WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Yeti thoughts ?

I'm considering the yeti for the warmer months but don't like the idea of a foot mat tbh. The whole idea of the yeti would be to shed some weight and the foot mat would bring the weight back to a wooki.

Lowest I'll be using it would be 25/30 degrees

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dippa View Post
    ... and the foot mat would bring the weight back to a wooki.

Which is exactly why I've abandoned the whole short quilt idea. It just too comfortable to have full length quilts unless it's in the 50°F and up range and then "shorties" can work as at these temps you do not need a foot pad.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree if you just use the "Foot Pad" at night... but most use it as a "Butt Pad - Wind Screen - Fire Blaster - etc" during the day. This means that the weight is not added to the "Sleep Category" but is added to the "consumables" or worn clothing so you stay ultralight! JK about the last sentence.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Which is exactly why I've abandoned the whole short quilt idea. It just too comfortable to have full length quilts unless it's in the 50°F and up range and then "shorties" can work as at these temps you do not need a foot pad.
    Slug, this brings me to another mystery, to me at least. I dont think I have ever seen a quilt higher than 50* for sell. What do GE users in Florida do when it is 70 to 85 at night? I was in my Chameleon a couple of weeks ago, 70*, in SC and with my ENO down UQ (maybe 40* rating) I was pretty hot. Had to keep reaching out and venting, have gone w/o and then CBS. Never really have this in my RidgeRunner DL, used a REI mat with a R-4 rating with no problem with overheating. In it I think being able to roll around allows you to keep cool easier

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    8-12 feet tall. 300-600 lbs. white hair. big feet. throws rocks and clacks sticks together to scare you away.

I tried the 3/4 length thing and just didn't like it. I'd rather have the full length quilt. I'm willing to carry a few extra ounces to keep the feet warm. And like you said, add the foot pad and your weight is right back up to the same as a full length quilt.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

I had the same thought. I'm a fairly cold sleeper. Even at 65 to 70 F at night, I find around 1 am, I have to use some form of underquilt when the metabolism slows down. I thought about 20F Yeti as it provides the small package and still the 20F rating for unexpected dips. I used my son's 1 S Jarbidge the other weekend and it dipped down to the upper 50s and I was fine. Even as a cold sleeper, I didn't need/use a pad with the 3/4 quilt at the mid-upper 50s. I was going to order the Yeti, but I'm fairly wide in the shoulders so I ordered a 40F Econ Phoenix since it's 4 to 5 inches wider than the Yeti. I may still order the Yeti. Just think it sounds like something a fellar ought to own!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    Slug, this brings me to another mystery, to me at least. I dont think I have ever seen a quilt higher than 50* for sell. What do GE users in Florida do when it is 70 to 85 at night? I was in my Chameleon a couple of weeks ago, 70*, in SC and with my ENO down UQ (maybe 40* rating) I was pretty hot. Had to keep reaching out and venting, have gone w/o and then CBS. Never really have this in my RidgeRunner DL, used a REI mat with a R-4 rating with no problem with overheating. In it I think being able to roll around allows you to keep cool easier

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    For me when it's 75° and above you can get by with no insulation or something very light. Many use poncho liners as insulation in these temps as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dippa View Post
    I'm considering the yeti for the warmer months but don't like the idea of a foot mat tbh. The whole idea of the yeti would be to shed some weight and the foot mat would bring the weight back to a wooki.

Hi Dippa, I assume you being from the UK you are talking about 25/30 C For those temps you don't need a foot pad in your TQ.
    I love the 3/4 UQ for hiking season when I only use a 30L backpack.

Hammock
    WBBB XCL SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Dippa, I assume you being from the UK you are talking about 25/30 C For those temps you don't need a foot pad in your TQ.
    I love the 3/4 UQ for hiking season when I only use a 30L backpack.

Hey OutandBack, I was referring to fahrenheit because majority on here are from the US Thinking about it though,I'd probs only use it the warmer months so temp would be in its 40s F

I'm liking the setup, great pic

Images
    I am old and don't generate heat the way I used to 25-30F is below freezing and too cold for a 3/4UQ IMO. My cut off for a 3/4 UQ is about 50F.
    In Colorado below freezing nights are usually expected in late Fall. Late fall I am up to a 50L pack and full length 20F quilts.
    Life is too short I will never trade pack weight/volume for warmth thru the night. Want to jackup your trip fast try not sleeping because you are too cold to fall asleep.

Only you will know what works and what doesn't everyones tolerance to cold is different. That is why our ForSale forum is so active. Buy it try it, learn what works for you and sell the rest.
    If you stick with well respected vendors that post here you will have no trouble getting dang close to what you paid. Go weird, esoteric, or made in China and you may just have to eat your purchase.
    hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast