Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    I concur; my rule of thumb is that user height + 6" makes a generous top quilt length, so you should be good to go.
    I'll have to remember that tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Can't compare the two. The Serrano is similar to the other economy quilts, but the Ghost Pepper is a premium quilt. The chevron baffles control down shift infinitely better than straight baffles.

If you want a bare bones quilt, any of the economy quilts will fill the bill. If you are looking for more options in fabric, down and colors then you should be looking at a premium quilt. It depends on your wants and budget.
    Thanks for clearing up the baffle question, George... I just wasn't sure how much of a difference that would make. Sounds like it would make a difference to me, especially since I'm always cold. Size and weight matter to me, like I said... the economy quilts all seem to come in the colors that I would be looking at in a premium quilt, so no issues there. And besides weight, I'm just not sure how differences in fabric would matter to me. I just don't have enough experience with the different ones to understand them. I sent you an email yesterday to ask for your further opinion about my specific wants/needs

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    If your going for a FKT, or a long Thru-hike, every ounce matters. If your of wealth, have money burning a hole in your pocket or a gear junkie that has to have the best, price really does not matter that much. If your body size/ frame/ weight , different issues will arise out of different gear and having options may make you a customer. So where am I going with this.....Some gear is just not for you, it can be, but knowing you, your limitations, and your wallet will allow you to get what you really need. It is all a individual needs issue, along with the market accepting the fact that it has to stay competitive.
    Personally larger # fill power really gets its value at lower temps, and when space is at a premium: Zero and below
    Some companies will not do custom work on budget gear, so if you have special needs that need to be addressed ask.
    Some fabrics may only be available, same with colors, and some will work with your materials so also ask.
    But my experience with HG, regular/premium custom gear and econ gear are great. The folks over there are top notch in my book. And while that may seem a little bias, I admit it is. I have not felt the need to change it up after I have had so many reasons to stay a loyal customer. But I am sure other vendors offer the same or similar quality with their products.
    Last and not least Time to get what you need when you need it, if that is important that should also be addressed.
    So in summery it really depends on you, your time, your needs, how it pairs with current or pending gear purchases, the cost and relationship with your vendor.
    Thanks for the insight. I'm not going for a FKT or a thru-hike, but I do like to try to keep things as light as I can within my budget when making purchasing decisions, so I have the ability to comfortably bring my few luxury items along when I hike/camp. With that being said, I don't have wealth or money burning a hole in my pocket, but I do have the money to purchase a regular or non-economy line quilt within reason (for example, I'm not looking to spend over $300 on a TQ, but it doesn't appear that I have to in either direction I go)... but just because I have it, doesn't mean it's the best purchase if I don't necessarily need the extras that a premium quilt is offering. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out here - is the few ounces in weight and different fabrics worth the extra cost? I'm just not sure. When you are new to backpacking and hammocking and have also never owned a product you are buying before, it's hard to answer these questions! Thanks again.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    ...And besides weight, I'm just not sure how differences in fabric would matter to me. I just don't have enough experience with the different ones to understand them...
    I have slept a few nights now in my 40F Saver Series Serrano; it performs very well (as we've had overnight lows below 50F since I received it), and the 1.1 oz Ion fabric is sturdy and breathable with an excellent feel to the finish. I have other Loco Libre Gear top quilts with Argon 90 inside, but this Ion TQ in no way feels second-class. My 80" wide quilt is made from approximately 7.2 square yards of the Ion exonomy fabric, so it is about 40 grams heavier than if it had been made with 0.9 oz shells; that's the approximate weight difference attributable to the shells alone (not to differences in down FP), and with a smaller quilt it will be less. The sale price of my expertly made, superbly performing Saver Series quilt was, quite literally, less than if I had bought the individual components to DIY one (especially with 0.9 oz shells and higher FP down), so George has my respect and thanks for spec'ing his economy quilts so nicely. I will gladly live with the "weight penalty" on such an excellent value. The workmanship on all LLG quilts including the Saver Series is absolutely beautiful.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Thanks for the insight. I'm not going for a FKT or a thru-hike, but I do like to try to keep things as light as I can within my budget when making purchasing decisions, so I have the ability to comfortably bring my few luxury items along when I hike/camp. With that being said, I don't have wealth or money burning a hole in my pocket, but I do have the money to purchase a regular or non-economy line quilt within reason (for example, I'm not looking to spend over $300 on a TQ, but it doesn't appear that I have to in either direction I go)... but just because I have it, doesn't mean it's the best purchase if I don't necessarily need the extras that a premium quilt is offering. I guess that's what I'm trying to figure out here - is the few ounces in weight and different fabrics worth the extra cost? I'm just not sure. When you are new to backpacking and hammocking and have also never owned a product you are buying before, it's hard to answer these questions! Thanks again.
    Then my opinion would be to get one of the economy line top quilts. See how you like what you have and if there is something you'd want different, then you can upgrade later to exactly what you want(that changes with time as well) and sell the current quilt for small loss. THAT small 'loss' will be the best $$ spent.

Disclaimer... I have a premium TQ and love it, but am still tempted to order a 'budget' quilt just because.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Seems like a tough decision, so I'm glad I got my quilt situation settled before these econ models were available! I'm not good with decisions

I think I would do the same if I could do it all over. I'm all about saving money, but for something like this that lasts a long time and is a critical part of your kit, I won't miss the $150 or whatever I saved. Especially not after 10, 20, 50 nights. Every time I pack the quilts, I like knowing that I have a quilt that packs smaller and lighter than the other option, and there will be no "what ifs" or regrets.

But the fact that there are now so many options is great since everyone sees this differently.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think it's also important to note that sometimes you don't even fully know what you want until you try something. Once you give yourself a frame of reference, you will better have the ability to figure out your specific wants and needs.

I've always been a "best bang for the buck" kind of guy, so for me, the economy lines suit me well. Even if I had $300 to spend, I'd probably still get an economy quilt, and use the rest of the $ for something else- like a summer quilt, or a new tarp. Or heck, even a new hammock. As for weight- with everything else in my pack staying the same, I don't think I can feel the difference of the additional 3 ounces that the economy quilts add.

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    My thinking was to get a 20* set, It is the lowest temp I would want to Hang in, and for here in the south is about as much inso I would ever need. At the time there were not any offerings for economy or budget quilts. I went with a incubator 20* short, I'm 5'11'' and is perfect for me. I also got a 20* TQ wide/standard with a sewn in foot box, I sleep on my side and wanted a wider quilt if I ever had to use a shelter or go to ground. Later I found out that the draw string in the middle of my face bugged the heck out of me, and since I move a lot in my sleep I lost a lot of warmth and decided to add in a draft collar to my TQ. So I sent it in for some upgrades and HG did so along with a repair on my quilt, I don't think that I would have been able to get these modifications if it were a budget quilt. Why cause I asked them when I ordered my 40* econ set. I really had a hard time deciding to pull the purchase trigger knowing this up front, even with the savings in cost, But I was still looking for taking a min weight savings even with a shorter length phoenix, and a snap box TQ. I had no idea what the new fabric was like and how tough it is, but loved the orange color, and felt that it was necessary here esp during spring/fall wild turkey seasons in the south and for getting through blackberry winter. And saving 11.40z of pack weight in the process of swapping to summer quilts, from the winter season. Keeping in mind that if I wind up further North at a later time I could pair my quilts together to get me close to what I think I would need.
    Now with experience and using my gear I have had my 20* set down to 8* with snowy wind at 30kts and have been fine in a T-shirt and boxers and my econ 40* set down to 40* and been just fine without using a pad for my feet. And I like the feel of the econ fabric.
    So I think you will be just fine what ever end of the gear pool you dive into.
    Last edited by T- Minus; 07-06-2017 at 12:52.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T- Minus View Post
    with snowy wind at 30kts
    I want to use a Joe Pesci/Leathal Weapon meme here so bad, but it wouldn't be forum-friendly

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I want to use a Joe Pesci/Leathal Weapon meme here so bad, but it wouldn't be forum-friendly
    you could PM it lol.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast