Hammock
    Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

First Time Hammock Camping...not quite (Dispersed Camping in Holly Springs National Forest, MS)

DSC_0257.jpgDSC_0264.jpgDSC_0267.jpg

My husband and I tried camping in our hammocks for the first time! I tried out my 1.0 Hexon Dutch and my husband used his ENO DoubleNest. We used one set of trees (with a spreader bar) and a gigantic Noah 12 Tarp, which works really well for us!

We camped near Chewalla Lake which was beautiful...until we were awoken by wild beasts(?) in the middle of the night...which ended in us packing and leaving in the middle of the night...but it was incredibly pleasant while we were there!

P.s. Dispersed = free wild camping (I wrote a post about it: https://bikesandpacks.org/2017/06/01...ersed-camping/)

Definitely will try hammock camping again...but probably closer to civilization...or a trail

What was the wild beast?
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I'm gonna guess being in GA, it was hogs.

Sounds like it was fun up to the midnight pack and skidattle.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Diy HyperD grey ghost
    Tarp
    Wb Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Diy
    Suspension
    whoopies straps ms
    Images
    My last camping trip I had interesting standoff with a racoon that did not understand threats of violence. He failed to understand the implied damage I was trying to impart to him. Had to rehang my bear bag away from him. Darn trash pandas!
    " No sympathy for the devil. You buy the ticket, you take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by kev138 View Post
    My last camping trip I had interesting standoff with a racoon that did not understand threats of violence. He failed to understand the implied damage I was trying to impart to him. Had to rehang my bear bag away from him. Darn trash pandas!
    A few flaming hot fungyuns fix that.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Anyone still following this post? I been looking for other places in Mississippi and just saw Holly Springs National Forest. I was wondering what the regulations are there. I found this post because I ran a search on Chewalla Lake. Also what can I expect to find like day hike. Been thinking about setting up camp at the clearing here .34°43'56.8"N 89°20'29.9"W 34.732448, -89.341650

Quote Originally Posted by Placid Storm View Post
    Anyone still following this post? I been looking for other places in Mississippi and just saw Holly Springs National Forest. I was wondering what the regulations are there. I found this post because I ran a search on Chewalla Lake. Also what can I expect to find like day hike. Been thinking about setting up camp at the clearing here .34°43'56.8"N 89°20'29.9"W 34.732448, -89.341650
    I live in MS, also. I've gone to "Witch Dance Horse Trail" in Tombigbee National Forest a few times. It's located right off the Natchez Trace near Houston. If you're just looking for a place to walk into the woods a few miles, then set up your hammocks and just enjoy camping for a couple days, it's a decent place. The trail is a 15 mile loop, but the camping area is located roughly 3-4 miles from the trailhead going clockwise. If you want more info, you can DM me

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    MYOG 1.0 Robic XL
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    LL UQ, TQ pending.
    Suspension
    web/buck/contloop
    Quote Originally Posted by teasacura View Post
    DSC_0257.jpgDSC_0264.jpgDSC_0267.jpg

My husband and I tried camping in our hammocks for the first time! I tried out my 1.0 Hexon Dutch and my husband used his ENO DoubleNest. We used one set of trees (with a spreader bar) and a gigantic Noah 12 Tarp, which works really well for us!

We camped near Chewalla Lake which was beautiful...until we were awoken by wild beasts(?) in the middle of the night...which ended in us packing and leaving in the middle of the night...but it was incredibly pleasant while we were there!

P.s. Dispersed = free wild camping (I wrote a post about it: https://bikesandpacks.org/2017/06/01...ersed-camping/)

Definitely will try hammock camping again...but probably closer to civilization...or a trail
    Looks great. I did a day hike at chewalla a few months ago. I actually camped down as Puskus lake at a camp site a couple of months ago. I ran into the park ranger there, and he seemed to think that backcountry was not allowed at Puskus, since it's a WMA area. He discouraged camping at Chewalla because of the "yahoos" up there. I'm guessing he's referring to the drug problem in the area. My main concern was figuring out a safe place to park.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you handle parking? Did you just park off a trail head?
    When I went day hiking, it looked pretty overgrown and difficult to find a place to camp off trail. How far off trail did you go? Did you have to do a lot of bushwhacking?

There are coyotes and hogs in the area, but I don't think they would bother you unless you smelled like food or eat in your hammock.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.0 Robic XL
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    LL UQ, TQ pending.
    Suspension
    web/buck/contloop
    If you're in North MS or Atlanta, Sipsey, Alabama (Bankhead Natl Forest) is amazing. If I was back in atlanta, I would love to do some camping in the smokies.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.0 Robic XL
    Tarp
    MYOG SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    LL UQ, TQ pending.
    Suspension
    web/buck/contloop
    Quote Originally Posted by Placid Storm View Post
    Have you ever been to the Batesville hang? That was a couple of weeks ago, and was great.

That clearing looks nice, but it also looks a little strange, like logging was done. I'm wondering what the reason for all the logs in the image. My first thought is private land.

The tough think about MS is that the Nat'l forests have a TON of inholdings (private land), so it's difficult to know if you're on private land or public property. I'm not sure about state law, but I don't think you can be arrested for trespassing unless there are obvious signs posted. If you are asked to leave, and don't, that's when it becomes trespassing.

I'm looking for a recent map with inholdings listed. I'll post back if I find something.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast