Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    Renegade, Bandit, Ghost Pepper, Burrow... Gahhh!
    LOL... for what it's worth...
    There aren't really any bad choices here. All of them are quality American made bags that will do the job.

These are also all intended for hammock use... and a GE at that? (not a bridge).
    If you're a real thrasher you could discuss baffle design, but most GE users sleep on their back in a pretty stable position. If you're sleeping on the ground (where the pad is flat and the TQ does all the work) then a shaped TQ has some advantages worth discussing some finer points. But to be blunt in a GE hammock your UQ is doing the bulk of the work and the TQ is more or less only covering the top 1/3 of your body and in a relatively flat position at that. So other than nerding out or fanboying for one vendor or another nobody mentioned makes gear you'd be disappointed in.

It's just gear... it won't cure your bald spot, make the woods any prettier or the stargazing any better. Pull the trigger and hit the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    It's just gear... it won't cure your bald spot, make the woods any prettier or the stargazing any better. Pull the trigger and hit the trail.
    Love it. I've been watching this thread with the same questions as souperjen. Maybe I'll have to order tonight. Down to LL GP or UGQ Bandit 20*, undecided on a 20* UQ to use year round, and a 40/50* econ/saver TQ for summer down here in the Southeast to go with a yet to be ordered chameleon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by redgun24 View Post
    Love it. I've been watching this thread with the same questions as souperjen. Maybe I'll have to order tonight. Down to LL GP or UGQ Bandit 20*, undecided on a 20* UQ to use year round, and a 40/50* econ/saver TQ for summer down here in the Southeast to go with a yet to be ordered chameleon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Well in true HF fashion...
    Guess Jen has to pick between UGQ and LL... then you have to order the other one... Spread the love, lol.

Eventually- you'll probably own two or three sets depending on where you live.
    30/50 (UQ/TQ) seems to be a popular choice for the southerners and 20/40 for the northerners as a decent first set... You can go overboard on the UQ and get more value there as it's easier to vent and hard to overheat. (and the UQ does all the work). But trying to use a TQ much more than 20* or so above it's rating gets too uncomfortable for many. So a 20 or 30 will do it for most... if you're mainly warm weather then a 40/50* TQ will get you going and you can pick up a TQ to match your UQ's rating for cooler weather. In high summer even in this area- a cotton poly bedsheet is plenty of TQ for me.

Depends on you and when you can go but other than saving weight and pack space most seem to feel they can get away with one UQ and two TQ's as a good three season set without owning two UQ's.
    Winter is it's own deal but yer winter and Shug's winter are their own deal too, lol. Some of the south east folks are safely walled behind air conditioning all summer and will only venture out during the more frigid months where it might get close to 40* or the occasional 30* so seems that the same system mainly applies even if the name of the month one employs it doesn't.

There are so many good sales and deals right now it's tough.
    The Incubator is a shaped UQ and some folks find that a compelling advantage in an UQ... so an Econ version of that seems a fine place to start out on the UQ side to me. Some of the SUL florida folks I work with have commented to me about all the palmetto, pine and other aggressive vegetation they run into that a beefier shell than I'd use is needed... but then we tend to skirt that problem with PLG synthetic quilts.
    So if you're thinking you're in a place you might want to add an UQ protector... then a heavier shelled still weighs less, costs less and is less complicated than selecting yet another piece of hammock gear to buy, carry, and hang.

Thanks again for the thorough explanation. It really helps as I still have a lot to learn.

I'll be camping primarily in N Georgia and Western NC so I'm thinking I should be ok with 20/40; I'm not too hot of a sleeper and I've seen some AT recommendations for March starts at 20* which is where I'd be generally. Plus I think that would give me more flexibility for 3-season trips out west. Thanks for the recommendation on the Incubator. I think I'll go ahead and pick up a 20 Econ.

@Souperjen24, go ahead and pick between LL & UGQ so I can get all this ordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Well in true HF fashion...
    Guess Jen has to pick between UGQ and LL... then you have to order the other one... Spread the love, lol.

Eventually- you'll probably own two or three sets depending on where you live.
    30/50 (UQ/TQ) seems to be a popular choice for the southerners and 20/40 for the northerners as a decent first set... You can go overboard on the UQ and get more value there as it's easier to vent and hard to overheat. (and the UQ does all the work). But trying to use a TQ much more than 20* or so above it's rating gets too uncomfortable for many. So a 20 or 30 will do it for most... if you're mainly warm weather then a 40/50* TQ will get you going and you can pick up a TQ to match your UQ's rating for cooler weather. In high summer even in this area- a cotton poly bedsheet is plenty of TQ for me.

Depends on you and when you can go but other than saving weight and pack space most seem to feel they can get away with one UQ and two TQ's as a good three season set without owning two UQ's.
    Winter is it's own deal but yer winter and Shug's winter are their own deal too, lol. Some of the south east folks are safely walled behind air conditioning all summer and will only venture out during the more frigid months where it might get close to 40* or the occasional 30* so seems that the same system mainly applies even if the name of the month one employs it doesn't.

There are so many good sales and deals right now it's tough.
    The Incubator is a shaped UQ and some folks find that a compelling advantage in an UQ... so an Econ version of that seems a fine place to start out on the UQ side to me. Some of the SUL florida folks I work with have commented to me about all the palmetto, pine and other aggressive vegetation they run into that a beefier shell than I'd use is needed... but then we tend to skirt that problem with PLG synthetic quilts.
    So if you're thinking you're in a place you might want to add an UQ protector... then a heavier shelled still weighs less, costs less and is less complicated than selecting yet another piece of hammock gear to buy, carry, and hang.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Renegade, Bandit, Ghost Pepper, Burrow... Gahhh!
    Don't forget Flight Jacket, Wilderness Logics, Mamba, and Enigma. 😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Just want to thank everyone again for your advice and insight. I went ahead today and purchased a 10* Ghost Pepper to go along with the 40* Econ Burrow I purchased last week. I'm pretty stoked!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I went ahead today and purchased a 10* Ghost Pepper...I'm pretty stoked!
    Whoooo buddy. You should be. Enjoy.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345