Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Video: Yellowstone National Park - Multi-Night Kayak Trip - Yellowstone Lake

In continuation of my 12 month challenge here is my June video of a multi-night trip in Yellowstone National Park.

Night 1: Dispersed Camping in the Big Horn Mountains. Very pretty area and it is free to camp of the road up there. Great area to for free Camping near Sheridan Wyoming.

Night 2: Bridge Bay Campground - Yellowstone. If you plan on hammock camping at Bridge Bay, ensure you get a campsite in the upper loop. The is the only loop that has trees for sure. The lower loop is a field that has some really strong wings.

Night 3: Kayak Backcountry Site - About 15 miles across Yellowstone Lake from Bridge Bay on the Promontory. Chartered a boat to get us about 11 miles across Yellowstone Lake. We paddled the last 4 miles on rainy/windy day but everyone made it safely to the site. The next day we had some successful Cutthroat Trout fishing.

Night 4: Kayak Backcountry Site - On the tip of the Promontory. The sun came out and we were able to dry out our gear and just relax the day away which was nice. Fishing again was excellent and the views were amazing.

Night 5:Back at the Bridge Bay campground we coined the phrase "Cardoor Symphony" for the hour of numerous car doors opening and closing as the sun sets. Ahhhh, camping in a full campground, also the place where you don't get to go to sleep until the last person goes to sleep. I take a cozy night in a full campground everyone once and a while if it means I can get some time in the Yellowstone backcountry.

It was a great trip. We are talking about doing another trip next year in the Yellowstone Backcountry.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Nice! Re: Mosquitoes, did you use Permethrin?
    Liviní Large ~ Horizontally

Nice trip...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Great video! What is killing all the trees? Not good for hanging but no shortage of firewood.

The fishing looked fantastic. I was surprised there were so many fish on what looked to be a clean bottom lake.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    Nice! Re: Mosquitoes, did you use Permethrin?
    I usually coat my pants and outer layers. Kept the mosquitos just at bay, they were still flying around everyone.

Nice trip...
    it was indeed.

Great video! What is killing all the trees? Not good for hanging but no shortage of firewood.

The fishing looked fantastic. I was surprised there were so many fish on what looked to be a clean bottom lake.
    Wildfires! One bigger one in 2007 I think and a few smaller ones in 2013 & 2015. Happens every so often, just hope your not out there when it does.

The fishing is amazing out there if you like to catch Cutthroat Trout. Its all catch and release unless you catch a Lake Trout.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good job on the video and the trip looked like it was a lot of fun sans the bear and mosquitoes. Is that lake stocked with the trout?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12' 1.1 Winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Yeesss!! I love Yellowstone! I'm heading that way myself this weekend on a motorcycle trip.

Thanks for the assessment of the Bridge Bay campground. Being one of the campgrounds that accepts reservations, I was trying to use pictures from Google and trying to determine if there were enough trees for hanging or not.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WarbonnetMamaJamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest or CCF
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Nice! I'm heading to Yellowstone in a couple weeks but doing touristy stuff. Your trip looked amazing

Hammock
    DH - Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Good job on the video and the trip looked like it was a lot of fun sans the bear and mosquitoes. Is that lake stocked with the trout?
    Cutthroat trout is native to Yellowstone Lake. Lake trout they think was illegally introduced into the lake in the 70s I believe. They only discovered Lake trout were in the lake in the 90s and have since been aggressively removing them from the lake. Rule is, if you catch a lake trout and you are not going to eat it, you have to puncture it in the air bladder and throw it into deep water to kill the fish because they destroy the cutthroat population so much.

Yeesss!! I love Yellowstone! I'm heading that way myself this weekend on a motorcycle trip.
    Campground sites are randomly assigned, which sucks. Try asking to be in the F loop, it is one of the better loops for hangers. Have a fun trip!

Nice! I'm heading to Yellowstone in a couple weeks but doing touristy stuff. Your trip looked amazing
    If I may make one recommendation, try seeing the park before the sun comes up early in the morning or in the late evening. I know it is tough to find the motivation on vacation. The wildlife is so much more active during those times. Also 'The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone' and 'Grand Prismatic' are nice to see when the sun rises. The others like Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs can be seen anytime.

I have been going to Yellowstone every year for the past 20 years, the best moments I have had have been in the early hours discovering the wildlife without 500 other people and cars around ruining the stillness and beauty of nature. I am excited for you to see the Touristy stuff, it is really a unique park.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 12' 1.1 Winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by InfuriatedMax View Post
    Campground sites are randomly assigned, which sucks. Try asking to be in the F loop, it is one of the better loops for hangers. Have a fun trip!
    Thank you! On a MC trip to YNP last year, we stayed in the Grant Village Campground, which has lots of trees, except for the site we were assigned to. The other 2 guys had their tents, but I had to get 'creative' with hanging my hammock. One of the campground hosts even came over to our site to comment on my creativity.

In regards to the bear, you guys did exactly what I would have done. Keep watch all night, then get out of there first thing in the morning. No sense tempting fate with that kind of situation, especially in early June when the animals are still doing their 'spring feeding'.

Agree on the early morning views. There is just nothing else like YNP in the early morning hours.

• + New Posts