WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images

Chameleon Owners: What are your likes & dislikes?

I have been patiently waiting for the Chameleons public release, now that it appears on the horizon I am curious what folks with real world time in this hammock have to say about it?

What are your likes and dislikes/pros and cons? I am particularly interested in the perceived negatives/dislikes/cons of the system, if there are any. Honestly, it would not surprise me if there weren't but before I spend the coin, I would love to hear the opinion of the hangers that use them. Fabric thoughts? Go Wide? (I'm 6'2" 290lbs). Attachment tidbits? (Peak shelf looks awesome). Suspension? Anything you wish you had added/not added at time of purchase?
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm pretty unhappy with not having one....yet.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    I feel your pain! The struggle is real.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    I only have a few nights in mine but I really like the:

Zipper system
    Flexibility with the different tops
    Accessories - especially the peak loft
    Quilt hooks

Not sure I hit anything that is a negative yet.
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    Haha! Right there with you JmBoh. I just might have to get off the bench and order one on Monday when Dutch makes them available on his site.

Burg54, as you can tell, I don't have one...but I have been reading a lot and watching the reviews and I do not remember any signficant issues. There was one that found the Hexon 1.0 more stretchy then they would have thought, but you would be going with the 1.6 (which is rated up to 350lbs) or 2.4 (up to 400lbs). Some that have had other hammocks said there was a little learning curve since storage was different, but that isn't a complaint. I will be interested to hear what others have to say in response to your ask! I will be watching since I think I might order mne Monday moring, especially if I should order mine wide or not (since I am just 5' 7").

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heyduff View Post
    Haha! Right there with you JmBoh. I just might have to get off the bench and order one on Monday when Dutch makes them available on his site.

Burg54, as you can tell, I don't have one...but I have been reading a lot and watching the reviews and I do not remember any signficant issues. There was one that found the Hexon 1.0 more stretchy then they would have thought, but you would be going with the 1.6 (which is rated up to 350lbs) or 2.4 (up to 400lbs). Some that have had other hammocks said there was a little learning curve since storage was different, but that isn't a complaint. I will be interested to hear what others have to say in response to your ask! I will be watching since I think I might order mne Monday moring, especially if I should order mine wide or not (since I am just 5' 7").
    Thanks for the reply. I have been paying attention as well over the last couple months and sure dont remember any negatives being discussed. I will def be going 1.6 wide or 2.4 (wish it came in wide). I am coming from a double layer 1.7 XLC (so 3.4oz of firmy goodness) and love the support that it offers.

Anyone know if the Chameleon will be offered in a double layer? A DL 1.6 Wide sounds like the prefect setup for me.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Burg54 -- I haven't seen anything said, from Dutch or anyone, that the Chameleon will be made as a double layer, but, a las, that can change--and after the surge in this hammock setup settles down, who knows, Dutch may have breathing room to custom one for you. If you like things more firm, the 2.4 will be for you. The downside, if you utilized it, you would not be able to put an insulating layer between the hammock layers if you got just a single, but seems most have moved to UQs so that isn't much of an issue these days. I also did read, from a lighter person, that the 1.6 supported him better than the 1.0, so that helps confirm, you might want to look at the 2.4 over the 1.6.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I obviously don't own a Chameleon; but I've read quite a few posts about it. Honestly, everyone seems to love it. The only thing I remember reading or watching that could be classified as a minor issue, is that design of the zippers makes it so they may stick a little when opening or closing. Obviously, it's a small trade-off to allow for the reversible bug net/top cover. And I can't imagine anyone not purchasing the Chameleon just because the zipper might not be quite as smooth as what they're used to. And if I remember correctly, the zipper sticking doesn't even happen that often.

I'm pretty sure that if you purchase the Chameleon, you'll be very happy with it. There's enough anecdotal evidence out there to attest to its quality/comfort. But in the off-chance you do not like it, I'm sure you would have zero issues selling it here!

Hammock
    Still testing
    Tarp
    Various 12 ft
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by heyduff View Post
    you might want to look at the 2.4 over the 1.6.
    I am similar in height/weight to Burg54 so I have similar concerns. Does the 2.4 come in wide? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the kick starter. If not, I wonder what is more important. The extra support of the 2.4 or the extra width of the 1.6 wide.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Fickle1 View Post
    I am similar in height/weight to Burg54 so I have similar concerns. Does the 2.4 come in wide? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the kick starter. If not, I wonder what is more important. The extra support of the 2.4 or the extra width of the 1.6 wide.
    Looks like no, Fickle1.

2 Samuel 22 (senior member) said in another thread:
    "I love all my Dutchware hammocks, but especially the ones made with Hexon 1.6 Wide and knotty mods. Hexon 2.4 is also great, just wish it was available in wide too."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast