Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps

Question Dedicated bug net ridgeline?

Hey all,

I got a Yukon Outfitters bug net (http:// http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Outfitte...dp/B00PWVUK84/) while I was waiting for one from Dream Hammock, and I've ended up feeling claustrophobic in the Dream Hammock sock-style one. The Yukon bug net has hooks on the top to hold it onto an external ridgeline rather than it resting on the structural ridgeline inside the bug net, so I am thinking I need to set up a secondary ridgeline for the bug net. Has anyone here done something like this?

I'm guessing I will either need an entirely new ridgeline, independent of the hammock, like a tarp style ridgeline, or something attached to the hammock suspension on either side, maybe with paracord in the mix somewhere so it won't change the hang angle?

This guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS4_HTKdNUc has a full line of shockcord, but I'm not sure that's ideal.

Really I'd like a hammock with an integrated bug net, but I have to save for it so for now this is my situation. Would love some ways to make this semi-straightforward!

Thanks fellow hammock campers!

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    It looks like the Yukon has openings on the ends, so why not just run your ridge line through those openings and forget about a second line? You could remove the hooks from the net if you wanted to save the weight. At that point, it's basically a Fronkey with a stuff pocket.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    It looks like the Yukon has openings on the ends, so why not just run your ridge line through those openings and forget about a second line? You could remove the hooks from the net if you wanted to save the weight. At that point, it's basically a Fronkey with a stuff pocket.
    It hangs a little low when I do that, and I'm trying to give myself more space than I have with the sock so I don't wake up and panic, fall out of the hammock, get tangled up, scare away all the wildlife, etc etc. :P Hence, looking to lift the bug net a little higher up than the structural ridgeline. But maybe I need to get over myself? I tried to sleep with the Dream Hammock sock last time and I had to take it off part way through the night because I felt too closed in.

Hammock
    DIY 12' MTN 1.3 netless
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    How high is your hammock ridgeline? I felt confined when I was using the ENO single nest, but not when I made my own hammock.

The ENO is a 9.5' hammock which puts the ridgeline pretty low (hit it with my head while sitting). My 11' hammock has a much higher ridgeline and feels less confined with bug net installed.

Hammock
    DIY 12' MTN 1.3 netless
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Come to think of it, there's no reason you can't put longer loops on the ends of your hammock to move the ridgeline higher. You'll need a longer ridgeline, and some way to keep it at the top of the loops rather than butted up against the gathered ends, but should be fairly straightforward to figure out.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For that kind of bug net I would just use a length of shock cord. It would give a bit and not affect the hang angles on your suspension like paracord would, would way a good deal less and have some give for when you're getting in and out of the net. 2 mitten hooks and a cord lock and you could make something that's adjustable in length and easy to put up or take down.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by fugalster View Post
    How high is your hammock ridgeline? I felt confined when I was using the ENO single nest, but not when I made my own hammock.

The ENO is a 9.5' hammock which puts the ridgeline pretty low (hit it with my head while sitting). My 11' hammock has a much higher ridgeline and feels less confined with bug net installed.
    My ridgeline is pretty low, it's a double but it's apparently only 9.3 ft long, which explains that. I'm working towards a better hammock, but for now I need to jerry-rig this one. I'm going out this weekend for an overnight and I'll bring a few options and play with it. I had no idea ENO's were so short. I'm eyeing an asym from Walhalla Outdoors, Spiguyver Backpacking just did a review of the one they are raffling off and it looks amazing. But until then... fun with knots or something :P

Hammock
    Clark Jungle
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    For that kind of bug net I would just use a length of shock cord. It would give a bit and not affect the hang angles on your suspension like paracord would, would way a good deal less and have some give for when you're getting in and out of the net. 2 mitten hooks and a cord lock and you could make something that's adjustable in length and easy to put up or take down.
    Thank you! I am going for an overnight on Saturday and I'll bring some shock cord and play with it. Luckily I just got some from Amazon.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    This is how I set up my separate bugnet. I bought it off a forum member earlier this season and do not know the manufacturer. It has 4 sewn loops at the top for cord to go thru and hold up. I use extra shock cord that came with another integrated bugnet hammock I own and connect it high on the hammock suspension, right up at the tarp level since I have those tabs. Does a great job to keep the netting out of my face and my hammock ridgeline unencumbered by netting.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I have the single and doublenest from ENO and the guardian bugnet, which has it's own ridgeline tied above my hammock's ridgeline. It is very much the same as the one you linked to. I have had one instance where the taut-line hitch I tied came loose and the bugnet sagged down close to my face, which did indeed cause some claustrophobia, which I was in no position to fix due to rain. Thankfully I was in my own backyard testing out new gear, so I scrapped the test and went inside to bed I have since learned to tie the bugnet ridgeline up as high as possible while still allowing clearance for sag on the hammock and to make sure my knots are well tied for the separate bugnet ridgeline. if your net doesn't come with a ridgeline, I have found some guyline at ****'s sporting goods for 6.99, https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...rflctvgylnrcac

this works perfect with the bugnet as it fits in the channel of the external hooks. my bugnet guyline is too short to go from tree to tree, so I usually tie to my atlas straps above where I hook onto. but if you buy your own, the stuff I linked to will be more than enough to get you around both trees to get your ridgeline high enough.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast