Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Clockwise or counter on the ERL?

Or does it matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I've done the ERL quite a few times & prefer to go counter clockwise. Like rhjans, I start the hike after I get there and get in as many miles as I can before dark. Day 2, hike the Athens-Big Fork leg (tough) and Viles Branch all the way to Winding Stairs by the end of the day, which is a great place to camp. If you have the time & weather permitting, it's nice to have a lazy day swimming, fishing, playing with the dog & messing around. By then, you're not that far from the car depending where you park. In years past, you could park at the Albert Pike campground but some years ago, a flash flood came through & washed away a bunch of cars & people during the night, so it was decided they'd no longer allow overnight parking & camping there.

It's pretty up there too, especially this time of year. There's plenty of water along the way (there's a fresh water spring just after your pass the old Albert Pike campground) & generally good camping spots to be had at the end of the day. The Athens-Big Fork trail is a lot of up & down all day & whoever originally blazed the trail, apparently didn't believe in switchbacks cause a lot of trail goes straight up the mountain! If you've only got a few days to be on the trail, it's a good hike.

Here's picture of Winding Stairs to peek your interest!

Last edited by ObdewlaX; 11-02-2017 at 11:06.

We may be visiting friends near Lamar Arkansas for Thanksgiving. I want to take a 3 day trip. Either Eagle Rock Loop or maybe a 20-30 mile section of the Ouachita Trail. We will have vehicle and drivers available so loop or point to point doesn't matter.

I've always wanted to hike the ERL so leaning to that.
    I know this thread is old and I am a little late to the party here, but just curious... Did you ever make the ERL and if so, thoughts?

I am looking at planning a late spring trip there for a 3 day/2 night stay around the loop, and just was curious how your first trip out there went? Thanks!

--LC

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by LC0307 View Post
    I know this thread is old and I am a little late to the party here, but just curious... Did you ever make the ERL and if so, thoughts?

I am looking at planning a late spring trip there for a 3 day/2 night stay around the loop, and just was curious how your first trip out there went? Thanks!

--LC
    No didn't go. Thinking I may go soon though. I'll keep you posted if I do.

No didn't go. Thinking I may go soon though. I'll keep you posted if I do.
    Sounds good. I'm looking at a possible trip the first week of June to hit up the ERL, but not officially set that date in stone yet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12