DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various

New guy with JungleNest mod question

New guy here. New to hammock camping, though as a younger man I spent several months sleeping in a Mexican string hammock.
    Just got a JungleNest as a gift (first camping hammock) and have been rigging it with whoopies and tree huggers and like that. Big learning curve. Fun.

Anyway, I’ve also made a structural ridgeline (whoopie/fixed loop), and it seems to work well enough, with only minimal interference with the integral bug net. Allowing that, as always, the perfect is the enemy of the good, has anyone here rigged their JungleNest to more gracefully accept a structural ridgeline?

Thanks .

--Prof

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can't be of any help with your question, but welcome to the forums!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, BBXLC, HH Expedition
    Tarp
    SLD WH / SMR Nube
    Insulation
    HG Inc/Burrow
    Suspension
    SMR EZslings
    I have tried several different setups with mine. I have removed the elastic and ran a ridgeline through the inside, ran the original ridgeline on the outside as advertised, ran 2 separate lines, one to each end of the net where the elastic is. Honestly, I haven't figured it out. Maybe I'm spoiled with my other bug net hammock setups, but I hate the bug net on the Jungle nest. Everything I have tried made it worse lol, so I'm back to using the original ridgeline/Prussic/elastic setup. If you figure anything out that works well, I'd love to hear about it!

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    I have a SRL on my junglenest, but maybe I have a different brand. I have an ENO junglenest. I just ran the SRL through the small hole on each end from the gathering and looped it around my continuous loop on each end. Is there another brand that also has a junglenest? I don't have any elastic on mine, either.
    Last edited by Tree Rhino; 07-06-2017 at 07:17.
    Tree Rhino
    YouTube Channel-------------Website
    Twitter------Instagram------Facebook
    not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I did the exact same thing with mine and it works great!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rhino View Post
    I have a SRL on my junglenest, but maybe I have a different brand. I have an ENO junglenest. I just ran the SRL through the small hole on each end from the gathering and looped it around my continuous loop on each end. Is there another brand that also has a junglenest? I don't have any elastic on mine, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    I did the exact same thing with mine and it works great!
    Excellent info, and encouraging. Thanks! This is an ENO JungleNest.

Further question (of course): When you say you ran the SRL through the small hole on each end , are you referring to a design feature I've overlooked, or to holes you made in the fabric at the gathered ends, or to holes you opened in the stitching there and then tacked down tight on either side, or to the grommeted holes in the bugnet itself, where the elastic cords run up to the ridgeline, or . . . ?

Not finding any existing holes at my gathered ends, and hesitant (so early in the process) to make holes, I simply attached the SRL to the continuous loop at either end, on the outside of the bugnet. It didn't occur to me to run the SRL from outside to inside through the grommeted holes.

Thanks again for helping a noob!

--Prof
    Last edited by professrh; 07-06-2017 at 10:18.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Those little grummets in the bug net where Eno has the hooks to adjust the net heights to the Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Those little grummets in the bug net where Eno has the hooks to adjust the net heights to the Ridgeline.
    Perfect. Thanks! Will try that this afternoon.

--Prof

Hammock
    ENO JungleNest/WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Ember 2/EE Convert
    Suspension
    Orange Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by professrh View Post
    Excellent info, and encouraging. Thanks! This is an ENO JungleNest.

Further question (of course): When you say you ran the SRL through the small hole on each end , are you referring to a design feature I've overlooked, or to holes you made in the fabric at the gathered ends, or to holes you opened in the stitching there and then tacked down tight on either side, or to the grommeted holes in the bugnet itself, where the elastic cords run up to the ridgeline, or . . . ?

Not finding any existing holes at my gathered ends, and hesitant (so early in the process) to make holes, I simply attached the SRL to the continuous loop at either end, on the outside of the bugnet. It didn't occur to me to run the SRL from outside to inside through the grommeted holes.

Thanks again for helping a noob!

--Prof
    I ungathered the ends of the hammock when I put my continuous loops on the ends and took out the stock black rope. When you run the CL through the end and gather it up, there is a hole through the fabric. Before I cinched the continuous loops fully closed, I slid the SRL through from the inside out and then cinched it all together.

Now that I actually pulled my junglenest out, I realize that I did initially pull it through the gathered end, but I then decided to just wrap it on my continuous loop. I'm not sure why I didn't keep it running through the hole. Here is a picture of the end of it. Orange is the continuous loop and my SRL is gray.IMG_20170706_163733380.jpg
    Last edited by Tree Rhino; 07-06-2017 at 16:40.
    Tree Rhino
    YouTube Channel-------------Website
    Twitter------Instagram------Facebook
    not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien
    an optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rhino View Post
    I ungathered the ends of the hammock when I put my continuous loops on the ends and took out the stock black rope. When you run the CL through the end and gather it up, there is a hole through the fabric. Before I cinched the continuous loops fully closed, I slid the SRL through from the inside out and then cinched it all together.

Now that I actually pulled my junglenest out, I realize that I did initially pull it through the gathered end, but I then decided to just wrap it on my continuous loop. I'm not sure why I didn't keep it running through the hole. Here is a picture of the end of it. Orange is the continuous loop and my SRL is gray.IMG_20170706_163733380.jpg
    Nice.

The SRL I made is just a whoopie sling with a fixed loop at one end. I larksheaded the fixed loop end through the CL inside the bunching at the foot end of the hammock; the WS end is (during the experimentation phase) attached at the head end with one of the carabiners that came with the hammock. I'll replace the carabiner, once I have a better sense of what I'm doing, with a soft shackle.

If I'm reading your post and picture right, you've got the SRL attached at the bunched ends of the hammock and then running through the grommets in the bug net so it holds the net up out of the way, correct? Anyway, that's how I rigged mine this afternoon (thus eliminating the need for an external bugnet ridgeline). I'll use prusik knots on the SRL to fine-tune the drape of the bug net.

Thanks for your help!

--Prof

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast