Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images

Tips and hints for selling on Hammock Forums

Some things that I have noticed might help you sell your items on Hammock Forums

While the only thing that is required in the FS thread is item name and price, there are some things successful sellers routinely do. It really seem to help them move their items along.

1) In your FS thread have the following items: Description of item, note any unusual wear/tears, size of item, initial price of item new verses your price, when did you purchase the item, how do you expect to be paid, and last but not least pictures of your item...not link to vendor site but what does your item look like. I know some of the HF members will not even consider buying an item when the seller can’t or won’t post a picture of the item.

2) Bump the item daily! While Hammock Forums only requires a weekly bump, daily bumps get the attention and are successful. Also helpful is if you bump at different times of day. If you always bump in the AM by the time the afternoon buyer gets on your item is no longer at the top of the new message scan. So every few days do your bump in the afternoon.

3) If you are getting PM’s on the item with questions, post the questions in your thread. If one buyer has a question there are more folks with the same question that did not PM you.

4) After your item has been posted for a bit with no “bites” drop the price even if only by a dollar or two. This serves two purposes. It lets the buyer know you might be open to an offer if they PM you and it bumps the thread back to the top.

5) If you had 3 items posted and all but one has sold, if possible close and move that thread and open a new thread with your old item and a couple more new things added in. It keeps it fresh!

6) Do your homework before posting your item. If your item is version 1.0 and 3.0 is now available say so in the thread and speak to the differences. A small change may make a world of difference to the buyer.

7) Space your items out by numbering them as 1, 2, 3 That way it does not take the buyer long to find the exact item in your post that they are interested in.

8) Bundling! Got a lot of small items to sell? Bundle them together and sell them for one price. Just make a statement in the post that you are selling as a bundle only! If you have more than 3 items in the bundle you can’t separate the bundle per HF guidelines of 1 post 3 items so it will save you time to state up front that it is a bundle sale only. Moderators only look for 3 prices in your post so bundling is a great way to sell a lot of smaller items.

None of the suggestions above are required except where noted that they are in the guidelines. You don’t have to follow the suggestions at all but after moderating the Market Place for some time now, these are the things I see successful sellers do.

If you have tips/hints that you have successfully used on HF, please feel free to post them in this thread. New users may find them helpful.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Be realistic about your pricing. It doesn't matter if you've only used it in your backyard or your house for 5 minutes once it hits your door it's used. I know people will keep the price high because "there's no wait" and this does work for some people but I think you'll sell faster or more often if you realistically accept the fact this is used gear. Personally (and just for me) I'm always planning far enough ahead that wait times don't really matter to me. If someone is selling a piece of gear for only ten bucks off the retail price I'm going to pass and just buy it from the vendor. The purpose of buying used gear is to save a little money.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC 2017
    Suspension
    Straps & Cont Loop
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    Be realistic about your pricing. It doesn't matter if you've only used it in your backyard or your house for 5 minutes once it hits your door it's used. I know people will keep the price high because "there's no wait" and this does work for some people but I think you'll sell faster or more often if you realistically accept the fact this is used gear. Personally (and just for me) I'm always planning far enough ahead that wait times don't really matter to me. If someone is selling a piece of gear for only ten bucks off the retail price I'm going to pass and just buy it from the vendor. The purpose of buying used gear is to save a little money.
    BEGIN RANT: Amen! I know that I'm not willing to pay 80-90% of retail for a piece of used gear, and I just shake my head... but I guess some people are willing to pay that (not sure why!)

If you have used the gear AT ALL, then be realistic and price it between 40-70% of retail based on usage and age. *IF* it's NIB, then maybe 80-90% but I'm very wary of that. Bless you cause I know that you love your gear like family, but if you're selling it maybe not so much?

This isn't prime real estate folks, IT'S CAMPING GEAR! Just my 2 cents worth... *END RANT* All secure in Sector 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I both buy and sell.
    1. As mentioned above, realistic pricing (used is used, no matter where the use took place).

2. Description, really needs to ne HONEST, if something has been personalized, such as marking the head end of the item or putting your name on the gear you are selling.
    LIKE NEW has different meanings to different people. Lots of wear showing is not new condition. Holes in netting is not in new condition, be honest.

3. Very optional, however, items seem to sell significantly quicker when the price of postage is included. I wish Seller's would at least give the cost of shipping to the destination zip code when asked for it. Buying something without knowing the cost of shipping often makes for a unhappy deal or no deal. Zip Code to Zip Code is easy for.the sender to calculate and control.
    I no longer consider an item wirhout the cost of shipping included.

4. I read through posts by the seller to see how they treat their gear. Guys that brag about peeing while hanging I do not buy from.

5. Stock Photos well I have used them, they were from the build of my Dream Hammock, Pappa Smurf did a much better job of the photos, plus the hammock was used once, I was selling because I could not exit it without help.LOL

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    A tip: If you will only ship to USA, CONUS, Lower 48, Canada, England...etc...etc. Say so in the post please. One of the big items mods get pulled into beyond sellers who sell via a PM instead of the I'll take it in the thread, is when a buyer does everything right including the I'll take it only to have the seller say they don't ship to XXX (pick a spot outside of US).

So if you don't want to ship outside of US, say so in your initial post please. It saves a lot of heartburn later.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I like to see the price of something that just sold. For some reason, some sellers will change $XXX to $OLD or something to that effect. Please leave the price it sold at and ADD the word SOLD.
    -Thank you everybody

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I like to see the price of something that just sold. For some reason, some sellers will change $XXX to $OLD or something to that effect. Please leave the price it sold at and ADD the word SOLD.
    -Thank you everybody
    The reason I change it it two fold. First, it makes it abundantly clear what is sold and what is still available. Second, using these to gauge other transactions is hit or miss at best, as every piece of gears condition, use, age, is different. To each his own I guess.

I like to see prices as well, but it’s a personal transaction, so doesn’t matter either way.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    The reason I change it it two fold. First, it makes it abundantly clear what is sold and what is still available. Second, using these to gauge other transactions is hit or miss at best, as every piece of gears condition, use, age, is different. To each his own I guess.

I like to see prices as well, but it’s a personal transaction, so doesn’t matter either way.
    I know it’s not a compelling argument, but my curious nature does indeed want to know regardless!

• + New Posts