Dutchware double layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge & HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Newbie Question about length

Sorry for the question on length, I know it's a common topic but usually discussion revolves around the 9-12 foot range from what I could find.

I'm brand new to hammock camping, and stayed 2 nights in a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter comfortably. (About 10.6 feet I believe)

In my enthusiasm to try to get my friends to try a hammock next time I take them along, I went looking for a cheap hammock with good reviews on Amazon. I found this Wonenice hammock for $22 with good reviews https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQ...q-L&ref=plSrch

Being new, I had never considered all the different size options.

Later, I read a site that says you want a hammock at least 4 foot taller than you. This one I purchased is 8.5 feet. So, did I waste my money? (Even though it's cheap) it feels alright to lounge around in the yard with but a full diagonal lay probably isn't likely.

So I guess my question is, does anyone else sleep in smaller ones like this? Is a full diagonal lay necessary for comfort or can things like a pillow under the knee make up for it? Any other words of wisdom? Or am I just better starting over and letting this one collect dust?

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    8.5 feet is a little small IMO. I've slept in one that size before but I'm only 5'6". Generally you want to look for at least 10 feet to have a good chance at converting someone.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    It sounds as if a hammock that is 4' longer than one's height works without discomfort. However, ultimate comfort is only achieved with hammock lengths 5' longer than a person's height.

Percentage of ratios make more sense to me. Being 5' 11'' (rounded to 6'). The hammock length should be no shorter than 166% of your height, but greatest comfort is afforded with hammocks 183% of your height.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by melbolt65 View Post
    So I guess my question is, does anyone else sleep in smaller ones like this? Is a full diagonal lay necessary for comfort or can things like a pillow under the knee make up for it? Any other words of wisdom? Or am I just better starting over and letting this one collect dust?
    Welcome to HF!

Being 6' tall, I can't imagine sleeping comfortably in a 8.5' hammock. There are certainly those here who use ENO hammocks which are 9.5'. That's what I started in and, while I was able to sleep in it more comfortably than sleeping on the ground, it wasn't easy to get or stay comfortable. I eventually settled on 11' hammocks which are ideal for my height.

If it were me, I'd return the hammock to Amazon or donate it to a Boy or Girl Scout Troop.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Dutchware double layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge & HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks everyone!

I am 5'5" and got myself a Hummingbird Single at 8'8" in length. It is fabu for lounging in during the day (which will be it's task from now on, 8 oz. total for hammock & suspension in my pocket or daypack for day hikes). However. I just slept in it last night at camp. With the UQ and top quilt, pillow and me, I just couldn't seem to get comfortable. Could have hung it better (although it was fine during the day, by night everything including me was sliding into the center of the hammock. Lacking any ridgeline, shelf, storage doesn't work for me. I lost my pillow (slipped in between the hammock & UQ, the quilt spilled out onto the ground, I even found the footbox up near my head once from all my flipping around trying to get comfortable (no alcohol was involved). I'm expecting an 11' hammock sometime this week and I'm looking forward to some relief. I don't have any experience sleeping all night in a hammock and I know one has to acclimate but I'm exhausted today from too little sleep last night.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    I worked out that twice your height is great.

Im 5'6" and an 11 footer is majic for me

Related Question:
    Does the "asymmetric" feature of the Hennessey hammocks change the "twice your height" rule for optimum comfort?
    (My UltraLite Backpacker A-sym is about 8 feet long, and I'm also 5'6". Would an 11' one be more comfortable?)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by carls View Post
    Related Question:
    Does the "asymmetric" feature of the Hennessey hammocks change the "twice your height" rule for optimum comfort?
    (My UltraLite Backpacker A-sym is about 8 feet long, and I'm also 5'6". Would an 11' one be more comfortable?)
    Hi Carl welcome to the forum. There is no twice your height rule.
    If there was a magic number many settle on no matter what their height is 11'x60".
    A few like shorter and or narrower and a few like longer and or wider.
    hth

I am 5'8" 190# and my most comfortable camping hammockers are the 11x60's ( 2 Dreams, WB-XLC, WL-Snipe)

Hammock
    ENO Sub 7
    Tarp
    2Go Systems 120
    Suspension
    ENO Helios

Newbie Question about length

I am 5'-9" weighing 195lbs. I have an ENO Sub7 hammock that measures 105" long. However, I have a ridgeline that runs from knot to knot and only measures 90". This allows the hammock to sag, which allows me to lay at a relative angle. I find it quite comfortable. I would not recommend this for anyone taller than me though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast