LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Due to it having more traffic than most LA highways? Or just a lot of generally shady people there?
    More just the amount of people. A lot of their "character" really shines through by the amount of beer cans/bottles I see through the trails.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bradym77 View Post
    More just the amount of people. A lot of their "character" really shines through by the amount of beer cans/bottles I see through the trails.
    That makes me feel a little better...I figured that was only an Indiana thing. Not much in Michigan, but I guess they want their 10 cents back!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I don't want to hassle with a rope (I don't even have any lol), so I will just plan on leaving the packs at the bottom and just exploring up top then doubling back. I was just concerned about leaving lots of $$ worth of equipment down at the base. I would hate for it to walk away.
    Don't blame you at all. It's one of those things that you just would love to see your first time there, but in all honesty, it's really one of those day trip kinda places. Either way, I hope you guys have a great time.

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Just got back home. Wanted to give a quick recap in case anyone is planning on going.

First off. The suspension bridge over red river is closed and will be the rest of the month at least. I didn't find out until I went to the visitor center to get my pass. It's a good thing I asked lol.

We did Indian staircase. We hid our packs at the bottom of the approach trail (the spillway or whatever where you have to climb up the rocks and roots). It was pretty busy. We probably saw 20 or so people. Nobody messed with our stuff. It was a good call leaving the packs. While I probably could have done it with my pack, it was still fairly challenging without it.

Next up was cloudsplitter. *#%*# that place lol. We made it to the top but I don't plan on going back any time soon. The rope was there but I didn't trust it to hold my 300 lb self. We chose to scramble up the right side instead. That was downright scary lol. I guess it was easier for some though as there were probably 30 people up top. Most college aged kids. We passed on going through the "squeeze" part.

The 2nd day was Grays arch. Very cool. Again we left our packs down at the bottom and nobody messed with anything. We stayed up at Hanson's point, which is definitely worth the dozens of scratches on my arms and legs going through the overgrown trail.

We stopped at Miguel's for pizza on the way home. Thumbs up.

Overall we did about 20 miles. It was definitely worth the 4 hour drive from Columbus. I would recommend it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Glad you enjoyed your trip. That pizza is pretty good too.

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post
    Just got back home. Wanted to give a quick recap in case anyone is planning on going.

First off. The suspension bridge over red river is closed and will be the rest of the month at least. I didn't find out until I went to the visitor center to get my pass. It's a good thing I asked lol.

We did Indian staircase. We hid our packs at the bottom of the approach trail (the spillway or whatever where you have to climb up the rocks and roots). It was pretty busy. We probably saw 20 or so people. Nobody messed with our stuff. It was a good call leaving the packs. While I probably could have done it with my pack, it was still fairly challenging without it.

Next up was cloudsplitter. *#%*# that place lol. We made it to the top but I don't plan on going back any time soon. The rope was there but I didn't trust it to hold my 300 lb self. We chose to scramble up the right side instead. That was downright scary lol. I guess it was easier for some though as there were probably 30 people up top. Most college aged kids. We passed on going through the "squeeze" part.

The 2nd day was Grays arch. Very cool. Again we left our packs down at the bottom and nobody messed with anything. We stayed up at Hanson's point, which is definitely worth the dozens of scratches on my arms and legs going through the overgrown trail.

We stopped at Miguel's for pizza on the way home. Thumbs up.

Overall we did about 20 miles. It was definitely worth the 4 hour drive from Columbus. I would recommend it.
    Sorry, I knew I forgot something, I know the guy repairing the suspension foot bridge and should have given you a heads up! Especially since you were taking the Sheltowee up to Hanson's pt. My bad!

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by KYHiker View Post
    Sorry, I knew I forgot something, I know the guy repairing the suspension foot bridge and should have given you a heads up! Especially since you were taking the Sheltowee up to Hanson's pt. My bad!
    Lol it's ok. We still got to see everything I planned on, just had to be a bit more creative with the itinerary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12