Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

TATO Gear Stand Experiences

There are several threads here on the TATO Gear stand. Most have died on the vine so I thought I would start another to gain input now that these have been on the market a while to see what has worked and what has not.

Specifically, for my situation, I just purchased the kit from someone. Based on what I have read in most of these TATO gear stands, I think, since most of my tarps are either 10 or 11 feet and most of my hammocks are in that range too, I will be doing a two-piece 13 foot (two x 6 1/2') and 6 1/2 foot tall legs. Does that seem agreeable to most with experience with these stands? Can anybody recommend a specific type of conduit that seems to be working best for people? Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    I use 2 8' pieces of chain link fence top rail for my home made stand. I join them on the middle with a short piece of 1/2" gas iron gas pipe. Not portable but works great in the back yard.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I used the "regular" conduit from Home Depot and have 6 foot long legs with a 13 foot (10 +3) ridge pole. I have probably 30 hangs in it and it's still going strong. The ridge pole is starting to sag at the junction but that doesn't seem to hurt anything that I can see. I painted the conduit a brown color and while it does chip off easily it also touches up easily with a couple of sprays.
    20160506_102043.jpg

Thanks huyettm. I made a great fence rail stand; however, I intended this to be specifically regarding experiences with the TATO Gear stand and components thereof. Nice stand though.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I used the "regular" conduit from Home Depot and have 6 foot long legs with a 13 foot (10 +3) ridge pole. I have probably 30 hangs in it and it's still going strong. The ridge pole is starting to sag at the junction but that doesn't seem to hurt anything that I can see. I painted the conduit a brown color and while it does chip off easily it also touches up easily with a couple of sprays.
    20160506_102043.jpg
    TRailSlug, your picture makes it appear as though you have a longer portion and shorter portion for your ridge pole as opposed to two of equal length. Is that correct or is it an optical illusion? If it is correct, why did you choose to go that route? Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It not an illusion. 13 foot (10' +3') ridge pole. I was lazy when I did this so I could just use a cut off piece from the legs and add it to a full section without the extra cut.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    You are right. I used what I had lying around and had cut a couple feet off one of them for some nother previous use! 😁

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    Straps whoopie
    Just measured it.nits 15.5 feet long. The picture shows an ENO Doublenest hammock.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    20160506_102043.jpg
    that sag doesn't worry you? I'm not an engineer (heck, I barely know how to use a hacksaw), but I'd worry about a joint sagging like that snapping on me in the middle of an overnight hang. might be because I'm 275 pounds. I worry a LOT about safety and whether or not something will carry me through the night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGhoti View Post
    that sag doesn't worry you? I'm not an engineer (heck, I barely know how to use a hacksaw), but I'd worry about a joint sagging like that snapping on me in the middle of an overnight hang. might be because I'm 275 pounds. I worry a LOT about safety and whether or not something will carry me through the night.
    It's been that way since the second hang and no it doesn't worry me. I've only got about 2 feet to fall if it gives way

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast