Long Trail Hammock & Hiking advice

Looking for some advice!

As I've stated in other threads I'm new to camping and hammocking. I figure I could use an adventure so I am looking to thru-hike the Long Trail heading southbound in a few months - If all goes well between now and then I'm targeting starting the hike 8/23 or 8/25, finishing around Sept 10th or so.

I've been pouring over Chop's website - longtrailvermont.com - it's been a big help!

I've got a few questions and will have some more I'm sure!

1) I'm bringing a hammock (of course!) - and am wondering what insuation would work for a late August-mid September hike. I've got what should be a 20 degree down topquilt and a 20 degree down underquilt. I also have a Costco Underquilt, an Apex 2.5 topquilt and am going to be making a 40 degree down underquilt shortly (40 degree by Catspats calculator). Should I be bringing the 20's for that time of year or can I get away with the lighter quilts to save some weight? Or a combination - maybe the 20 underquilt and the Apex topquilt or the other way around? Clothingwise I'm bringing a set of Patagonia lightweight Cap base layers and a pair of wool sleep socks, plus either a light fleece or a down jacket.

2) I've got a Fronkey bugnet - do I need a bugnet for that time of year or can I get by without it to save weight? I am thinking of making a HUG bugnet too to save some weight if a bugnet seems a good idea.

Thanks for advice on those two questions - I'll get a complete gear list together to get picked apart soon as well.

Of course any other advice is more than welcome too!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Ssorck, good luck on your jaunt. A shakedown weekend trip or two will help you get ready. And maybe it would be fun to travel with someone who has been down that trail and wants to go again--or who would join you for a weekend shakedown trip about a month before the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    September in Vermont can be pretty chilly! I'd just wait till closer to the time, then decide. I have taken my 20-degree set-up to New Hampshire and Maine in Aug/Sept the last couple of years. I suppose I tend to sleep "cold"?

And yes, you can mix-and-match. If so, I'd take a warmer UQ and cooler TQ. I assume you'll have a down jacket?

I'd vote "Yes" on the bugnet.

I'll be hiking the southern half of the Long Trail next month, while doing all of the AT in Vermont.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 06-16-2017 at 08:45.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

@ Phantom - Thanks! Yeah I'm planing on doing a shakedown or two once I get the rest of my gear figured out. I've also been doing longish (10 miles +/-) dayhikes every weekend with a fully loaded pack for the last few months to get in shape as best I can.

@ Rainman, yup, I have a down jacket. Its 13.3 ounces. I was originally planning on bringing an REI fleece thats 9.5 ounces but if i go with a lighter quilt combo maybe I can bring the down jacket and save some weight still. Maybe bring the 20 degree underquilt and make a 40 degree down topquilt?

Also what do you think about going with a half bugnet rather than the full one I already have? I can probably save a bit more weight by doing that.

Good luck on your VT adventure! That looks like a good mission!

I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Well my plans changed and I'm on an accelerated timeline - which means it looks like I'll be starting the trail tomorrow! I think I have my stuff paired down fairly well although I'ld like to try and cut a little last minute weight if possible so any advice would be great.

One place I 'might' be able to do so - my suspension I have 12 foot myerstech dyneema straps with toggles to marlin spike to my continuous loops. I also am carrying whoopie slings in case I need them. For those who have hiked the Long Trail - can I ditch the whoopies and just use the straps or mighti have some trouble at times if I do so?

Here is my gear list:

https://lighterpack.com/r/5c6ddi

I'm going to drop the journal and use my phone which should save me about 6 oz, but I forgot to add an Anker power pack that weighs 6 oz so it's about a wash.

Also I'm a big guy so all the clothes are XL and XXL, as are the quilts...

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner SL
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Alkali!

I was out of town for a funeral and by the time I got home last night I was too tired to travel and get my last minute act together.

I did however book my bus from NYC to Burington VT for midnight tonight. I'll get to Burlington about 11:30 tomorrow morning, then figure out how to get to the Northern terminus.

• + New Posts