Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

UQ Protector? Or not?

Quote on WB site:
    "The Yeti features a dual differential cut 20 Denier High Threadcount DWR ripstop nylon shell(Durable Water Resistence), ..."
    "The Wooki underquilt features a dual differential cut 20 Denier High Threadcount DWR ripstop nylon shell(Durable Water Resistence), ..."

Is it a good idea to get a protector, or not necessary?

Thanks,
    Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Hmmm....that's a tough one. I have a Lynx and it says the same thing. I haven't had any issues with dampness from splash/spray but the fabric sure doesn't feel like it has any kind of coating. The only time it got wet was when a guyline snapped in the middle of a microburst this past spring and I had to run for the car (long story). It was dripping wet but that came from the top down. I let it drip dry, hang in the sun for a few hours then fluffed it in the dryer and it seems good as new.

I've got a protector I use with my other gathered ends but I do it more for a wind break and a bit of extra warmth. I started with the slinylon versio and had condensation issues (mostly operator error) so I traded it for the breathable version. I don't think it has any water-repellent properties to speak of. It's more of a sacrificial layer to get damp and block the splash.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You don't need to use one. But I like to use mine. It simply adds another barrier for the wind, and offers some mechanical protection. I found out how easy it is to rip an underquilt on a thorny branch. Don't want that to ever happen again.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I prefer to use an UQP just to protect my down UQ from the grime/oil of my dogs brushing up against my hammock and give it a measure of snag protection whenever my dog races past with a stick in his mouth.

It does provide a nice amount of wind protection, too, when cold weather camping. I have the multi-cam version from 2QZQ.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Various UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    All good points...added warmth, moisture and wind protection. I'd like to get one as added protection for my investment. A good UQ isn't cheap in my world!
    Who offers one?
    I was thinking of getting a small hammock from Hummingbird and clipping it to the suspension.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by nuknees View Post
    All good points...added warmth, moisture and wind protection. I'd like to get one as added protection for my investment. A good UQ isn't cheap in my world!
    Who offers one?
    I was thinking of getting a small hammock from Hummingbird and clipping it to the suspension.
    2QZQ makes great UQP at a reasonable price:
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    2QZQ makes great UQP at a reasonable price:
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    Yes, indeed. They are also fairly easy to DIY...

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Wow, Kitsapcowboy, you always amaze me! I tapped on your UQP picture above and it took me to the post showing the UQP in detail! I have no idea how you made your pic a link, but that's cool. Cooler yet is the UQP you made! Seeing it ON the hammock is REALLY impressive! It looks awesome! Now I want to DIY a UQP just for the FASHION potential! I could change my campsite's look to fit any mood, just by whipping out a different UQP! Do you have a post that gives step by step detailed instructions for those of us who don't have much experience yet in thread injection?

(Man that graphic looks great wrapped around a hammock!)

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Wow, Kitsapcowboy, you always amaze me! I tapped on your UQP picture above and it took me to the post showing the UQP in detail! I have no idea how you made your pic a link, but that's cool. Cooler yet is the UQP you made! Seeing it ON the hammock is REALLY impressive! It looks awesome! Now I want to DIY a UQP just for the FASHION potential! I could change my campsite's look to fit any mood, just by whipping out a different UQP! Do you have a post that gives step by step detailed instructions for those of us who don't have much experience yet in thread injection?

(Man that graphic looks great wrapped around a hammock!)
    Thank you for your kind words. The UQP build is actually much easier than you think, and all you really need are 3 yards of a calendared breathable fabric, a 25-foot hank of 3/32" shock cord, some ribbon and a few cord locks. Post #13 in my DIY thread has detail photos of how I installed the Knotty Mod sections in the roll hems, and the rest of the thread has all the dimensions and information you need to build a similar item. Hope you have fun making yours.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I bought one new for $35 way back when and it just sat for years. I used it one night so I finally sold it and got most of my money back.

It's just personal preference. But I never get splatter from rain, I clear any sharp sticks/saplings under my hammock, and never worry about wind penetrating or "stealing" the heat. It just never happened over the past 5 years. I did get a ton of condensation inside the (breathable) UQP the one night I used it, so that really sealed the deal for me. Just one more thing to deal with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast