Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Idea for dealing with fat trees

I haven't tried this yet but it just dawned on me today... Wondering if anyone else has tried this before. There are some large Oaks in my area which are too big for my 6-foot tree straps and MSH. What if I attached the loose ends of my tree strap to the fixed eye of my whoopie via a sheet bend. Then thread the whoopie through the strap eye to complete the journey around the tree before it heads toward the hammock. The adjustable loop will connect to my continuous loop via dutch biner. Voilą!

The only question is, will a sheet bend hold? Perhaps it would, with a half hitch for redundancy. I will try next time I have a chance...

Sawg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Maybe I'm missing something.... but why not larks head your whoopie sling to one end loop of your strap, then wrap the whole thing around the tree, and out through the other endloop towards the hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sawg View Post
    I haven't tried this yet but it just dawned on me today... Wondering if anyone else has tried this before. There are some large Oaks in my area which are too big for my 6-foot tree straps and MSH. What if I attached the loose ends of my tree strap to the fixed eye of my whoopie via a sheet bend. Then thread the whoopie through the strap eye to complete the journey around the tree before it heads toward the hammock. The adjustable loop will connect to my continuous loop via dutch biner. Voilą!

The only question is, will a sheet bend hold? Perhaps it would, with a half hitch for redundancy. I will try next time I have a chance...

Sawg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    That will work but I think you'd be better off making up some amsteel dog bones to act as strap extenders that way you won't have to worry about interfering with the movement of the adjustable loop on the whoopie sling.

Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something.... but why not larks head your whoopie sling to one end loop of your strap, then wrap the whole thing around the tree, and out through the other endloop towards the hammock?
    Not all straps have 2 sewn loops
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    That will work but I think you'd be better off making up some amsteel dog bones to act as strap extenders that way you won't have to worry about interfering with the movement of the adjustable loop on the whoopie sling.

Not all straps have 2 sewn loops
    My understanding is "straps" utilize one loop and a tail while, tree "huggers" utilize two loops.
    Even though the both serve the same purpose.
    The straps(single loop end) tend to offer more variety in hardware i.e. Toggles, Spiders, Beetles etc.
    But, I would imagine one could effectively use huggers with the same hardware in a similar fashion.
    My personal preferred method is tree huggers and soft shackles secured at the hugger loop to the adjustable loop of my whoopie.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackerfiend View Post
    My understanding is "straps" utilize one loop and a tail while, tree "huggers" utilize two loops.
    Even though the both serve the same purpose.
    The straps(single loop end) tend to offer more variety in hardware i.e. Toggles, Spiders, Beetles etc.
    But, I would imagine one could effectively use huggers with the same hardware in a similar fashion.
    My personal preferred method is tree huggers and soft shackles secured at the hugger loop to the adjustable loop of my whoopie.

Well, back in the day we just called them all straps. Lol
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A zeppelin bend will hold. And you might want to try a slipped zeppelin bend. Zeppelin bend does not slip and does not jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    If what I learned in jr high is still accurate,a 23 inch diameter tree has a circumference of 72.22 inches.Trees with that diameter are fairly common.Maybe you should consider a 12 foot dyneema strap? I forget what mine weigh but they are significantly lighter than the older technology.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Anyone have a photo of a dog bone in use? I get the concept, and an idea of the shape but hadn't seen one. It's fairly common occurrence for me to run short on my 10' straps. I use a MSH and whoopies.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Well, back in the day we just called them all straps. Lol
    Lol! Yeah believe me, I'm with you.
    I refer to mine as straps, too.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    Anyone have a photo of a dog bone in use? I get the concept, and an idea of the shape but hadn't seen one. It's fairly common occurrence for me to run short on my 10' straps. I use a MSH and whoopies.
    I don't have a pict of a dogbone strap extension but on one trip my straps were just a little too short and I had to MacGyver it. Not the best but it held. A dog bone could have been used the same way. hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast