Slight back pain with a bridge hammock.

I have seen a ton of threads and discussions about the benefits of hammocks for back pain and even a few about people trying to fix back pain they are feeling in their gathered end.... but nothing about people experiencing it in bridge hammocks. After my first night in the BMBH I have a very slight mid-lowish back pain. Much better than any gathered end I have used, but still there. For reference I am not using any thing other than a pillow under my head and shoulders to relieve a bit of the squeeze. Any bridge hammock people out there ever experience back pain? My first thought is to try a small pillow under my knees or maybe somewhere under my back.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    First give yourself a few days to become acclimated to the new (to you) lay.

The next thing that came to my mind was a knee cushion, as you've already surmised. Experiment with different heights.

Next would be more or less sag. An adjustable ridgeline can be most helpful, but I'm not that familiar with the BMBH as how to attach one.

EDIT: If there is room for you, try skooching a bit more toward the ends. I find I'm better sliding a bit more toward the foot end.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 06-19-2017 at 17:10.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    If you want more lower back support increase the length between the primary rings to 9-6 or 9-7... Do not string it any tighter as you will risk tearing the bug net... Conversely if you want more sag reduce it to 9-3 or so.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    If you want more lower back support increase the length between the primary rings to 9-6 or 9-7... Do not string it any tighter as you will risk tearing the bug net... Conversely if you want more sag reduce it to 9-3 or so.

Pan
    Listen to the master!!! He's good.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Squidmark is an expert on this subject BTW and gives some solid tips. Hopefully it's just a couple day adjustment period that's missing.

What I would add from my end:
    As a disclaimer I have never seen nor laid in a BMBH. However I did take a quick look at the website and it lists a 70d fabric.

I'm most familiar with RBTR fabrics; who sell 1.9 RS that is 70d, and they sell Hex 70 which is 2.2 ounces and also 70d. While we are all used to looking at "xxd" fabrics (denier) all that really means is the fiber/thread used to weave the finished fabric.

The point being- my experience with bridges is that modern fabrics make a massive difference. Most agree that the recent hammock specific ripstop fabrics make a big difference in a GE hammock... even more so in a bridge.
    Even the HyperD 1.6 vs the Hybrid 1.7 is the difference between a perfect bridge and a decent one in my opinion. So nothing against Jack's or the BMBH... but I find that where that becomes most noticeable is in the center portion of the bridge. If it's just right... your back is perfectly supported... if it's a bit too soft or the weave too open then it ends up much closer to a GE hammock type profile. Not always a bad thing, but you still have a bit more negative curve than is ideal.

So if you get the tension, pitch, setup, and other factors correct... it may simply not be the right fabric for your body. A solid week of sleeping in it should do it once you have it dialed for your body to adjust (barring any other injuries).

Your weight can make a big difference... It seems to me that roughly180, 200, 230 and 300 lbs have been the break points where various fabrics make or break the bridge. This goes in both directions. A 180 pound user might find the 300lb hammock is too firm. But 200 ish seems to be the big break on if a more traditional ripstop "works" or not. My medium bridge in hyperD 1.6 goes from perfect to junk if you are heavier than 200 pounds for example... even with a hammock designed weave the supersoftness of the fabric literally bites you in the bum in a bridge.

Some of that is bridge nerd pickiness... but if all else is working sometimes the devil is truly in the details on bridges.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I've never even been in a BMBH so take anything I have to say as a generalization and with a grain of salt.

All of my bridges are net-less (1 DL RR and 2 Townsend Lux's, 1 SL and 1DL), so when I suggested varying the sag I wasn't considering a net in the equation. Pan's point about this should definitely be heeded.

If your (head) pillow is too thick it could produce back discomfort. I use a cushion that pretty much just fills the hollow under my neck. I think a pillow is the wrong tool to try to prevent shoulder squeeze. If you can tolerate the condensation issue, perhaps a full length inflatable pad might be better. Two potential benefits are that it tends to flatten the hammock fabric somewhat, and perhaps more importantly it raises your body higher in the fabric so there is less squeeze on both your shoulders elbows/arms. It's just the nature of the beast (bridges) that the necessary side curves force arms (that are held straight at sides) inward and upward. I think of this as the coffin position/sensation.

One thing I tried that produced some relief, a thin "pad" under the small of my back. I took some left over down tubes from CDT projects and layered them in a small travel pillow case. I added/removed layers as needed. It doesn't take nearly as much as you might think. After this I wound up switching from a DL Lux to a SL Lux. I just wasn't heavy enough to make the double layer perform as designed, which manifested in considerable lower back discomfort in the mornings. Which brings up another point, just because something feels good when you first try it for a few minutes or even a few hours, what counts is the effect after sleeping with it for at least several days.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Are there any bridges available that one can buy that aren't The Ridgerunner or BMBH? I had a BMBH and sold it, but had been dealing with a nagging shoulder injury that took about 3 years to get over. (Always thought an extra couple inches on the bars might have made a difference). I'm wanting to try a bridge again and assumed that those two were my options. (I'd like to add I think they are good options). I love the feel of Hyper D 1.6, Hexon 1.6, and Robic 1.7, but have zero (none, zilch, nada) DIY skills.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Are there any bridges available that one can buy that aren't The Ridgerunner or BMBH? I had a BMBH and sold it, but had been dealing with a nagging shoulder injury that took about 3 years to get over. (Always thought an extra couple inches on the bars might have made a difference). I'm wanting to try a bridge again and assumed that those two were my options. (I'd like to add I think they are good options). I love the feel of Hyper D 1.6, Hexon 1.6, and Robic 1.7, but have zero (none, zilch, nada) DIY skills.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...IG-GUY-Bridge)

Might be a fella working on that.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Lol, just realized I sent a PM to you. Didn't quite catch it was the same guy. Thanks, lol.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Are there any bridges available that one can buy that aren't The Ridgerunner or BMBH? I had a BMBH and sold it, but had been dealing with a nagging shoulder injury that took about 3 years to get over.
    not a bridge, but the Amok is fantastic for those with bad shoulders. no squeeze even possible

• + New Posts