Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles

KY - RRG First timer questions

Hey all. My wife and I are heading down to Red River Gorge this weekend for 2 nights. I have never been there before so I am looking for some pointers or tips.

The current plan is:
    Sunday - Park at Bison's way TH. Do Indian staircase and cloud splitter. Stay at Hanson's point.
    Monday - ?? I would like to check out Gray's arch but not sure what else to do or where to stay that night. I am trying to keep the miles under 10 or so each day.
    Tuesday - hike back to car.

We will have our full packs with us. How hard is it to do indian staircase with a pack on, or is it safe to just leave the packs at the bottom? Does the trail come back down later down the ridge, or do you have to backtrack back to the main trail?

Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would recommend checking your forecast as tropical storm Cindy is supposed to be in that area Friday into Saturday.

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I would recommend checking your forecast as tropical storm Cindy is supposed to be in that area Friday into Saturday.
    Right now it looks good. Rain Fri and Sat. Chance of rain Sun night. Mon and tues good.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5 Hexon 1.6 w/ net
    Tarp
    Dutchware Xenon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    We just went in April and did about the same trip as you. We we're catching some rain when we got to Indian Staircase, so left the packs at the bottom and fumbled around up there for about an hour. I know I could have got up it with my pack, however I know that the girlfriend would never be able to do the same. If you are dedicated to getting over it, bring about 100' of rope, have one head up and tie off on trees along the way. I've seen other people do it. It can be done. Be warned, it's not for the faint at heart with a pack.

there is a trail that will bring you back around to BW.
    https://toredrivergorge.com/top-10-d...ian-staircase/

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetfoot310 View Post
    We just went in April and did about the same trip as you. We we're catching some rain when we got to Indian Staircase, so left the packs at the bottom and fumbled around up there for about an hour. I know I could have got up it with my pack, however I know that the girlfriend would never be able to do the same. If you are dedicated to getting over it, bring about 100' of rope, have one head up and tie off on trees along the way. I've seen other people do it. It can be done. Be warned, it's not for the faint at heart with a pack.

there is a trail that will bring you back around to BW.
    https://toredrivergorge.com/top-10-d...ian-staircase/
    Thanks for the info. I don't want to hassle with a rope (I don't even have any lol), so I will just plan on leaving the packs at the bottom and just exploring up top then doubling back. I was just concerned about leaving lots of $$ worth of equipment down at the base. I would hate for it to walk away.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I don't want to hassle with a rope (I don't even have any lol), so I will just plan on leaving the packs at the bottom and just exploring up top then doubling back. I was just concerned about leaving lots of $$ worth of equipment down at the base. I would hate for it to walk away.
    Most places in KY I hike I wouldn't worry about setting my pack aside to go exploring. RRG though I wouldn't let it out of my sight.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bradym77 View Post
    Most places in KY I hike I wouldn't worry about setting my pack aside to go exploring. RRG though I wouldn't let it out of my sight.
    Due to it having more traffic than most LA highways? Or just a lot of generally shady people there?

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    I would never suggest anyone take a large loaded pack up Indian Staircase, wet or dry. It will be difficult enough getting to the base of it due to all the water washing down what was a footpath. Basically nothing left but roots and rock and when wet, tricky. Usually there is a section of rope tied off at the more difficult portion for assistance there, and sometimes there is one at Cloud Splitter as well. At most times I would not suggest a full pack at Cloud Splitter either. You will have to drop it to explore the cave in the 'split' of the rock anyway. Its been many years but you used to be able to hang up there, I doubt there is enough tree to do so anymore.
    No worries with your pack, just hang it on a tree with your bear bag rope to keep it out of sight and out of others way. You should stay in eye shot of it from the top, but on a Sunday or Monday it shouldn't be overly busy, good choice of days IMHO. Enjoy the weather, I hope the rocks aren't too wet!

Images
    If you haven't seen this already.....

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    24000+ views...they can remove the "hidden" part