WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS

RR SPREADER BARS

Does anyone know of another trekking pole brand/model that will effectively replace WB's RR spreader bars other than the oft referred to MountainSmith Treker FX Monopod?

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Most any straight poles can be modified to work if you're willing to do some drilling/gluing. I've got a really old set that I modified to work but it required removing the hand straps (no loss to me) and installing an aluminum 1/4" bolt in the top. The compression really rests on the top of the handle and not the added stud so it's lasted just fine.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard of any "ergo" design grips working well. I think some folks have used them but it's required making hooks to cantilever the suspension and therefore bypass the grip. The grip poking out one side really limits the ability to pull down the tarp for storms so that's a no-go for me.

I've been using the Trekker FX poles for a couple of years with no problems. I ditched the straps, top cap and nut/disk then shortened the threaded stud. They're not the greatest poles but bringing them vs my black diamond and WB spreaders saves me something like half a pound. However, I don't have handy poles for "porch mode" either....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I use the Komperdell carbon fiber camera staffs. I use them like trekking poles, they work great..
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    Hey FJRpilot how long have you been using them? Do you use them for both header and foot, and have you modified them in anyway at all?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
    Hey FJRpilot how long have you been using them? Do you use them for both header and foot, and have you modified them in anyway at all?
    I do, both head and foot. I've had them almost a year and I use them stock. I do use Warbonnet's adaptors with them.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    These are the poles I use as well for my ridgerunner. I like that they are flick link, made it easy to tighten them, as they slipped a little the first time I used them.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS
    After a lot of research I decided to modified my Leki Quantum poles (Photo 1) instead of having to buy the MountainSmith poles or the more costly cuban fiber tubing as replacements.

Before continuing though let me point out that credit must be given to HairBear's 3 part pole modification on youTube for the idea and inspiration behind my mod which differs from his in that none of the RR's poles are used.

Instead I used 2 SharkBite adapters, 2 pieces of 1/4" threaded rod cut to 1 3/8" length (Photo 2) and a WB Hiking Pole Tip set.

I prefer not to use straps so mine were removed at the time of purchase sometime ago. It's easily done by pushing out the two small pins in the handle (Photos 3 and 4) after which the top piece (Photos 5 and 6) can be lifted out. That exposes the portion of the handle with a tiny hole in the center which I drilled out with a 3/8" bit (Photos 7 and 8) starting with a smaller bit as a guide.

Looking at photo 9,…on the SharkBite I used needle nose pliers to pull out the small piece opposite the threads, it's not needed.

Using coarse sandpaper I rounded the entire area beneath the nut portion until I had a tight/force fit in the hole/tube of the pole's handle. Using a 7/32" bit I drilled slightly into the threaded portion of the SharkBite so that the threaded rod could be inserted and screwed down leaving 7/16" exposed, Photo 9.

Before final placement of the SharkBite in the hole I coated it with J-B Weld Twin Tube then tapped it into place. Allowed to dry for 48 hours and the final result, Photo 10.

To finish everything off black paint was applied, and to prevent an injury from the protruding threaded rod cap nuts were added when using the poles for hiking, Photo 11. Replacing those with the WB tips and I've got my spreader bars.

Costing a tad more than $20 (cap nuts 1.18, rod 3.98, SharkBites 8.22 and epoxy 5.67 and 1.00 tax) the poles having weighed 18.6 oz are now a mere 3 oz more.

Lying in the RR with these seems to be solidly secure with no apparent structural weakness. I’m 5’11” and my weight fluctuates between 165-170 lbs. Hopefully after a few nights in the hammock with them I can be confident that they’ll be dependable.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas are welcomed, and appreciated.

NOTE: I tried to figure out how to line all these photos up in a straight line but am puzzled as to how it's done,...any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Bonus- those still using small cameras (as opposed to a smart phone) can screw the camera to the top of the pole for a makeshift monopod.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Bonus- those still using small cameras (as opposed to a smart phone) can screw the camera to the top of the pole for a makeshift monopod.
    I do that with my smart phone and a Glif: https://www.studioneat.com/products/glif Just got the new version via Kickstarter to replace the older one I had for the past couple years.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast