Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter_Ken View Post
    I have been using a no sew exterior pole mod on my WB superfly for several years and it has been great, but I am in the middle of constructing a 12x12 winter tarp from 1.1 silpoly XL and reconsidering my devotion to the exterior pole mod.

a tarp of this size is not backpacking gear, but primarily used for Boy Scout campouts, so weight is not a huge factor.

What is the collective wisdom on an interior pole mod vs exterior pole mod?

This is my current setup for my superflyAttachment 151831
    I just received a UGQ tarp to try out for my customers- but haven't touched it yet.

So maybe I'm confused on your question.

Why do you need to pick one or the other?
    External pole mod needs the mid panel tie-outs... but if you aren't using them for that feature (or tying them out to a tree sans pole) then they are just there... provided you build it that way.

Internal pole mods- as mentioned... the 1/2" beastie D matches perfectly as a grommet. But I used a small loop of 1/8" shock cord girth hitched to the pole tip for years...
    So (without giving away one idea of mine) there isn't anything you need to DO to make a tarp ready for an internal pole mod. You're basically just shoving a pole under the tarp and either wedging it in or using the method I saw on the UGQ site where you loop a shock cord at the peak of the hoop and run it out to the end. http://ugqoutdoor.com/Polemods/default-WD.html

So... if you are making a tarp- it's technically ready for an internal pole mod as is. Beastie D's let you skip the shock cord. I think a few people build a pocket in but I don't see why you'd need that.
    Provided you add the midpanel tie-outs- you're good to use the same tarp for external pole mod.

So one tarp does it all...
    No mods.
    Tie-outs without poles.
    Add a short pole for external mod.
    Add one, two or even three poles for internal pole mods.
    So yar- one tarp is good for backpacking or base camping depending on how many poles you want to add to the base model.

There is no formula for the internal pole other than to make sure that the internal pole is longer than your tarp. Your exact method may effect this... and I suppose the downside to the beastie D connection is you would want to "nail it" better. But more or less you will go by the stock pole sizes anyway. Likely you'll come up a hair under 12' in width I would think after seams? (8) 18" poles comes out to 12' on the nose... so you want to slap in something else in there if you have exactly 12' of tarp... but even a few inches is often enough IMO. I try to get it in just enough to keep the shape under tension but not so tight that I have to wedge it in there hard.

I'd probably do 26" poles- one with no ferrules in the center- and two 26" with ferrules plus a 13" with ferrule to finish each side. You will then have 156" of pole and it would be easy to trim equally from there. (13,26,26- 26nf- 26,26,13)
    150-156" sounds about right to me for 144".

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    OK, this makes a lot of sense and I think that I was heading this direction. Just taking a lot longer to get there. Beastie Ds along with a pack hook are almost ready to be attached and the panel pulls will be added after Boy Scout summer camp next week. Yes, I am working on a short deadline.

a couple of more questions:

Rather than shock cords (one more thing to add), would it be simpler to move my CRL inside the tarp and add a couple of short zingit continuous loops prussicked to the CRL to keep the poles in place?

I was thinking about using one of the arches from Quest Outfitters, but I don't recall seeing any threads on them. Makes more of an angle and less of the round tunnel fell from the looks of it. http://www.questoutfitters.com/Tent_Poles_344.htm

the more I hang out in the forum the more I learn. new word for the day is "ferrules." Needed to look that one up.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    OK, this makes a lot of sense and I think that I was heading this direction. Just taking a lot longer to get there. Beastie Ds along with a pack hook are almost ready to be attached and the panel pulls will be added after Boy Scout summer camp next week. Yes, I am working on a short deadline.

Rather than shock cords (one more thing to add), would it be simpler to move my CRL inside the tarp and add a couple of short zingit continuous loops prussicked to the CRL to keep the poles in place?

I was thinking about using one of the arches from Quest Outfitters, but I don't recall seeing any threads on them. Makes more of an angle and less of the round tunnel fell from the looks of it. http://www.questoutfitters.com/Tent_Poles_344.htm

the more I hang out in the forum the more I learn. new word for the day is "ferrules." Needed to look that one up.
    I think your idea about using a Prusick on the ridge line is perfect. I'll be doing that soon. I also like the angle pieces a lot, but it would add a lot of bulk when folded up. Of course, two long poles already add quite a bit if packing This video shows some advantages of having an angle piece in the mix, though he uses an outside mod with long poles (which I don't really like).

But for the grace of God, there, I go...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge

Agree on the prussic- that's a method I use in the shop to play around with fly/tarp designs.

Not agreeing much on the arches though to be blunt.

So the point of the pole mods is to add shape to a flat tarp.

- Pitch one is a basic A-frame.

- Pitch two is an exterior pole mod which creates a half hexagon type shape in cross section. (a gambrel roof).

- Pitch three is an interior pole mod which creates a dome or half circle shape.

So if you put one angle at the center... you basically just built an A-frame shape.
    If you use two (or three) angles... you're really only recreating a hexagon/exterior pole mod.

I know it's just car camping- but there isn't much point in doing the full interior pole mod if you aren't getting the full half circle shapes.

If there is a certain shape you're going for (like perhaps a half hoop to the RL and a front porch in the center) then there may be uses for angles... so don't let me totally turn you off.

But on the flipside if you're looking up "ferrules" might not be the time to mess with angles yet

But if you

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gunz View Post
    This video shows some advantages of having an angle piece in the mix, though he uses an outside mod with long poles (which I don't really like).
    I actually didn't mind that at all, since he's not having to really do anything to the tarp to make it work
    just stringing some poles thru existing loops

Images
    I have been using a no sew exterior pole mod on my WB superfly for several years and it has been great, but I am in the middle of constructing a 12x12 winter tarp from 1.1 silpoly XL and reconsidering my devotion to the exterior pole mod.

a tarp of this size is not backpacking gear, but primarily used for Boy Scout campouts, so weight is not a huge factor.

What is the collective wisdom on an interior pole mod vs exterior pole mod?

This is my current setup for my superflyAttachment 151831
    Hi Ken, How much snow are you thinking this new tarp will need to deal with?
    I have found in Colorado tarp pullouts/external pole mods useless(equipment damaging) in winter when you expect more than a light dusting of snow.

8431045774_6ee57c811a_b.jpg

In my backyard winter lab I've found Internal poles with a steep pitch to work the best.

8167627837_299cb5c802_b.jpg

8167658146_5790161be8_b.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    .....Why do you need to pick one or the other?......

I agree with Just Bill.. I have the 2QZQ under tarp mod and the standard WB side pullouts. Though I am using it for a MamaJamba, My poles can be sectioned so that I use one long pole for under tarp, or split the poles up and go outside, over the ridge line with one or two poles. With a single pole it is absolutely spacious inside, but if I wanted the option to go lighter and use just a single pole head or foot. Seems to work fine.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY 11' Airwave w top cover
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 1.1 XL
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Hooks
    Love the hot tent hammock.

can you provide some background on how you made the vent and make of stove.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I have been using a no sew exterior pole mod...
    Hi Scouter_Ken.....when you say "no sew" do you mean you had small pads that you sewed loops to, then attached pads to tarp with silicone? I've seen that here before and wondered how you did yours. Thanks.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12