Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Wha'z Dis...?

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    (link didn't work for me; it said page not found) ???
    Might be because my browser auto-signs me in...
    Try just searching "1 Pc Food Grade Silicone Bag Ties Cable Management Zip Tie Twist All-purpose Multi-use Clip Bread 21cm"
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I think these are kind of rigid and may not be soft fabric friendly. i thought of this thread when I saw them so here they are..

70 lb test, 8" long and 30 of them for $3.95

https://www.sciplus.com/p/GARDNER-BE...LE-WRAPS_59642
    Last edited by XJ35S; 07-03-2017 at 09:47.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Woo! American Science & Surplus! crazy place -- have spent way too much time perusing their catalogs in my life....

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I just got a luminoodle for my birthday and noticed these in there! Haven't played with them yet. What were you thinking of using them for in your hammock setup, exactly? Guess I'm not sure what you mean by clinching up your hammock when you want it out of the way

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    I just got a luminoodle for my birthday and noticed these in there! Haven't played with them yet. What were you thinking of using them for in your hammock setup, exactly? Guess I'm not sure what you mean by clinching up your hammock when you want it out of the way
    Looping 4-5 around the hammock body gathered up on the ridgeline to keep it out of the way and keep it from flapping when the wind [or rain] gets up.... doing the same thing as a snakeskin or sleeve. These are long enough and soft enough that you can just leave your quilts on.

Last edited by Flash Grundelore; 07-06-2017 at 17:07.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Looping 4-5 around the hammock body gathered up on the ridgeline to keep it out of the way and keep it from flapping when the wind [or rain] gets up.... doing the same thing as a snakeskin or sleeve. These are long enough and soft enough that you can just leave your quilts on.
    Makes sense, thanks!

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Figured I might as well "tie off" this thread.

I have gotten all the "noodle ties" that I ordered... both the black and orange ones from BatteryJunction, and the green ones that came outta China. [The blue one is the original that came with my "luminoodle" light set].
    Thanks to everybody who chimed in with suggestions on sources.

BatteryJunction advertises theirs as coming in "Assorted Colors", but that seems to mean only black and orange, just like shown on the site. [$2.60 +S&H for six... I got the two sets for around $7.50] These are flat on one side, ridged on the other like a standard zip-tie. The grip-beads are also not as aggressive as those on the Chinese noodles.
    All the new ones have only the single hole rather than one large/one small like the light string set had, and all are made of soft silicone rubber. The Chinese are sold as "food grade silicone" and are advertised as bread bag ties, they seem to me to be identical materials. All are just over 8" long laid out, and should give a max circumference of about 6".
    I gave each version a vigorous stretch test, and none of them were any different in give or spring back.

Personally, I like the green Chinese ones the best [choice of any of 6 colors... rainbow minus yellow/ US $0.27@ shipped/ 3 weeks]. The slightly squared edges on the grip-beads seem as though they will hold just a bit better.
    The orange are OK, but the black look like they are begging to get lost.

Messing around with them the last few days, I realized that they work great for hitching up just the bug netting to hold it outta the way while you are setting up. A single one just makes it around my Chameleon, bugnet and summer TQ to hoist the whole enchilada up out of the wind. Haven't added the summer UQ I just finished in... might take two daisy-chained.

Happy with them all. Chump change well spent for the uses I see finding for them. Easy, and light to toss in the peak shelf so they are handy. Since I don't need as many as I now have, I will probably pass out a few of the black and orange at the Harold Hang next weekend [got ya covered Iuri].
    As long as you don't mind the wait, I would definitely get the ones out of China... for what they are, the $0.27 is just a more appropriate price point.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback on your choices!

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nite Ize sells loopable gear ties. They are probably thicker than what you were looking for, but also more available in outdoor stores and such.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    Nite Ize sells loopable gear ties. They are probably thicker than what you were looking for, but also more available in outdoor stores and such.
    Yeah. I saw clones of those the other day at my Fell-Off-A-Truck Stop. $9 for 24 in assorted sizes.
    They seem to be [copper?] wire with a vinyl coating [pretty much heavy gauge wire with end caps], and I wonder about fatigue. Also, much heavier.

I did wonder if you could use one of the longer ones just in a tight loop over your ridgeline as a spreader for bugnets... those end caps would make it less likely to poke through.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast