WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt System
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Here's our outdoor hammock stand built with 6x6 treated posts and 2x6 top braces.
    The size is 16 x 12 to accomodate several different hammocks and hanging situations.
    That is a nice setup, may have to try to sell my wife on the idea of having something similar in our yard...
    TubaDude

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by TubaDude2000 View Post
    That is a nice setup, may have to try to sell my wife on the idea of having something similar in our yard...
    Newark is only 1.5hrs away. You're welcome to bring the wife up and check ours out. Just contact me and I'd be happy to arrange something.

This is fairly old, but I am gonna try and make one of these but had a thought:

If I connect all four legs at the bottom as they are at the top....would I need to bury them in the ground?

I am thinking about move-a-bility....but the structure would obviously need to work, too.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brokentree View Post
    This is fairly old, but I am gonna try and make one of these but had a thought:

If I connect all four legs at the bottom as they are at the top....would I need to bury them in the ground?

I am thinking about move-a-bility....but the structure would obviously need to work, too.
    Wow, never thought of that. In fact, with just tops rails would these even need to be buried at all? Looking at the photo above, would the hammock pull those legs together? Or would those legs sitting in the grass have enough hold on their own. It would be nice not having to permanently bury stuff.

I would think you'd have to force the bottom of the legs apart, whether with beams between them or in the ground. There is a lot of force being applied and if i have people hanging in every direction it would get worse.

I dont imagine moving it often, but the option would be nice. Set of big wheels under one side and lift it on tractor forks....I bet it would work.

Ask me again in a few weeks!

One could put a spike in the bottom end of the uprights, instead of burying, to make something like this "portable."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    One could put a spike in the bottom end of the uprights, instead of burying, to make something like this "portable."
    Exactly! Nothing would be worse than standing back after the fact and thinking "I wish that was about 2 feet to the left"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Looks great! There’s a term called, “racking”. it has to do with the side to side sway of things. It is often prevented by adding a triangle, or a least a diagonal piece joining two sides in the corners. In the photo, the top piece deals with the shear force and is augmented with the solid ground bury. If you just connectthe bottoms with an above ground piece, you are making the framework of a cube. Considering the cost/labor, I’d consult some sort of engineering knowledge about what to expect. One thing to consider is the trip-over-ability of the on-the-ground pieces.

If you really want to be appealing to someone who just tolerates your hammock interest rather than completely embraces it - you can tell … was the external frame her idea or yours. it would help - no joke - if the frame is sort of a trellis for flowers or ivy.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456