wit's warm weather most storms the Thunderfly would be great, you could use your rain gear to close up one side if needed.

I will say that I see a Thunderfly in my tarp future (presently I have the MamaJamba with D kit and the Superfly)...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BilliardPete View Post
    The door kit is great. It gives you options. 1 door to 4 doors. But that comes a a weight penalty of 8 ozish. Not a big space penalty though.

I think it all depends on the how windy the storm is. I think if wit's warm weather most storms the Thunderfly would be great, you could use your rain gear to close up one side if needed.

That's a good point...I carry a STS poucho/tarp..that could certainly be used.

I will say that I see a Thunderfly in my tarp future (presently I have the MamaJamba with D kit and the Superfly)...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Years ago when I carried a door kit I found I never used them. Then I bought a tarp with no doors for 3 season use and have had no problems staying dry and warm. If you want to shave ounces but keep a bit more coverage, the Thunderfly would be my choice over carrying doors. There's just that little bit more protection from rain that I think is handy.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Picture 084.jpgPicture 081.jpgPicture 082.jpgPicture 083.jpg

A few pics of the MamaJamba with the doors and pole mod to see the coverage. And to post a few pics of i...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I'll be stringing up my Thunderfly with a pole mod this weekend (knock on wood), so I'll take some picks and post up on Sunday. I purchased the Thunderfly for reasons listed above...save a bit of weight as compared to a 4S tarp or removable doors while maintaining better protection compared to standard Hex tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I like the Thunderfly idea. Many times all you need is a little extra overhanging the ends. I started off years ago liking the Mamajamba with doors, sometimes only taking 2 doors. But after while I realized I could get by fine with just the tarp without doors. 99% of the time when I needed doors, it just made more sense to take a Superfly.

The separate doors were a little annoying to mess with. Plus the inside and outside sort of get wet because of the overlapping opposed to the solid 1-piece design of the Superfly. Just another little annoyance. The MJ doors sat on my shelf for years until I finally sold them recently.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    The separate doors were a little annoying to mess with. Plus the inside and outside sort of get wet because of the overlapping opposed to the solid 1-piece design of the Superfly. Just another little annoyance. The MJ doors sat on my shelf for years until I finally sold them recently.
    Every time I think I've decided on which tarp set up to order, you open your mouth and cause me to change my mind. I WAS actually considering the MambaJamba with the doors, so I could leave them at home. Don't think I'll go that route now.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Woodsman View Post
    Every time I think I've decided on which tarp set up to order, you open your mouth and cause me to change my mind. I WAS actually considering the MambaJamba with the doors, so I could leave them at home. Don't think I'll go that route now.
    HAHA sorry. Of course it's up to you...take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a horribly indecisive person and it takes me a long time and several tries to make up my mind (my winter boot and UQ fiascos prove that).

Maybe I'm just lucky, but there are just so many trips where I either have no rain or just a light shower for an hour overnight. A simple tarp like the Mamajamba makes complete sense...no extras I don't need. With the door kit, all 4 stuffed into the sack is the size of my medium-sized fist...so one could argue "don't even know it's in your pack". But I used to be one of those "weighs nothing" people, until I started weighing all my items that "weigh nothing". Turns out I was wrong Then there's the hassle factor. Again, not a big deal, but I like easy...fast...less to pack, clean and dry after the trip.

I still like this Thunderfly though. But it wouldn't make sense for me since I already have the MJ and SF.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    HAHA sorry. Of course it's up to you...take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm a horribly indecisive person and it takes me a long time and several tries to make up my mind (my winter boot and UQ fiascos prove that).

Maybe I'm just lucky, but there are just so many trips where I either have no rain or just a light shower for an hour overnight. A simple tarp like the Mamajamba makes complete sense...no extras I don't need. With the door kit, all 4 stuffed into the sack is the size of my medium-sized fist...so one could argue "don't even know it's in your pack". But I used to be one of those "weighs nothing" people, until I started weighing all my items that "weigh nothing". Turns out I was wrong Then there's the hassle factor. Again, not a big deal, but I like easy...fast...less to pack, clean and dry after the trip.

I still like this Thunderfly though. But it wouldn't make sense for me since I already have the MJ and SF.

I'm still digging the looks of the Thunderfly and would pull the trigger for sure on it if it came down to the ground just a little bit more. Really anxious to see some reviews on it soon once people start getting it in their hands.

But I am glad I read what you had to say about the door kit for the MambaJamba. Good input and that was helpful, thanks.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast