Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    CRO
    Suspension
    Dutchware,MyersTec

1.1 vs 1.6 ripstop nylon

Hey all!

Looking to build a hammock and I'm stuck between 1.1 and 1.6 ripstop nylon. I'm 5- and 105, I can definitely get by with the 1.1 from a support perspective (even on the exceedingly rare night that my dog might maybe possibly sleep with me- though if he comes, I'll likely go to ground), so the weight savings is appealing. However, I've heard the 1.6 is softer, less plasticky, and more comfortable (plus, cooler colors, I know- low priority)

What can you tell me about comfort, skin feel, breathabity (and stretch/sag at my size/weight). Basically, try to convince me to buy your preferred fabric of the two)

I know this is a matter of opinion and personal experience, but I know y'all have plenty of both!
    Thanks!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Am I reading it right that you're 5' and 105lbs? If so, I'm not sure you benefit much from the 1.6, other than choice of colors. All my hammocks are 1.1 and I'm 5'10 - 180. Have a double layer 1.1 which adds more support like the 1.6 would, but I still find my single layer more comfy.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lar
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    CRO
    Suspension
    Dutchware,MyersTec
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Am I reading it right that you're 5' and 105lbs? If so, I'm not sure you benefit much from the 1.6, other than choice of colors. All my hammocks are 1.1 and I'm 5'10 - 180. Have a double layer 1.1 which adds more support like the 1.6 would, but I still find my single layer more comfy.
    Yeah- you're correct on height and weight, sorry about that.

What's more comfy about it specifically?

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    Yeah- you're correct on height and weight, sorry about that.

What's more comfy about it specifically?
    I think you will find that comfort based on material weight is completely subjective. Some prefer a "firm" lay, some "stretchy", and some in between. In general, 1.1 fabrics tend to be softer. However, there are specialty hammock fabrics that are designed to feel more like silk, or more like cotton etc. I would suggest purchasing the samples, and maybe making it to a group hang to try out a few different fabrics

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I believe you must be talking about 1.6 Hexon which has a more "matte" appearance and is arguably softer to the touch than ripstop. Its a subtle difference, but between 1.6 ripstop and 1.6 Hexon, I'd likely choose the newer Hexon material. I don't find ripstop to be "plasticky" at all, but I can understand that description when comparing the two materials.

No difference between 1.1 and 1.6 ripstop other than the 1.6 being more supportive, which is already sort of a subtle charateristic, and perhaps too subtle to make much difference for you.

Lot of this hammock stuff is going to come down to your personal preferences, and likely means some experimentation and multiple hammocks in your future, LOL. I'd pick the cheapest material at this point and just get started.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    If by "looking to build" you mean DIY, I'd suggest giving Kyle a call/chat at ripstopbytheroll. Great guy to work with and he really knows his fabrics.

I like my Dutch 1.6 Hexon hammock best, as it feels soft and buttery, like cotton. I've considered a dbl layer in 1.1.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I made a bridge hammock out of Hexon 1.6 and it has a wonderful feel. I used the 1.6 because even though I'm about 180 I wanted a bit of a safety margin for the bridge since I think they have more stress than a GE hammock. The 1.6 gives me a rock steady feel and I'm not concerned it will fail. For my next hammock I'll probably try the 1.1, but the feel of the Hexon is so nice I may stick with that fabric type. Also the extra threads for the hex makes me think it will be more resistant to tears anyway.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    First, color is important! Your first "contact" with the hammock is via color. Second, you didn't mention how you were going to handle CBS (cold butt syndrome). Are you going to use an under quilt or a pad of some kind. If you are going to use a pad, I'd go for 1.1 in two layers. But really, have you heard those commercials for "Sleep Number Bed" - where each person dials in the firmness that is right for them. Such it is with hammock support. Some people like a little give/sponginess. Others like a firmer support.

If you had a single layer 1.1, it would be pretty light. But I also think you'd want to be very careful in handling it.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Unless you sleep at least partially naked in the hammock, the "feel" of the fabric won't be of importance. I always wear sleeping clothes, and only really feel the fabric when setting up or packing the hammock. While some fabrics have a nicer touch than other fabrics, the way a fabric behaves when stretched is infinitely more important to me. For example the 1.0oz HyperD is a fabric with a super soft touch. But I wouldn't last more than 2 hours in a 1.0oz HyperD single layer hammock before getting back pain (I have no medical condition - my back simply doesn't like to be curved for hours on end). In contrast the plain 1.9oz ripstop nylon feels coarse - but I love the lay it gives. So Intimidator is correct:

Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    you will find that comfort based on material weight is completely subjective.
    There's just one way to find out, unfortunately, and that is to try each fabric.

Touch and comfort aside, I would go with the more robust 1.6oz fabric, simply because I don't care for the risk of a failed (single layer) hammock. Those thin fabrics are delicate. I have managed to damage thin fabrics while sewing, and while I usually take good care of my gear (no failed hammock in 7 years), it's way to easy to get the hammock snagged on a twig. The dog only has to jump in the hammock once to poke a hole...

• + New Posts