Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I have a lot of hammocks in quite a few fabrics including hexon 1.0, 1.6, W1.6 and 2.4 among others. We're in the Dutchware forum so I'll limit my comments to hexon fabrics (well, except the Mayan).

I'm about 150lbs. I have back, shoulder and knee issues and tend to be hypersenitive to anything that could affect those areas.

I can't sleep in 1.0 for more than 2 consecutive nights due to shoulder squeeze and too much give for my lower back. I find 1.0 wraps around my shoulders a LOT more then the firmer fabrics. For the first night or two I'm ok with it. Without fail, I wake up on the 3rd morning with a burning sensation in my lower back and wishing for one of those tiny Japanese girls to walk across my upper shoulders a few times. This stuff is so light that I wish it could work better for me. Sigh.

The mid range fabrics have proven to be the happy medium for me. Sooo much better on the shoulders and just enough firmness and give to fill and support the small of my back. Nirvana achieved.

While the difference from 1.0 to 1.6 is quite dramatic, the same can't be said from 1.6 to 2.4 - for me. I'm quite certain that has everything to do with the fact that I'm simply not heavy enough to even mildly stress this super strong fabric. Though I can sleep comfortably in it, it just doesn't provide any greater benefit for me over 1.6 so there is zero point in carrying it. That said, my wife has severe back and hip issuses and would carry her beloved hexon 2.4 to the ends of the earth, regardless of the weight. She now has 3, the lastest a chameleon.

Oh, the W1.6. At only 5'4" I find that the extra width is simply wasted on me. And yes I've tried using more sag. I'm sure my mangled knees are a factor here. Just for reference, we also have a Mayan matrimonial that's about 13' and (as I recall) stretches to about 7-8' wide. I can lay at 90*, but it's still not comfortable because of my knees.

I'm convinced that the only way for anyone to KNOW if a particular fabric is going to work for them is to spend at least 3 consecutive nights in it, better yet a week. Jumping in and out from one to another to another can only serve to give initial impressions that could prove to be wrong in the long run. Perhaps if you're a perfect physical specimen, then initial impressions are close enough.

EDIT: Due to my shoulders I can't sleep on my sides.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    I have a lot of hammocks in quite a few fabrics including hexon 1.0, 1.6, W1.6 and 2.4 among others. We're in the Dutchware forum so I'll limit my comments to hexon fabrics (well, except the Mayan).

I'm about 150lbs. I have back, shoulder and knee issues and tend to be hypersenitive to anything that could affect those areas.

I can't sleep in 1.0 for more than 2 consecutive nights due to shoulder squeeze and too much give for my lower back. I find 1.0 wraps around my shoulders a LOT more then the firmer fabrics. For the first night or two I'm ok with it. Without fail, I wake up on the 3rd morning with a burning sensation in my lower back and wishing for one of those tiny Japanese girls to walk across my upper shoulders a few times. This stuff is so light that I wish it could work better for me. Sigh.

The mid range fabrics have proven to be the happy medium for me. Sooo much better on the shoulders and just enough firmness and give to fill and support the small of my back. Nirvana achieved.

While the difference from 1.0 to 1.6 is quite dramatic, the same can't be said from 1.6 to 2.4 - for me. I'm quite certain that has everything to do with the fact that I'm simply not heavy enough to even mildly stress this super strong fabric. Though I can sleep comfortably in it, it just doesn't provide any greater benefit for me over 1.6 so there is zero point in carrying it. That said, my wife has severe back and hip issuses and would carry her beloved hexon 2.4 to the ends of the earth, regardless of the weight. She now has 3, the lastest a chameleon.

Oh, the W1.6. At only 5'4" I find that the extra width is simply wasted on me. And yes I've tried using more sag. I'm sure my mangled knees are a factor here. Just for reference, we also have a Mayan matrimonial that's about 13' and (as I recall) stretches to about 7-8' wide. I can lay at 90*, but it's still not comfortable because of my knees.

I'm convinced that the only way for anyone to KNOW if a particular fabric is going to work for them is to spend at least 3 consecutive nights in it, better yet a week. Jumping in and out from one to another to another can only serve to give initial impressions that could prove to be wrong in the long run. Perhaps if you're a perfect physical specimen, then initial impressions are close enough.

EDIT: Due to my shoulders I can't sleep on my sides.
    This is awesome feedback. Thank you!
    SBO YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFB5MZ1uYOsGgg7kVZazp1g

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    I am 300lbs and found the 1.6 to be too stretchy for me. I have a 2.4 coming. I am in Columbus as well if you all wanted to get together some time to try them out side by side.

Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ/EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post
    I am 300lbs and found the 1.6 to be too stretchy for me. I have a 2.4 coming. I am in Columbus as well if you all wanted to get together some time to try them out side by side.
    I'll be in Vegas/Idaho backpacking 7-17th. I'd like to see a 1.6 at some point, I have a 2.4 atm.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Can anyone comment on the Hexon 1.6 vs Argon 1.6? Love my A1.6 but thinking about making a new one out of H1.6. Or just getting a Chameleon.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    ARGON has a softer feel to it. It also has less ripstop. I love the feel of it but all the ripstop in Hexon gives a higher weight rating and a firmer feel to the hammock. At 220 I don't need the higher weight rating and I use ARGON for the feel. 50 more pounds and I think there would be too much stretch.

Dutch
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    ARGON has a softer feel to it. It also has less ripstop. I love the feel of it but all the ripstop in Hexon gives a higher weight rating and a firmer feel to the hammock. At 220 I don't need the higher weight rating and I use ARGON for the feel. 50 more pounds and I think there would be too much stretch.

Dutch
    Perfect, thanks!

I'm 225 so that makes a lot of sense to me, it really does feel perfect.

My current go-to hammock is a couple years old so I've got the itch to make a new one.

I really don't need another hammock but as I'm sure you know 'need' has nothing to do with it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Awesome info. Thank you! Makes my choice easier now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Really glad somebody made a video on this matter. I feel like this is a question that gets thrown around here a lot. Awesome job guys!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by schillke View Post
    The Hexon 1.0 is much better for side sleeping for me. I think because I sink more into the fabric it helps with the side lay. Has anyone else experienced that? It is a significant improvement for me.
    I haven't gotten a chance to sleep in my Chameleon yet...hopefully this weekend...but my prior go-to hammock was a netless hexon 1.0, and my Chameleon was inadvertently a 1.6. ...I have exactly the opposite. I could not sleep comfortably on my side in the 1.0, and I can lay comfortably on my side in the 1.6 while lounging. Now that said, I'm about 60 lbs heavier than you guys, so I think the sag worked against me in that position.

I dearly love my 1.0 netless, and the fabric feel is much nicer, but I think I may wind up sleeping better in the 1.6...we'll see. Now, all that said, it's a different hammock altogether...netless v. chameleon, so nowhere near apples and apples comparison.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast