Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSky! View Post
    O.K. I got my kit and have a question. I see pictures of the entire stand (with poles) as opposed to the "kit" that I bought. 1" conduit is necessary, I get that. The pictures of the entire stand sold by Dutch at least look like they have 2 inch pipes/rails. Is that correct? I ask because I understand those are lighter, as mentioned above, than the 1" conduit and I would like to know if there is a source to buy those aluminum poles, if they are 1" and would fit my kit. Thanks again in advance.
    You would need to verify this with the manufacture but the 1" aluminum most likely wouldn't be strong enough to work unless it is a very thick cast.

My thoughts exactly. Hence, my question about the full set-up vs the parts kit requiring 1 inch conduit.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    My thoughts exactly. Hence, my question about the full set-up vs the parts kit requiring 1 inch conduit.
    I misunderstood your question. So are asking if you can source 2" aluminum to fit a 1" connector stub that is designed for 1" conduit? I'm very confused because if you wanted the same legs that are on the "full kit" then why not purchase the full kit?

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Tato designed the kit to be easy to source the byo parts. Conduit is usually steel and at 1" it's plenty sturdy.

The Tato Gear Stand is meant to be lighter weight, if I remember right they initially had difficulty sourcing aluminum pipe in the right diameter. But since they sell it complete, it doesn't matter to the end user how difficult it was for Tato to find the parts. So the full stand is designed for the larger diameter aluminum pipe.

I'll try again. The pictures of the complete stand, as sold by Dutchware, look to have 2 inch pipes as opposed to 1". Are my eyes deceiving me? Are they one inch or two inch? Part two, it is my understanding that those pipes, whether 1" or 2", are lighter weight than 1" conduit that we buy at Lowes/Home Depot/Menards/Eagle, ad infinitum. Is that true? Finally, the last part, what is the material and where can it be purchased? I should have worded it this way as opposed to stream of thought.
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    If you're talking about the Tato Gear Hammock Stand Kit sold directly by Tato Gear, and the Tato Gear Hammock Stand sold by Dutchwear, then you're talking about two different products.

The kit requires 1" steel conduit for the legs.
    The complete stand uses a different diameter aluminum pole for the legs.

Most of the pieces and parts for the two products aren't interchangeable. The legs are among that group.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I believe they're both 1" legs.

Kit: Two tripod tops (main hinged part) + 1" conduit supplied by you.

Complete stand: Same thing, but the pipe is included with a black anodized finish and height-adjustable via the little push-buttons. Safety straps are also included.

I believe they're the same otherwise - just a tripod top with 1" pipe. Of course, the black adjustable legs in the full version will be tapered some, maybe 15/16" on the lower half to allow it to slide into the 1" part. I don't know where you could get something like this, other than directly from Tato. I don't know about this, but it may be possible if you ask nicely Personally, I think the 1" conduit is a good balance of weight/safety. I'm not sure I would want to go lighter.

There was also an old kit version which used 2x2" wood legs.

Opposite answers. Hmmm. Still don't know.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Opposite answers. Hmmm. Still don't know.
    Why not simply contact Dutch if you want a definitive answer? in addition if you want to entire kit why not purchase it?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I have made a traditional turtle dog stand, but wanted something that I could easily take with me, because going to ground, especially while car camping is not an option I want to face. The build quality was good for the stand, however the storage bag has already come apart. I also have not had to use it on an outing yet, but a few setups in the back yard have me a little weary. In my experience, the legs do spread far enough apart to provide the stable foundation that my DIY stand does. Because of that, each time I've set it up about 4 and only 1 with a tarp it has fallen over. And yes, I have three guy lines (which I replaced the cheap lines provided with zing-it)on each side staked down. I want very much to like the stand, one being i spent a good hunk of change on it. But other than the built quality of the metal pieces (legs, top rail, connecting carabiner, etc) everything else seems lacking for a premium product (storage bag, webbing, buckles, guy lines).

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast