Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seekinggoodsleep View Post
    Hi, all. I've definitely enjoyed a lot of the posts on this site. I did a search to see if this was already answered somewhere, but didn't find it.

I'm wondering why some people prefer bridge hammocks to gathered-end hammocks? My interest is mostly in sleeping comfort. For the gathered-end hammocks, sleeping on the diagonal and hanging properly seem to be the big secrets (absent CBS) to getting comfortable sleep. It's impossible to lay on a diagonal in a bridge, though, right? And I'm guessing you wouldn't get the benefit of having your feet and head slightly higher than your middle in a bridge? Then again, it seems like it would be much easier to lay flat in a bridge.

Does anyone have any info. on the pros/cons of bridge vs. gathered-end?

Thanks!
    The reasons I like my Warbonnet Ridgerunner more than my 5 gathered end hammocks are :
    - Comfort - I find the bridge hammock to be so much more comfortable than any gathered ends especially after having back surgery
    - Easy of setup - It's really really easy to set up a bridge hammock. For me at 5' 9" I tie each end at eye height (at approximately 14-16 feet) and it's ready to lay in.
    - Ease of attachment and adjustability of the under quilt. It's literally connect 4 mini biners to the 4 corners of the hammock and your done. There is zero adjustments to be made (or can be made.)
    - The saddle bags. I love the fact that I can fill these will all my "stuff" and the climb in. I even push my top quilt into these to get it out of the way till I'm ready for it. I throw my phone, extra battery, ear plugs, head lamp, extra cloths, glasses, etc and I still have room.

The only cons I have are:
    - You have to be a bit more careful when climbing in and out of the hammock to avoid hitting the trap. This took about a 1/2 trip to get used to.
    - There's no ridge line to hook my phone to so I can watch shows at night.

That's it for me. The Ridgerunner has been my ticket for getting back in the woods and I love it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Noah 12 for now
    Insulation
    Lynx 0, Spindrift
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    Its all comfort for the win in my bridge, but the view from my WBRR can't be achieved in a GE.
    Spend a lazy morning watching gray light appear, and then the colors coming to life with the rising sunlight, or a rainy afternoon, or a starry night in a bridge, and you will understand.
    I go to the woods to relax and enjoy the experience. Canoe travel is my usual, so camping waterside provides great views.
    Comfort with a great view is what all the grand hotels advertise, and I get both in my WBRR. And I don't have to hang the do not disturb tag, or worry about check-out time.
    Thinking about it here, makes me realize that the view from the hammock is as valuable to me as is the comfort. My tarp is always in porch mode, unless there is a storm, to take advantage of views.
    Comfort with a great view is what makes the bridge the choice for me. Yep, its the view. No, its the comfort. Nope the view. Ahh, but the comfort. Nope, the view. Dang it, I can't decide.
    I know it's not the lightest gear, and it's a lot of stuff, but I use a canoe, so it's a lot like car camping, but without the other cars.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I can get comfortable in either hammock. But the gathered end is not symmetrical after I lay in it because one side is riding high on one shoulder and that bothers me a little. Not a deal breaker. I just prefer things even.
    If I'm pressed for space or weight I will gladly go with the GE and be comfy.
    I say start with a GE then later try a bridge.
    It's all about the fun in discovery and experimentation and feeling the gentle sway of a hammock while resting. After a hard day's hike, I'll take any hammock and not complain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by seekinggoodsleep View Post
    ...Does anyone have any info. on the pros/cons of bridge vs. gathered-end?
    As you can see from the many insights shared so far, there are a variety of advantages and trade-offs to each design; few are absolute, as many of these are subjective.

Getting clear on your own list of personal priorities and preferences will help you decide whether a gathered-end hammock or a bridge hammock is best for you, allowing you to maximize the benefits and minimize the effects of the disadvantages under the camping conditions and style you intend to experience most often.

Hang your own hang, and good luck.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch Netless, BBXLC, Custom Bridge
    Tarp
    a few, mostly WB
    Insulation
    several...
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'll come out and say I'm biased as I am a user of Just Bill's Luxury/Big-Boy Bridge by Town's End (sheesh that's a mouthful). I am a relative newcomer (2 years) to hammocks after finding myself not being able to sleep on on the ground anymore even with inflatable pads.

I started at the path of least resistance, trying out my kids ENO and then a succession of lower cost (Grand Trunk, Yukon Outfitters, etc.) hammocks of my own. these are all shorter and heavier than I want so invested in a Dutch 11' Netless gathered end for hiking. I sleep pretty well in a GE hammmock and this one hits my weight requirements for hiking.

eventually, I decided I wanted the "Cadillac" for a camping hammock and bought a Warbonnet BBXLC. loved it...

...then out of the blue, Just Bill sent me his bridge hammock to evaluate (he's weird like that) and to get to the heart of the matter, after using the Town's End Luxury/Big Boy Bridge, I just sold my WB BBXLC and shipped it out yesterday.

several people at the Hootenany Hang tried this bridge and were VERY impressed by the comfort. the one thing that impressed most, was looking at the bottom-side contour of someone when they laid in it - it looked like an exact impression of their body shape! as Bill says, it's almost like laying on a Swedish memory foam mattress - NO PRESSURE POINTS - amazing...

I have somewhere between 100-120 "lays" in this hammock and it's still going strong. I have it on my screened porch and I'll start to go out and read a book but that usually turns into a nap in short order.

I don't know about other bridge designs. as I said, I'm pretty inexperienced but I won't use a gathered end hammock again, except for weight when hiking...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Your best bet is to not ask what will be comfortable to you and just purchase at least one gathered end and one bridge and start from there. It's really your decision on what will be comfortable and the good news is you can sell the more popular gathered end and bridges on this site and only loose a bit on each as a usage fee

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the really helpful responses! I have some experimenting to do!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Have to concur with trail slug.
    The ridgerunner is a my simple, go-to, back or side sleep hammock. I can usually always count on a good nights rest. 8 or 10 hours worth.
    I'm enjoying a fantastic thunderstorm in it, tonight, and loving the sound of the rain beating on my winterdream!
    "What's the best gift you can give a kid?
    Happily married parents!"

Setting aside the issue of weight, couldn't spreader bar (not bridge) hammocks be attached with two suspensions at each end, which would eliminate the tippiness? For example, a single strap looped around a tree, then attached from each side to one end of the hammock and the same on both ends, or attached to two studs on each side in a house would add stability.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    But there is no real "tippiness" with a bridge - there is not so good technique in getting in/out of one. Numerous links in this forum point to the I Love Lucy skit were she tried to get into a "tippy" bridge hammock. If you put your hand on the back edge and stabilize it when you get in/out of the hammock it is just as solid as a GE. Note that the single loop around a tree also cinches the suspenion to that tree If you just run the line from one side of the hammock around the tree and attach to the other side of the hammock, there is no "cinch" to keep the suspension from sliding down the tree.

Maybe I'd misunderstanding your around the tree design. I might be a little sensitive to "method" because I've seen situations in several sports were people put effort in solutions other than just learning how to do it right. By "right", I don't mean my opinion; I mean a consensus method from those with enough experience to know.

You can set up a lot of additional guy lines and anchors so the bridge doesn't swing. Or you could make sure it is the right height above the ground for you and hold the back edge as you get in/out. Just Say'n.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast